1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Significance of Rafer Alston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Nov 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

After a remark like that, you have proven you have no clue.

DD

2. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Rafer doesn't contain or control him either......but at least with AB we have someone that CP3 is forced to actually GUARD....and we can minimize him on the defensive end by forcing him to stay engaged with his own man instead of digging the ball out on Yao.

DD

3. abc2007

abc2007 Member

DD, you are in a crazy mode right now! Just calm down! Life is beautiful! :D

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I am heading to wine country today with my beautiful wife.

I try my hardest to eductate the masses, but I can't force them to learn.

Understanding the game and the human nature that lies behind it, is hard for most people to grasp.

When you are Barrack Obama, it is hard to teach the Sarah Palin's of the world.

;)

DD

5. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I pretty much agree. At least Brooks is so guick and he looks to drive more which should make CP play a little defense.

But down the stretch, Rafer is better at controling the tempo. He runs the offense better. Rafer is more of a scorer.

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I said he would be a solid backup pg. I think if we could get what we need out of our supposed big 3 then he is good enough to start. Unfortunately, we don't have a better option at the moment. I'd like a Steve Blake, but it would come at the expense of AB's minutes (and I think it's important he continues to learn and develop).

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

King, I think you and I are in total agreement. If we had Blake and AB, Rafer would neve see the floor.

DD

8. Just2MuchHype

Just2MuchHype Member

Look for all the criticism that Rafer Alston gets for his FG %, he is still our point guard. He knows how to set up the players in their sets. You saw it in the playoffs without Alston, we were below average.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

DD, you're never going to get people to believe rafer isn't a championship quality guard. Nevermind the fact when he was out for 8 games last yr we went 6-2. Nevermind the fact the team scored 96 and gave up 86. They will discount that and say rafer made the team better in street clothes. The biggest problem the rox had is because brooks had to start meant luther had to be the backup. That was the biggest problem.

10. LoveRoxHateJazz

That's a lie. The score was 58-54 at the half, and the Rockets came back within one single point after being down by 16 points. Rafer went out, Williams hit a 3 and it all went to hell.

When you're bringing up last years playoff series to prove Rafer is not championship material, you lose all credibility.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

The reason I don't want Brooks starting is because that means his main job is to get our stars the ball. It's pretty clear that is not his strong point. He has a total of 3 ast in the last two games. He's better coming off the bench and looking to score. He looks way more comfortable as a scorer as opposed to being more of a distributer.

12. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

You can sit up on your perch and have Radical Thoughts About Rafer with your buddy and go back and forth with just him in a way to be condescending to other posters, but this is the Rockets Talk forum, leave your boy B.O. out of this.

13. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

People get on Rafer too much on this forum man.... calling him the worst starting PG in the league and stuff like that. Rafer is top 10 starting PGs in the league, if not top 5. Seriously. He's a decent defender, much better than Brooks, and he's great at running the offense, he's quick with great ball-handling and he's a pass first oriented point guard who can make plays. Yes, Rafer is an inconsistent and streaky shooter, but when he's hitting that makes him even more dangerous. Brooks is a great spark off the bench, and a great 6th, 7th man, but he's not a starting PG. We missed Rafer last night, and we'll miss him again tonight against Chris Paul.

14. abc2007

abc2007 Member

That goes too far! :D

15. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Brooks is good in spurts. he scores in bunches. and he's good for that period of time when he's scoring. but thats about it. He's like Carl landry, they are good in spurts. I call them spurt players. but once opposing defenses key in on them, their weakness are exposed and you get what happened last night against the spurs.

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Extremely too far. Top 5 PG but he doesn't even lead his team in assist? Thats one bad thing about Rafer. Hes our safest PG, but you won't see him creating plays. How many times does Rafer break down the defense, attack the rim and kick it back out? Its rare. Thats why it is no surprise that T-Mac is leading the team is assist.

17. King1

A top 5-10 pg? Do you even watch basketball?

Wrong post. I am responding to the dude who said Rafer is a top 5-10 pg in the league. My bad

18. King1

Agreed

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I see what loser you voted for
    :eek: . I've been here long enough to know what forum this is also.

20. Tmacfan0115

Tmacfan0115 Member

Rafer is the most underrated player on this team, The only problem is he might take too many 3's. After that he is the best PG on the team and a Top 15 PG at the very least in the league.

Raf > Brooks.