1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The search begins for the next manager

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Oct 23, 2023.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

We don’t HAVE to hire someone terrible. If he better then dusty? Probably, because how could someone be worse. But no thanks

Tomstro and everyday eddie like this.
  2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

So Dusty sucking automatically makes Ausmus good? Nice logic, dumbass.

3. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Give Espada a chance, when he was managing the Astros had a massive comeback in game 5, when Dusty was managing they couldn’t win a home game

Stephen66 and raining threes like this.
  4. Screaming Fist

I think it would behoove the Astros to find a manager without a massive ego like Dusty and who will be more willing to operate on the same page as the FO. Espada probably fits that bill better than anyone.

5. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

You complained about Dusty being terrible only to possibly get someone worse. That’s what you deserve.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

When Hinch was managing they also couldn’t win a. Home game

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Espada is a very easy decision.

If they view him as an important asset to the organization they must choose him and see if he will make a good manager.

The Astros know him very well and he would not still be in the running if he doesn't have the skills. It safe to say he will not be BAD. He is either good or not ready and therefore not impactful.

If they feel he hasn't got the chops then move on.

He either is the manager in Houston or the manager, or possibly bench coach (where he feels it gives him a better chance to become one) somewhere else.

I think hiring him and pairing him with an older veteran bench coach (Phil Garner?) is what I would do for the 2024 Astros.

raining threes and Hey Now! like this.
  8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Ok, Dusty fan. Run along now, he’s gone. No reason for you to be here anymore. Oh and yes, Dusty was terrible.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

This is a great point. It certainly seems like Dusty walked to the beat of his own drum, and had the cache to do it. What worries me is the team's culture: are they creating an environment is which the front office is distanced from the on-field aspect?

Brown being a former player *really* helps if this is a possible issue.

raining threes likes this.
  10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Again... putting in a set up man with all-star credentials is less egregious than starting a rock bottom player when a better option is available every, single playoff game.

Tomstro likes this.
  11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Weird, not able to post stuff with a link. Our new podcast is up on How many wins Dusty cost us last year and discussion about what we want in a new manager.
    Check it out- breathing orange fire- subscribe even so you don't have to wait for me to try and fail to post a link!

everyday eddie and IdStrosfan like this.
  12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

If I was Espada and I didn't get the job, I'm resigning the next day.

13. lnchan

Supporting Member

I found it very very interesting that in 2019, they didn't trust Dusty to choose his own coaching staff...

Stephen66 and raining threes like this.
  14. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Ahhh ahh ahhh. Hinch couldn’t win a home game either.

15. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

I find it very interesting he still got a ring.

16. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

You complained about Dusty to end up with Ausmus. That’s hilarious.

17. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Ausmus' entire career all I heard was " he can't hit but he will be a great manager someday"

Well. I want Joe Espada to be the Astros next manager.

However, if Ausmus is chosen then I will trust that the people (still around) who have created and nurtured this great era of Astros baseball trusts him and chose him.

There are questions about his work ethic and results. There are no questions about his intelligence or baseball knowledge and experience.

Just like Dusty, I will start the 2024 season with a clean slate and support him. Hopefully forever, but at least until he deserves criticism for actual choices and decisions.

MLB history is riddled with managers who started off poorly and unsuccessfully then got into the right situation and became very successful. (Joe Torre, Bobby Cox, and even A.J. Hinch come to mind)

Hopefully, if Brad is the new manager, he becomes the next one.

Hey Now! and The Beard like this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know anything about these candidates. What I do know is that I want a manager that relies on analytics most of the time as opposed to a manager that uses his gut. Ausmus and Bagwell seem to favor the gut approach, and, if that is true I don't want them in the organization at all. I'm fairly certain that Brown likes an analytics driven approach and hope he has the power to get his guy hired.

Stephen66 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  20. lnchan

Supporting Member

Click Dusty-proofed that roster last year. Yes, I am a Yuli-truther.

Stephen66, The Beard and Wulaw Horn like this.