1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Season that Never Was

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rox4lyf, Feb 10, 2009.

1. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

It's been a very frustrating season so far. With all the injuries and the inconsistencies, the season that was supposed to be the one where the Rockets make some noise in the playoffs is the season that never was. I'm here to voice out my frustrations and vent a little after following this specific team everyday, from its elimination from game 6 against utah, to the drafting of donte greene, then to the trade for ron artest, and finally to this recent loss against the injured Milwaukee Bucks. It's been an up and down season. I've experienced the highest of highs when we opened up the season 2-0, defeating Dallas on national TV, projecting how our big 3 may look at the end of the season. Then, when we got destroyed by the Lakers, I made excuses, I looked at the glass half full. McGrady isn't fully healthy, neither is Yao, and hey, Battier didn't even play. He would have shut down Kobe for sure! Now, it has come to the point where the Rockets have everybody in their lineup, not all healthy, but enough to beat the lowly teams they have lost to recently. Problem is, they have not. The Milwaukee game was the pinnacle of failure. This is what I noticed in the game:

Simply put, Tracy is done for the season. He may return form, but not this season. He has no explosion off his first step like he used to. He can't even get separation from his man coming off the pick n roll (the staple of the Rockets offense for the past 4 years). He's clearly not healthy and looks just as bad as he did in the beginning of the season. Anyone who thinks that 2 weeks off to essentially complete 6 months of rehab is kidding themselves. Tracy underestimated the intensity and length of the rehab process and he and the Rockets are paying for it.

This was the year for the Rockets to come together and win one for the city of Houston. It took one dumb decision to slack off here, a couple of unfortunate injuries to other key players, and just plain bad luck, which all translate into the type of season the Rockets are having so far.

Gosh, what can I say? I hate being a Debbie Downer because I want to see the Rockets win every night. I usually take losses in stride, but after witnessing this game and the other "Philadelphia" games, it's hard to carry out the same sense of optimism as you did the first time around. But, it's over guys. With 30 games left in the season, it's going to take a miracle on 34th street to make this team a championship contender.

I'm frustrated with how this season's going to turn out especially how high my expectations were at the beginning of the season. I really thought the Tmac and Yao duo was going to bring at least one championship to Houston, however it still has not happened. Then, after getting Artest, I was literally jumping for joy, thinking that this was our year. Then, same things happen as they have been happening in the past, and now we see ourselves as a team crumbling before our very eyes. Possibilities of trading Tracy and Artest have surfaced and the once open window of opportunity that we fans all saw when Tracy jumped from Orlando to Houston is pretty much an inch away from closing forever.

I will never give up the Rocket red, but I cannot say I have been any more frustrated with this team as I have this season. This is what they call the straw that broke the camel's back.

In conclusion, a memo to all the bickering going on among the Tmac apologists and the rest of the board members, just remember this and I'm sure some of the vets like tinman and DD will agree with me on this, who do you support: The name on the front of the jersey or the name on the back?

2. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

I feel for you. I used to be the same way. There came a point sometime last year post the streak when I realized that tracy was simply a failure waiting to happen. After that point, I kind of became numb to the feeling of disappointment. Good thing too.

It's like when you know something bad is going to happen, and you face it as a reality rather than a possibility. Expecting the worst, knowing there's a high likelihood that you'll get it. It makes taking losses like this one, and all the other ones, much easier. Because you knew it was coming.

The silver lining is that after tonight, the front office simply has to realize that stubbornly pressing forward with this group is no longer an option. And that's a very, very good thing.

3. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

The team seems to be able to play well against the better teams, but down to the level of some of the worst teams in the league. One has to believe that whoever they play in the playoffs (if they get there, of course) it will be one of the better teams they will play against. I'm not ready to just give up hope yet because of the fact they seem to play better against the better teams in the league.

Hey, at least this team doesn't have a chance to fall down to the depths of the 1982-83 Rockets recordwise.

4. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Well said. The feelings that you express in your post are shared by us all.

5. roksoer

roksoer Member

yes, a great thread, it is what everyone's thinking

6. onreego

onreego Member

Great thread

The name on the front is all that matters, I will bleed red, pajama pinstripe blue, green or whatever color they choose to wear. Its probably time for this team to take a step in a new direction and hopefully Morey will lead them in the right one.

7. Landlord Landry

the cliff notes version:
    [​IMG]

8. 1individual

1individual Member

Quotes from the picture:

T-Mac: Howcome they don't highlight my dunk getting blocked by the rim?
    Adelwoman: I still believe the ball movement wasn't very good
    Barry: hawwwwwwwww 3pt shot from 60 ft!
    Battier: That defense was elite!!!!
    Deke: Not long till i pass Dream for the blocked shots record.
    Alston: How many years till we can get back into the NBA?
    Yao: Eat the head!
    Artest: Mum, i promise to be a good boy now.

9. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Glad to know that I'm not the only one on the board that is frustrated. It took me a while, but I'm over last night. Let's go Rockets!

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The melodrama is getting downright annoying. Jeez, could you guys lather it on any thicker?