1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Ryan Lochte incident in Rio

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He ripped down a poster. They government got 11k, and those security guys got 100 bucks.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Not really. See the case of Yoshihiro Hattori. Trespassing and "claimed fear" can get you off.

3. Icehouse

He and others urinated outside (someone has to clean that), ripped down a sign/poster and paid around $50 for those damages (I thought it was $50, but if it's $100 ok). After lying on national TV and painting the host country in a bad light, the country got 11K.

Either way, if it's been communicated to you that you are paying for damages you just caused then you aren't being robbed. If they said pay now or we will call the cops, and you pay, then you haven't been robbed.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

They were still being coerced to pay. That can be interpreted as robbery, at least here in the states. Maybe that's how it works in a corrupt country like Brazil. You can't say there's no way one couldn't interpret it as a robbery if they had guns pointed at them demanding them of money regardless of what they did.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The security guards arbitrarily came up with the monetary damages. The state has to decide that in court when a crime is committed. What the security guards did was illegal, especially when you factor in the number they came up with far exceeds the actual damages and at gunpoint, too.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

No they don't.

At the end of the day, the Brazilian Government robbed them.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Wouldn't it have been easier for them to say - "We unfortunately had too much to drink and needed to use the bathroom. Upon finding the door locked we urinated behind the station. Due to my drunkenness, I ripped a poster off the wall on the way back to the cab. We were approached by armed men claiming to be security guards. With our limited knowledge of Portuguese, it was difficult to understand what they were trying to communicate. We were scared due to their drawn guns and ultimately (with the help of a bystander), offered to pay them $100 USD for the damage. They accepted it and we went back to the Olympic village. We apologize for our behavior."

The incident would have been over and done with in a day.

8. Icehouse

Fixed. In the states if you break my bike and I say pay for it or I'm calling the cops then I haven't robbed you. That's hogwash.

Sure I can. You break **** and someone expects you to pay for it. Quite simple. You'd have a point if they hadn't done anything wrong.

9. Icehouse

Folks arbitrarily come up with monetary damage amounts when you break their stuff all the time, even here.

The guards were wrong to hold them at gunpoint, legally. However, it appears that they were trying to bounce without making someone whole before he gook out his gun. I have no issue with that.

Either way, that's not a robbery.

10. Icehouse

Apparently it's easier to lie and act like a superhero on TV.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I love how people here think they can set the rules for other countries and their citizens in terms of what sound be right and legal.

Those asshats acted a fool in Brazil not Austin. They get what's coming to them. If these dumbasses would have been drunk in Saudi Arabia they'd be in jail.

1 person likes this.
  12. Icehouse

Exactly. Folks are talking legality (in a foreign place btw) and ignoring basic reality. If you damage someone's stuff and try to bounce you may be met with force. If so, you aren't being "robbed". You know you damaged something. You know why you are being detained. You know what you are paying for. That is not a robbery. Even if we don't speak the same language, I know if I damage your stuff and you won't let me leave until I give you some $$, I know what the hell is going on. You are basically negotiating a settlement.

Common sense people....

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You seem to be willfully forgetting that the amount was determined at gunpoint. If you hit my car and I pull my SCAR 17s out, point it at your family and demand a check for $5,000, that is a robbery.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

That might be true here but it could be easily common in Russia.

You wanna start telling people how to handle their affairs in a foreign country? Oh yeah you do because your an American.

15. Bandwagoner

So your counter argument is robbery is legal in Brazil. Not what the Brazilian government is saying so I think you are just looking down your nose on another culture saying they are savages.

16. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

This x100

Imagine if this were to happen at the next World Cup in Qatar. For pissing in public, they wouldn't just cut off your hand...

17. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

You gotta abide by the law of the land.

You can't just go into another country, do something stupid, and just say "it's ok, I'm an American".

18. Bandwagoner

you are making the same stupid argument that robbery is legal in Brazil.

[​IMG]

19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Did you read the article? It's not legal in Brazil either.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

Americans have this concept that the rules they make up are the best ones.

Let's say you insult my family and me and I smack the loving **** out of you.

You'll say that's illegal and call the cops, maybe sue too.

You insult a man's family in many countries and they'll beat the **** out of you and no one will bat an eye.

Tell me what they're doing is wrong. I dare you. It's their culture. We ask people to go by our rules here in America and I would respect theirs.

#100 REEKO_HTOWN, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016