1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The search begins for the next manager

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Oct 23, 2023.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Perhaps the OFFICAL search begins now, but Crane and anyone with 2 eyes knew by July this change was coming.

Crane had to be thinking about this for several months already.

2. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

3. conquistador#11

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

He ain't gonna do sheet

5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

The only time I want to see Bagwell at MMP is in statue form.

Stephen66 and Salvy like this.
  6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Walt Weiss would likely be one of the betting favorites.

How about Joe Maddon?

7. Nook

Nook Member

I have asked about this -

The names I have heard connected to the job are: Mark DeRosa, Danny Lehmann, Ramon Vasquez, George Lombard, Eduardo Perez - Joe Espada and Alex Cintron.

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

I enjoy watching Mark DeRosa and his takes. He's always spoken highly of the Astros. Does he have any managerial experience? I thought he was just an analyst....

Htown Stros and desihooper like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

He coached USA in the WBC

Pringles and desihooper like this.
  10. Elienator

Elienator Member

For a team that has gone to the ALCS 7 times in a row, I would say there is value in continuity and the search should start with Espada.

I’m sure it’s an over simplification, but with the Astros struggles hitting at home and with RISP Cintron wouldn’t be the first name I thought of.

RKREBORN likes this.
  11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Didn't like the management of the team USA bullpen especially of Daniel Bard in the WBC...

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Dusty did his job. Helped us come out the other side of the cheating scandal and won a title to boot. Retiring last year would have been a storybook ending to his legacy.

We need to bring in someone who believes in analytics, not hunches or dreams.

Stephen66 likes this.
  13. Jags

Jags Member

Correct me if I’m wrong, but none of these appear to be connected at all with Dana Brown.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Not that I know of.

Several of them have worked for the Astros and/or interviewed with the Astros in the past.

Jags and J.R. like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Some Astros ties, some Puerto Rico guys…

Mark DeRosa: MLB Network analyst; 2023 Team USA WBC manager

Danny Lehmann: Dodgers bench coach

Lehmann was drafted by the Minnesota Twins in the 8th round of the 2007 MLB Draft out of Rice University and played in their farm system until 2013. He spent the final year of his playing career with the Sugar Land Skeeters of the independent Atlantic League.

After his playing career ended, he joined the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2015 as their Advance Video Scout and stayed in that role for three years. In 2018, the Dodgers promoted him to Game Planning and Communications coach. He served as a Dodgers' special assistant in 2019. Lehmann resumed his Game Planning and Communications coaching position in 2020. In 2023, he was promoted to bench coach.

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/05/...managing-followed-a-remarkably-straight-line/

Ramon Vasquez: Red Sox bench coach; former Astros minor league coach/instructor

George Lombard: Tigers bench coach

Lombard spent 2010 as the hitting coach for the Lowell Spinners, Short-Season A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox and served as manager of the Rookie-level Gulf Coast Red Sox in 2011–2012. His teams compiled a 61–59 (.508) overall record, with the 2012 team winning the GCL's South Division. In December 2012, Lombard was promoted by the Red Sox to roving outfield and baserunning coordinator throughout the team's minor league farm system.

He was hired by the Braves in September 2015 to fill the same role and to serve as overall minor league field coordinator in the Atlanta player development system.

On December 17, 2015, it was announced that Lombard would be joining the Los Angeles Dodgers as first base coach, a position he held through the 2020 season. The Dodgers played in three World Series during that time, winning one of them.

On November 7, 2020, Lombard was named the bench coach for the Detroit Tigers.

Eduardo Perez: ESPN Sunday Night Baseball; former Astros bench coach (under Bo Porter)

Joe Espada: current Astros bench coach

Alex Cintron: current Astros hitting coach

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I like Mark DeRosa as a TV personality, especially since he loves the Astros and always give our players props but he wasn't impressive in the WBC managing Team USA even though he got them to champ game. Cintron's name should be crossed out fast just for Pena's regression alone.

Stephen66 likes this.
  17. toby

toby Member

After this year - I think we need some new blood. Espada and cintron, sure interview - but this should be Brown leading the charge.

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

No. He has failed in 2 of 3 jobs. Seems to need Lunhow. His only successful stint is tainted by failure as well. He didn’t stand up and stop the cheating.

Elienator and Stephen66 like this.
  19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Eduardo Perez??? No ****ing way

RocketFan007 likes this.