1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Significance of Rafer Alston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Nov 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Exactly, and he's shot 3/28 in 3 of the last 4 games, regardless of who was playing PG. I truly think his sucking is mostly independent of who is playing PG, whether it's due to injury or whatever other factors.

2. BrooksBall

Actually, when Alston plays and T-Mac has a bad game, more often than not, people dog Rafer and T-Mac.

As you can see, plenty of people are slamming both Brooks and McGrady after this game.

In other words, we are equal opportunity haters. Nobody gets a free ride.

People, like myself, that are defending Brooks, are simply arguing that Alston wasn't necessarily the difference in this game and that even if he was, Brooks should still start because he has the potential to help this team more. At least until we find a better option than both.

3. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I feel the failure of signing James and Francis last season is holding Morey back to make a trade for a good pg this season. After all, he is a 2nd year GM.

I think I heard Morey said Rafer was good enough when a host asked him on a radio show recently. Actully, he was very angry to be asked this question. He said the host was 'nagitive'.

I hope you are right. Hopefully, Morey will make a move!

4. LoveRoxHateJazz

That whole thing about T-Mac and sleep seems valid. He always kicks ass during the later starts. More sleep = more focus. He gets less sleep on back 2 backs.

He always plays bad when Rafer sits out.

I'm trying to be positive since I didn't watch most of the game.

It's official, the Rockets would have won this game by more if Alston was in. :D

You get your props if the Lakers win 66+ Mr. Brooks.

5. BigPun662

BigPun662 Member

im tired of hearing this...like no one else on earth can run the rockets offense....give me a break!!!

maybe rafer is all we know....

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Exactly - a crutch.

How great was that offense that Rafer was running against the Lakers? Rafer is a crutch.....a decent backup and when he is hitting his 3s a valuable player.

When he is not shooting well, he should ride the pine.

DD

7. BigPun662

BigPun662 Member

THANK YOU.... a rocket fan with credibility! 40000 posts and counting...congrats!

8. LoveRoxHateJazz

We ain't gettin no PG. It's not that easy. That is the most important position, the quarter back of basketball. Our only hope is for Rafer to get better as the season progresses and start making those shots. No team can beat us when he does. That is how good he can make the Rockets.

Get used to it. And the bandwagon never closes, see you guys tomorrow.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Get USED TO IT???

4 years of CRAPPY inconsistent shooting, and hardly any setting up of teamates is enough.

The guys started because he was the best option (BEFORE AB) but to say he is decent is a flat out lie....

The reason the team has been constantly bringing in PGs...is because they can see the obvious....RAFER SUCKS.

DD

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Clearly, the Rockets miss their leader

[​IMG]

Rockets tends to lose whenever the Leader misses the game.

11. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Haha. This is actually true, as sad as that is.

You would think it's missing Yao or T-Mac or now it would be Artest as well.

12. LoveRoxHateJazz

Yes, get used to it. 22-0.

Rafer is the heart of this team, and Battier is the glue that holds it together.

2006 NBA standings
    Houston 34-48
    Memphis 49-33

The Grizzlies swept the Rockets, 4-0.

Battier traded to Houston

2007 NBA Standings
    Houson 52-30 +18
    Memphis 22-60 -27

The Rockets swept the Grizzlies, 4-0.

The Rockets, (especially Yao) miss Battier and his spot up 3 point shooting.

The Rockets, at full strength, with Rafer shooting well enough are unbeatable.

13. BrooksBall

I don't want props. I want the Rockets to not look like a can of suck.

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

actually, its more of having no backup for AB. Then the lost of Rafer. You can see the games, AB comes out charging everytime he comes in to the game, but not today, as he do not have a back-up, and there is no barry to help him dictate the tempo.

This the exact reason why i say, rox should keep Strawberry than Wafer. Back-up PG. Rox played badly the first game when missing AB to injury as well.

15. Dr.B

Dr.B Member

Indeed Rafer is able to run the floor in transition, he just cannot shoot the ball well. The problem is he's got to learn how to adjust his game as his shooting percentage is on the bottom.

16. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I agree. I like Wafer, but I felt that DJ Strawberry filled a greater need for the team. Imagine him attacking the basket and getting Hill into foul trouble.....

17. BrooksBall

Or imagine him turning the ball over and missing outside shots.

You can't just look at the best-case scenario. There is a reason he hasn't stuck anywhere just like there is a reason that nobody in the league wants to take Head off our hands.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Oh no, this again.... its bordering on disturbing... as is the lack of humor of some of these posters :)

This is on McGrady. All the talented star players were averge to regular yet he was one of the worst guys out there. Its strange seeing him, Yao and Artest rotate turns or work in tandem to be liabilities on the court.

19. anson-ke

anson-ke Member

Rafer Alston is the best player as a starter in his position.

Brooks is the better choice for bench off...

it is proved!!!

believe me!

20. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You are almost completely wrong. First off, I had a bad feeling about the reactions to Brooks first game as a starter. People had already started turning him into the "next Chris Paul, Iverson,ect..." Those are unfair expectaitions. Give the kid a break.

Brooks played poorly tonight. That's plain and simple. 6-17 and getting torched by George Hill. If Rafer shoots 6-17, I promise you and a whole bunch of others are here placing a large part of the loss on him. Don't lie. Let's live in the real world. There was no reason for Brooks to take 17 shots. Our offense doesn't dictate that our pg does that. Spin the one assist however you'd like ,but the bottom line is Brooks is not a natural pg right now He's a scorer. Our first team doesn't operate like that. It's not Brooks's fault either. He's young and just learning how to play. Defense is, and will always be his weakness. That's just going to have to be something we live with. I'm not down on AB at all. I love his future with us. Right now, he's a great scoring guard off the bench. End of story.

You obviously really undermine the intangibles that Rafer brings to the game. That's cool too. A lot of our fans don't see them either. Rafer is a good defender. I'm quite confident he doesn't get torched by George Hill tonight. He carries a certain respect amongst our team and knows how to get us in the offense. I honestly belive we win tonight with him in the starting lineup.

There's a couple of things that play into this though. Brooks is a scoring guard off the bench. With him in the starting lineup we lose that much needed spark. Plus, he needs to be allowed to play his game. That doesn't fit with our current starting unit. We need Rafer to start. Just the way it is. Regardless, the loss is on the Rockets. Not Aaron Brooks, not Rafer Alston. No matter what we should have beat SA. They aren't a good team right now.