1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The search begins for the next manager

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Oct 23, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree with you about what we want in a manager.

That said, Ausmus is a very bright guy and I think many of his "gut" decisions would be based on probabilities and what he has actually seen work, I expect stats/metrics will likely be involved.

The Beard likes this.
  2. raining threes

If they hire Ausmus it's another step away from the direction that Luhnow built. Plus there were questions about Ausmus work ethic as a player. Pass. No to friends of Bagwell

3. raining threes

I hate that Dusty and Strom couldn't work together.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree with you.

I'm just trying to cushion the potential blow and trying to see the sunny side.

As an Astros fan I will support and cheer whoever is chosen, until he shows he doesn't deserve it.

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

...considering that Dusty said in his interview that the job is show up a couple hours before the game and leave half hour after...

On an unrelated note, Wayne Graham is available :D

raining threes likes this.
  6. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Call Francona and see if he wants to pull a Morey...

everyday eddie, Fiah and Wulaw Horn like this.
  7. The Beard

The Beard Member

Game 5, very likely the best baseball game ever played, says hi

Why don’t y’all take your dusty **** to the dusty thread and let’s talk about the FUTURE Astros manager in here

8. The Beard

The Beard Member

I’m definitely not saying I want Ausmus

But I think he would be very analytically driven. He is very smart and very well educated, he wouldn’t be a go with the gut guy

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Any details on this? I know Strom wanting to spend more time with family was the official reason he left, but always suspected it was something else.

10. The Beard

The Beard Member

The New Manager must

1. Be analytically driven

2. Be able to communicate well and work hand in hand with the GM

3. Be able to communicate well and work hand in hand with the Pitching Coach. This one is not just because we lost the best pitching coach in baseball because this couldn't happen, the day to day aspect of baseball is just so difficult when those two aren't on the same page

4. Must have a great rapport with the players but Must keep that on a professional level. You can't be their friends and then make decisions that affect them

I won't sit here and think that I know enough about any of these candidates to know which one fits that the best. It's not just the interview process that Crane and Brown can take them through, for most of these guys Brown at the very least knows them a bit. This is why i'll give whoever they hire the benefit of the doubt, regardless of whether that's Espada, Ausmus or whoever

From the outside looking in I would be most excited about Rodney Linares, but that's my opinion with extremely limited knowledge of who any of these guys really are

All of the fear that Ausmus would be terrible because it would be a Bagwell hire, honestly, is hilarious

Stephen66 and Fiah like this.
  11. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

12. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

2019 or did you forget?

13. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Lmao he is lazy. But I know what this is.

14. BMoney

BMoney Member

Jim Crane has fired a lot of people and has been unwilling to go over his budget on numerous occassions. Dusty Baker would not have driven this, in my opinion. If Strom and Crane wanted their association to continue, it would have.

Rvo384 likes this.
  15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

The Oilers punter? Or is that the wrong Montgomery? Montgomery Ward perhaps?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Astros have begun interviewing candidates for their managerial vacancy from a group that includes current bench coach Joe Espada, general manager Dana Brown said Tuesday.

Brown, speaking at the GM meetings in Scottsdale, Ariz., reiterated that the Astros are “not in a rush” to hire a new manager but offered some further insight into the search for Dusty Baker’s successor.

Brown said the Astros have a list of potential candidates they are working to narrow down to those who will receive interviews. Espada is the lone in-house candidate, he said. Brown suggested a decision could be made in the next two weeks but said that is not a firm timeline.

“This is a successful organization … and it’s challenging to get somebody to come in and feel comfortable that they’re going to come into this environment and they’re going to keep that moving,” Brown said.

“So you have to really, really comb through the makeup and the character of each person that you’re talking to. And you have to call up friends in the game and people you know to try to make sure you get it right before you get too far down the road. That’s pretty much the process.”

Upon Baker’s retirement last month, Astros owner Jim Crane said he and Brown would “do the work” to find the team’s next manager. Brown said Tuesday he is “leading the charge” with the interview process but also seeking input from other team executives and people around the game.

“I’m leading the charge on the interview, but of course I want Jim’s blessing on it,” Brown said. “And I’ll ask (senior adviser to the owner Jeff) Bagwell some questions. And I’ll also ask some of our front office people some questions, like my (assistant) GMs.”

Brown declined to name other candidates besides Espada. He did rebut an MLB Network report that Ray Montgomery, the current Angels bench coach who played briefly for the Astros in the mid-1990s, is among the top candidates. Brown also affirmed “there was some interest” in Craig Counsell, the coveted former Brewers manager, before the Cubs signed Counsell to a five-year, $40 million contract on Monday.

David Ross, who was dismissed by the Cubs when they hired Counsell, is not on Houston’s candidate list, Brown said. Asked about potential candidates on the coaching staff in Atlanta, where Brown previously served as scouting director, the GM declined to go into specifics but said the Astros have “gone through a lot of names, and a lot of the names I know very well.”

Candidates in Atlanta could include Ron Washington and Walt Weiss, who both have previous managing experience in the majors. Brown has stated that previous managerial experience is not a necessity for candidates and said Tuesday that the Astros are looking at two candidates who have not managed but are current bench coaches, Espada being one.

The Brewers would have to request permission from the Astros to interview Espada for their manager's job. Brown said he had not received a request from Milwaukee as of Tuesday and indicated the Astros likely would not grant one before concluding their own search. It is unclear how quickly the Brewers, who reportedly hoped to retain Counsell, would look to hire a replacement.

“If we don’t hire (Espada) and they’re still looking for a manager and they request permission, he would definitely be a guy we would say hey, yeah, you can talk to,” Brown said.

Four MLB teams — the Astros, Brewers, Angels and Padres — must still hire a manager. Brown is heading his first managerial search as a GM and said the challenge is finding a candidate who the Astros believe will “really jell with your club.”

“The tough part is how well will they do in the clubhouse once you get them, how well are they going to embrace the information we’re used to doing?” Brown said. “Those are the challenges.”

ryan_98 and seemoreroyals like this.
  17. raining threes

He said he wanted to spend more time with his family. He took the Arizona job something like a month later. There have been rumors that Dusty,Strom didn't see eye to eye.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. Radricky

Radricky Member

19. Screaming Fist

Lmao tf happened to this org. That’s a little embarrassing for Dana.

20. The Beard

The Beard Member

I have no idea what you are talking about

but you can definitely **** off