1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

The Significance of Rafer Alston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Nov 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I'll be the first to say it: Rafer looked good tonight. He played smart other than a couple of boneheaded plays. He also shot well but we can't expect that to be the norm.

Brooks was not consistent but would have had 7 or 8 assists if players hit wide open shots he created for them. A couple of rookie-like TOs: driving with nowhere to go and getting the ball poked away on the perimeter. He also forced up a couple of bad shots.

Brooks: 8 pts (2-5 fg, 4-4 ft), 4 ast, 0 reb, 1 stl, 3 to in 20 min

Alston: 13 pts (6-13 fg, 0-0 ft), 3 ast, 3 reb, 1 stl, 2 to in 31 min

The fact is though that it's extremely rare for Rafer to shoot 46% from the field. If he did that regularly, that would change a lot of things. He also didn't get to the line once.

#261 BrooksBall, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I think you misunderstood what the "predictable" mean here. Unless you are a star player, in that case, you can do whatever you are pleased, you are required to stick to the game plan. The plan is not necessarily just dump into the post, etc, it usually has various options. Use the two-men game from the weak side as an example, the first option is to dump the ball to Yao IF he has a good post position; otherwise Yao can move up, set a back screen for the wing player. If that is not available, the ball can swing to the strong side. All these options are part of the play, and that's called good predictable offense. Alston can easily initiate the play either by dribbling to the wing, or directing another player there promptly, that's what this team needs from him.

I'm not say Alston is the right PG, or a great player, but I do think he fits with the team better than all other PGs we have had since he was here. I can understand those TV-fans got emotionally caught up, and want to trade every players away; but I'm very surprise by the reaction from some veteran fans, they should know the game better to make those comments. There is a reason Alston started under both JVG and RA.

3. Hmm

Hmm Member

you state he misunderstood what you meant by "predictability".. by defining it.. just as he understood it..?

Alston's biggest competition since his arrival here.. and before Brooks... were the likes of.. an injured Bob Sura.. Mike James.. and a was-he-ever-here-Steve Francis..

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Question:

How many of our opponents would rather game plan their defensive strategy to account for Brooks or Rafer on offense?

My Answer: I would bet it would almost be unanimous that practically every team in the NBA would rather build their defensive game plan around forcing Rafer to take shots as opposed to having to figure out what to do with Brooks defensively.

Next question: Offensively, how many teams would prefer to game plan around exploiting Brooks defensively as opposed to exploiting Rafer?

My Answer: Probably a few, like San Antonio, that run a tight, tight system designed to find and exploit defensive weakness and iso on a defensively weak player. But not enough to make a significant difference.

Next question: How much better defensively is Rafer out there with Artest/Battier/Hayes/Yao than Brooks is with the same crew?

My Answer: It is negligible.

I'm sure there are plenty of you that will disagree.

But I still say, Rafer's significance on this team is simply to pacify superstars like Mcgrady and Yao.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have suspected this for some time, especially because of public comments about Rafer made by TMac.

6. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6151338.html

The section of the article in today's edition of the Chronicle that is titled "Opening up the offense" pretty much epitomizes the title of this thread altogether, even though it is a few weeks old. What do you guys all think?

7. Sirton

Sirton Contributing Member

8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

by reading that article, and quotes from RA, you get the feeling that even RA does not really know which rafer will turn out. The beast mode or the brick mode.

9. BigPun662

BigPun662 Member

No significance you idiots!! You people are so blinded because rafer is all you know. of course he bound to have a couple of good game here in the there, it's law of percentages. i bet one of you could go out there and run the team fairly well if you were the starting PG for the last four years. What's next, Luther should be are starting shooting guard?

Worst back court in the history of the NBA: rafer and luther

10. Ready

Ready Member

Rafer is our point guard....POINT BLANK PERIOD!

Everybody needs to stop dreaming about him not being our starter.
    He is a GREAT FIT for the team. As long as he doesnt suspend himself!

11. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

Agreed

At least he is our best PG at the moment, until Morey trade a better one, but i think this chance may almost can neglect, now we are competive team in the western..

12. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Since you're so smart, what do you propose we do about the PG situation? Or are you one of those types who just talks and doesn't think? Probably that kind. Sorry for bugging you.

13. BigPun662

BigPun662 Member

i really dont have time since it's time for finals but do you understand we have done nothing with Rafer at the helm. It's time for a change, rafer couldnt make it in Miami or Toronto. What makes you think he'll make this team better? we need a change, that's all i'm saying. That's not for me to decide, it's management. But since Tmac of all people thinks Rafer is the best floor general for the team, then they will keep him until everyone leaves. Look, i'm a huge fan and i HOPE the rockets do well with rafer, but from what ive seen the last fews year, it aint happening. our backup is too small and our supposed savior (SF3) has insecurities or is just plain washed up. Rafer is all we know so of course it seems like he's the best fit. S***, some people still think President Bush is the best fit since he's all we've known for the last eight years. It's time for a change!

I'll give him credit, he has played very well these last few games without Tmac. If it continues then i am dead wrong and you can go off on me. And please dont get me started on Luther "i wouldnt get playing time on any contender" head.

14. BrooksBall

The Insignificance of Rafer Alston?

15. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I want AB to start now. But when I started this thread, It made sense, AB's stat line was 6-17 shooting and the team was out of sync.

Who gives a **** anyhow. Its all up to Adelman.

16. LoveRoxHateJazz

Dude, relax. Just because Brooks has game, doesn't mean Rafer is insignificant.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Nope as long as Luther Head is the only other backup PG alternative Rafer has a place.

DD

18. BrooksBall

Breathing slowly and deliberately... once, twice, three times.

Ok, I'm relaxed now. :)

Thanks for the advice. Send me your bill.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Don't feel bad WMJ... not your fault. I agree this thread seemed so logical when it was made, but then it completely dropped off a cliff. It was the event that triggered the opposite of it to be true.

Basically it should be re-titled, <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=136908">"After one game, what's a Rafer Hater to do?"</a>

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Dang, I was angry..

LOL.

And since that game...5-0 as a starter, and they would have beaten the Spurs too if Tmac didn't come in with 4 minutes left and take the ball out of Brooks hands.....right in front of me and my glorious center court seats.

DD