1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Shanghai Sharks: or why the Rockets are the most watched team in China

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cptnbreakdance, Jul 5, 2013.

1. cptnbreakdance

The Houston Rockets are still the biggest name in basketball in China thanks to the time with Yao Ming.

Rockets' games were consistently watched by over 300 MILLION households in China last season. Compare that to the roughly 2 million households that had access to Rockets' games in the Houston area, and it is pretty clear how huge a factor the revenue generated by our overseas market has on this team.

When players like Chuck Hayes (still one of my favorite Rockets) and Luis Scola get lucrative shoe and clothing deals, you know you've got a good fan-base.

I can't help but think that this has to be at least somewhat appealing to free agents who are looking to make a global brand for themselves *cough* D12 *cough* :grin:

What are your thoughts on the Rockets' global footprint?

2. Karolik

Karolik Member

wait...I thought it was because of Lin?

1 person likes this.
  3. yxx1218

yxx1218 Member

I love Rockets, not just because Yao or Lin, it's been a very long time since we first know this team, back up this team, finally we truely fall in love with this organization.
    我爱火箭队,不只是因为姚明或者林书豪,因为自从第一次知道球队,然后支持着球队以来真的过了很久,直到最终我们真正爱上了这样一个组织。

3 people like this.
  4. RUDYG

RUDYG Member

I love china

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Due to the CSN Houston fiasco, 2 million households in Houston do not have access to Rockets' games.

6. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Jeremy brings in the rest of Asia.

I doubt they care about the Shanghai Sharks in Tawain or the Phillipines.

1 person likes this.
  7. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

He had the opportunity for that last year and he didn't want it. Regardless of where Howard goes in the next 3 years his net worth will be well over $120 million. And Howard's shoes will sale all over the world regardless of what team he's on. He's not Chuck.

8. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Where did you get these numbers from? 300 million households sound like a lot. I read on a Chinese forum someone asking which NBA team is shown the most in their area and a lot of responses say Lakers/Kobe. And some of them say a lot of families in China don't have TVs. Some watch the games on the Internet.

9. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Yao and Lin

10. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

ShYao Lin wassup.

11. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

I did some Googling. This webpage says about 300 million household have pay TV in China. It has nothing to do with the Rockets, not exclusively anyway.

http://china-screen-news.com/2011/0...ay-tv-households-in-2016-digital-tv-research/

12. tenit86

tenit86 Member

Good S#it man!!!

13. cptnbreakdance

Ah, I thought I remember reading a quote in the Chron by Morey talking about that many people watching rockets games last season. Wouldn't have been the first time I've had a brain fart.

14. yxx1218

yxx1218 Member

definitely!!!