1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Ryan Lochte incident in Rio

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Aug 19, 2016.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yeah you would go through a legal process though. That's not what happened here. They were essentially forced to give up money because guns were pointed at their head. Apparently it was so bad that they think someone could've gotten hurt had that translator not been there. I'm not saying they shouldn't pay for the damages, but there's a right way to do it. Paying some security guards at gunpoint can be looked at as robbery. It's a different country though, but I can imagine how someone from another country who has a judicial system would see it as robbery. If you damage something and the cops come, they will handle it the proper way. That's not really what happened here from the accounts and that article from USA Today.

FYI, I'm not arguing that IT IS robbery. I'm saying I can see how someone from another country would think it is.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You will have to give a more believable scenario. I don't insult families and I would easily dodge and counter any attack through superior athleticism and a previously performed visual threat assessment.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Regardless of whether or not it was robbery, the swimmers knew what led to the confrontation. They conveniently left out the entire part of their own culpability. All they had to do was tell the truth of the entire incident and they would most likely have won the court of public opinion.

Instead they acted like it was a random robbery and had nothing to do with their own actions.

4. ItsMyFault

I agree with that. The two swimmers that lied should've just told the truth from the beginning. It would've been much better off for them.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you didn't tip your fedora or wipe the blood off your katana so I ain't buying it :p

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Agreed. The swimmers should have been honest, told the truth and the whole story. Instead, Lochte embellished the details, sounded like a liar and that hurt his credibility. They aren't completely without fault in this incident.

However, the guards demanding money at gunpoint for public urination and ripping a poster is a gross overstep of justice and reasonable outcome. It looks more like robbery than not to me.

Combine that with Brazil's investigation. They lied to the media, falsified evidence, and accused the swimmers of worse crimes than were committed, and practically held the swimmers hostage until a generous donation was given. Brazil turned the situation around in a complete 180. What they did was much worse than what the swimmers did.

7. Buck Turgidson

You mean an ocular patdown?

8. Nook

Nook Member

It is Brazil.... why is anyone surprised?

Idiots comparing it to the United States are simply ignorant.

It is a beautiful country, there are some wonderful people in Brazil.... but it has SERIOUS class issues, the economy is in an absolute free fall, there is little respect for the police force by the citizens and wide spread corruption. Vigilante justice is common and street gangs have extreme control of the population locally.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I love to exaggerate?

21 of the 50 most dangerous cities in the WORLD are in Brazil.

10. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lochte is an entitled idiot, but I hope Brazilian authorities get exposed for their own exaggerations.

11. ItsMyFault

Dangerous doesn't mean it's dangerous everywhere. Tourist spots especially for an event like the Olympics are going to have massive security. Like I said, Terrorism was a bigger concern for the Olympics than localized violence towards visitors. Doesn't seem like a whole lot really happened.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's the pulling of the gun and forcing them to give you money that is an actual robbery.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6muqVXTuZLU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Ryan Lochte, Amber Rose, Rick Perry, Laurie Hernandez join ‘DWTS’

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...overnor-join-dancing-with-the-stars/89539626/

I think the Rick Perry being part of the cast is the even bigger joke of all this