1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The shift is not dead

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jayfree, Mar 5, 2023.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Today's Astros/Venezuela game was played without any of the new rules and we had a classic 1920s 3 hour and 45 minute game.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

And nobody died.

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Actually the game was 69 minutes longer than average.

World wide approximately 107 people die per minute.

So about 7383 people died during the game who would have lived to see the end if it was only average length.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

And did you hear any complaints?

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

touche'

raining threes likes this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Shifting like its 19 ... 69 ...

[​IMG]

#26 No Worries, Mar 26, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  7. raining threes

Deep into the numbers.

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Yes. Before this year no human ever complained when a baseball game went 2.5 hours or less, it would be praised. There are plenty of complaints when 9 inning games go 3.5+ hours.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

So we should eliminate baseball entirely because people die for reasons totally unrelated to baseball during the games?

10. Buck Turgidson

It's not really the time it's the pace. That's why pitchers who work fast (and hitters who don't dick around adjusting velcro between each pitch) are universally praised.

marks0223 likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

As someone who has been to a 4-hour+ 9 inning game (and a few 3.5+hr games) during the week, I will say the time matters, too. Damn Rays pitching changes. Damn Rays pitchers taking their sweet time between pitches. Damn Devo for snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.

12. Buck Turgidson

Oh I get it. I've just never personally had a reason to care about time while at a baseball game.

It's different when watching at home. Especially with the West Coast starts..."let's ****ing go, I do in fact have to go to bed eventually so I can wake up in [checks clock] about 6 hours"

13. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Maybe I’m alone on this, but I feel like the bigger issue is with postseason games. And frankly I don’t gaf if a playoff game goes 5 hours. Some of the best ones have.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep, I try to watch games during the week at home. It just seems like once every month or so, I can convince myself it won't be too bad if we go to this time during the week. Or a friend with season tickets can't make a game and asks us if we want their seats (it is aginst my principles to turn down free seats). Most games are fine, but it seems like there is one day a year that I am just hurting at work during the regular season.

P.S. Open door work policies suck. Open office work concepts suck worse. I miss the days that I could close my office door, and people left me alone until caffeine had jump started my brain such that I could deal with people.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Most definitely pitchers/batters are worse about taking their sweet time during the postseason. I'm much more willing to accept long postseason games than regular season games. That said, I am really looking forward to postseason this year as they are enjoyable even with the delays (on the assumption the Astros have good health this season). They should be even better with better pace.

16. Buck Turgidson

Back when I lived in Houston and had an actual job, there was many a post-MMP weekday morning where I would, if I could, just close the door to my office and take a nap on the couch.