1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The search begins for the next manager

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Oct 23, 2023.

1. Yordan The Great

I don't understand why Ross is not under consideration.

He had the Cubs a year ahead of schedule. Unfortunately they ran out of gas in September. Losing their closer was a backbreaker.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

They did not want to lose their two younger pitching guru's and Strom also was fine going to Arizona where he had a home and some roots. Strom also could not make a commitment to the Astros beyond a year at a time...... so the decision was made to protect the two proteges and let Strom leave, without bitter feelings.

3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Espada is a free agent. He currently has no contract. Resigning is not an option.

jim1961 likes this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

#404 jim1961, Nov 8, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
  5. Radricky

Radricky Member

Ron Washington to the angels
    Scratch his old ass name off the list

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Part of me wished for Washington for the Diaz and moneyball memes....not for managerial skill.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Congrats to Ron on getting another sh*t.

[​IMG]

IBTL, marks0223 and Radricky like this.
  8. Radricky

Radricky Member

It’s going to be wild seeing how Ron Washington’s happy ass vibes with grumpy ass rendon

9. Nook

Nook Member

They have already talked to some people and interviewed at least Espada.

I am glad that Washington has gone to the Angels, because he is someone that Crane has expressed fondness for in the past.

The Astros need to be careful with Espada, he can likely get the Brewers job if he wants it - and that may be enough for him to uproot his family.

Assuming the Astros can keep Espada in the fold, they can likely take a couple of weeks to make a definitive decision.

Still - If I am Espada, I would not be 100% happy that the Astros have taken so long and has cost me opportunities.

It is possible that the Astros have promised to pay Espada like a manager even if he doesn't get the managerial job.

Hank McDowell, IBTL and The Beard like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Ron Washington would pistol whip his ass and then snort coke off his bloody forehead.

Washington is beloved but he has done and seen somethings and was known as a very tough guy when he was a player.

Radricky likes this.
  11. Radricky

Radricky Member

I look forward to seeing this prophecy fulfilled lol

Nook likes this.
  12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

So are we assuming the new manager won't have the authority to hire their own staff...?

Marshall Bryant and Nook like this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If the Astros have decided they want to keep the staff, or most of the staff then that also must be dealt with during the choosing and acceptance part.

I would think that the older and more experienced a manager is the more he will want his own guys.

Just hire Espada and let's get this on the road.

Stephen66 and Nook like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

I haven't heard anything on that point - but it is a good question.

Most likely it depends on who the next manager is.

Espada is likely to have close to the same staff.

If it is someone like Maddon or Showalter, then they will likely keep one or two coaches that the front office likes and bring in a few of their own people.

At the end of the day - this comes down to whether the Astros ownership and front office believe the coaching has been good - outside of the managers line up - or if they feel the coaching could be better.

FWIW I felt like the defense was not as good as prior seasons, and at times the preparation and adjustments were lacking - but that could be because the Astros were mentally fried.

One thing that I hope is emphasized is the stolen base. Not everyone on the Astros needs to be running, but there are some guys that need to be stealing when they can.

15. toby

toby Member

I'm getting an increasing feeling that we may end up with a co manager situation . . . I don't think this specifically would happen, but for example . . . Espada is manager in name, but there's a heavy hitting bench coach that is . . . more than a bench coach. Some sort of two headed Maldy/Espada thing? Heck, I could even see Ausmus as Espada's Bench Coach. Maybe a better way of describing it is no manager and two bench coaches . . . .

I don't think Crane trusts anyone and the more he can disperse authority, the more he can control.

16. The Beard

The Beard Member

With the recent issues the Angels had with drugs, Wash is a strange hire

Hank McDowell and toby like this.
  17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Wash could play the "John Lucas" role. Speaking of which it seems like almost everyone was implicated in the 80s cocaine scandals in baseball... Dusty included, but not enough there for him to be disciplined in any real way. And in the 90s, everyone was on greenies.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

?

Washington failed a drug test for cocaine while managing the Rangers in 2009.

He said it was " a 1 time transgression"

That has nothing to do with the 80s or 90s

The Beard likes this.
  19. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thank God

Tomstro likes this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

The idea that you SHOULD have an owner who is totally uninvolved, but will sign a blank check is so foreign to reality it should perhaps be classified as a fable.

I see no problem having an owner who is emotionally as well as financially invested in his team. The hands off approach many desire has few examples beyond corporations who called in their loans and they NEVER signed a blank check. I'm still traumatized by the time this happened after Judge Hofheinz creditors controlled the team as a real life example of an emotionally detached owner.

Hey Now! and Stephen66 like this.