1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Significance of Rafer Alston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Nov 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. solid

solid Contributing Member

"Eductate!?" Does that have anything to do with duct tape?

2. BigPun662

BigPun662 Member

im so close to saying..... "we will not win the finals with rafer at the...."...(sighhhhh)......i just cant.....(tears) :(

3. ssk256

ssk256 Member

Regardless of his horrible offense, no rafer, no win. Just look at the playoffs, and last nights game.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This thread just got

[​IMG]

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

^^^ *snicker*

The significance of Rafer Alston not getting abused by Chris Paul every time they meet.

A win.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

rofl. Just what i was thinking. But i rater see a pic of AB owning CP3. Instead of rafer....

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I have to admit. I did not expect the Rockets to shutdown the Paul the way they did. But be honest, guys. No one expected it. The Rockets played smarter offense, awesome team defense, and they got it done tonight.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Certainly, but I wouldn't expect Rafer to shut down Paul either. Imagine for one second what fans would be saying right now if Rafer played tonight. The word "key" comes to mind ... as does leader, defender, runs the offense and other such invisible-to-the-box score contributions that all would say Rafer was the difference from San Antonio to New Orleans.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

I don't see how this thread got owned, unless you guys think we could go a whole season with Luther Head as the backup pg.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yeah, we won't be hearing from the rafer leadership crew. I wonder if DD is back with his wife from the winery. I hear crickets......

11. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Great defense played by Brooks tonight! I never saw it coming. But just to be fair, I still remember Rafer playing pretty good defense on Paul also last year when we won our 18th straight game.

Look at 5:44 and 7:57
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MZK-cxCJrEg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MZK-cxCJrEg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The strategy with Chris Paul is that you want him to shoot the ball rather than pass it, which is what Rafer did in that one game, and it seems that was the same strategy of Brooks in this game.

12. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Today was different mainly because of the match ups.
    The Hornets had no answer for Yao, while the Spurs on the other hand had 3 Time MVP Duncan. Tonights strategy was simple, get the ball to Yao.
    Brooks took a giant step tonight, sacrificing his scoring ability in order to run the offense a bit more.
    But the original poster is right. Rafer knows this team best and I believe Yao and T-Mac are still more comfortable getting the ball from him.
    However, these last two games were a blessing in disguise, as they got our back up PGs some quality time against two well coached teams that we very well may be seeing this post season.
    I believe Brooks still has a bit or work to do if he is going to take Rafers starting position.
    Rafer is more established at controlling the clock and distributing the ball. He is also acts as a 'leader' on and off the floor.
    For now I am still satisfied with Rafer as starting PG.

13. Hmm

Hmm Member

no.. but we certaintly could go the whole season with Alston as the backup pg..

14. llRainmanll

llRainmanll Member

i try to tell you guys, besides the lakers game, we play good teams good and bad teams bad, i think it's a mixture between overlooking the weaker teams and playing up to the fans expectations against the stronger teams.

i think head did a good job of containing chris paul, brooks did a good job too, i think we're slowly getting better game-by-game, our offense is flowing better, and like someone stated before, i like having mcgrady with the bench players.

if rafer gets his shot back, he'll be helping us a lot, cuz those missed 3's are something wafer or brooks could come in the game and hit, and barry just needs to suck it up and play.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yes we could but we are a better team right now with Rafer starting and Aaron coming off of the bench.

16. Hmm

Hmm Member

this season.. the above hasn't proven to be quite the undeniable fact..

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I got back, great day, lots of wine, and just finished watching the DVR of the game.

Not a shock to me to see Brooks hound CP3 all night.....but I am sure it is shocking to the Rafer apologists.

But..but..but...we can't win with Brooks starting.....

Funny how taking the ball away from Tmac late in tonight's game equals a win...guess we should have let AB do his thing last night too.

DD

18. LoveRoxHateJazz

The fact still remains, the Rockets are scary good when Rafer shoots well. When this team is at full strength, the Rocekts are the best team in the NBA.

[​IMG]

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

That has happened in 12.5% of the games he has played so far this year.....1 in 8.....

Can you win a playoff series by doing well 1 every 8 games?

;)

DD

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Thank GOD the Cavalry arrived......you sir have more patience than I....and much better timing.

DD