1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Smallest Second Unit in NBA History?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pollaxt, Feb 21, 2008.

1. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

In recent weeks, we've had this lineup starting the 2nd quarter -

Brooks
    Head
    Bonzi
    Landry
    Hayes

Now, that frontcourt tended to make me cringe, with an average height of 6'7", but Bonzi tended to make up for the lack of size by rebounding the ball well on both sides of the court. Also, with that lineup, the offensive scheme resorted to posting up Bonzi and letting him try to take it the basket to make 50% of his layups or get fouled to make 50% of his free throws. And for the most part, I was alright with that. It killed the 3-4 requisite minutes for Yao came back in the game.

But now...

Brooks (6'0"/161)
    Jackson (6'1"/185)
    Head (6'3"/185)
    Landry (6'8"/248)
    Hayes (6'6"/236)

That's what we're looking at folks. Averaging 6'3" in height with the average weight of 203 pounds, say hello to the Houston Luchadores. Rey Mysterio would be awesome running a fast break.

Teams are going to post us up like crazy. Teams are going to kill us on the boards, particularly on the defensive side as lateral quickness (that Hayes and Landry rely on to grab their offensive rebounds) tend to be outweighed by height and size. Bobby Jackson and Head aren't going to help us there. And from the looks of it, our offensive gameplan with that lineup will consist of Brooks, Jackson and Head throwing up 3's and praying Landry and Hayes can get the rebound. And the fact is, there's really nothing we can do to fix it. You could put Battier in at the 3 spot, but then he would drop dead of exhaustion by May, playing well over 40 minutes a game. Besides Tmac and Battier, there is no one else that can play spot. And thinking of Kirk Snyder as the answer makes me want to weep.

The truth of the matter is Jackson and Head are redundant. There is nothing Jackson (even at his advance age) can't do that Head can. So I have to believe there's something else in play here. Something else needs to happen. We need a bigger bodied swingman and having Jackson here makes Head and Brooks to certain extent, very expendable. Mike Miller or Ron Artest. Either of them fit the bill. But if that doesn't happen. If the Rockets brass is truly fine with having that lineup start the 2nd quarter, well then...Jeebus save us all.

2. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Jackson could fight with Head for minutes while someone else takes Bonzi's place in the 2nd quarter unit. I won't mess with more potential scenarios, but you are being WAY too presumptuous with your take on the trade

3. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

You better get Kirk ready or trade for 6'7" type SG/SF quick.

4. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Calm down, we will almost never be playing a full bench lineup.

Bonzi was being used much more like a big forward than an SG anyway, and Landry can take those minutes. This is the smallest lineup we will ever have unless Adelman is doing something gimmicky.

Scola
    Landry
    Head
    Jackson
    Brooks

That's a pretty good offensive lineup and defensively it could be effective applying a zone, press, or trap. Defending postups is a problem, but I think Adelman is smart enough to use this lineup selectively.

5. drich

drich Member

Brooks more like 5'8" maybe 5'10" i saw him in person and i am 6'5" and my wife is 5'11". my wife was a little taller than him and according to his stats he should be somewhere in between myself and my wife height

6. pollaxt

Scola usually plays the whole first quarter. When will he rest?

7. rage

rage Member

If more size and toughness in the line-up is what you want then Bobby Jackson is helping it, not hurt.

Bobby will take up playing time of Alston, Brooks and Head, that is a plus. (Yes, Bobby is shorter than Altson but much tougher)

Battier, Scola, Landry, Hayes will take up Bonzi's minutes, that is another plus.

8. pollaxt

That's the point, there's is no one else on this team to take Bonzi's place.

9. pollaxt

So you're going to count on 2 of our starters and 2 backup PFs that actually play with Bonzi on the 2nd team to replace Bonzi?

10. University Blue

Did the Denver team that upset Seattle have Michael Adams and Fat Lever in the backcourt? Now, that was a small lineup.

Houston has approximately two hours to add some toughness.

11. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Why are you assuming RA cant change up his rotation a bit. Luther Head will never be playing as a SF. Besides, I dont think I ever remember both Tmac and Yao starting the second quarter on the bench at the same time, much less all five starters.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Was there a rule change I missed where you have to have either 5 starters or 5 reserves on the court at all times?

13. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

man this is depressing, especially when knowing what the lakers (Odom-Bynum-Gasol), san antonio, phoenix can have 2-3 seven footers on the floor at the same time.

14. TrailerMonkey

TrailerMonkey Member

Psshaww, who cares about facts like that?? Now's time to rejoice in acquiring a point guard with the shooting ability of Rafer, the size of Aaron, and the passing ability of Head!!! Oh wait, theres more good news! Jackson's older than all of them combined!! Awesome!

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

You forgot "fragile." How long will he stay on the floor this year before he is hurt?

16. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Jackson's a better shooter than Rafer. He played lousy in the beginning of the season but has shot very well, esp 3pt% in the last couple of months.
    He has a good A/TO ratio and is overall a smart player. What our team has been lacking is a reliable backup pg who knows when to push the ball and how not to turn it over. Sounds like an easy skill, but James and Francis couldn't handle it and Brooks is still learning. Bobby Jackson is going to be a great teacher for Brooks, too. He's one of the savvier scoring point guards in the league, which is perfect for mentoring Brooks.

17. TrailerMonkey

TrailerMonkey Member

I heard through the grapevine that he's hurt already. Shortly after passing the Rockets' physical, he dropped a can of Ensure on his left toe. His entire left leg shattered and he'll be wheelchair bound until the beginning of 2010. Sucks, I know.

18. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Just got bigger with the Green Trade

19. rage

rage Member

Since when does BB have a rule that you can not sub a player for any other player? :)

What I said was when we had Bonzi, all of those guys could lose some of their minutes. Now one or others, depending on match-up, will get a few more minutes.

20. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

OMG we lost Bonzi, MJ, and KS!!! Teams are going to kill us on the boards now.... please dude... please...