1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Ryan Lochte incident in Rio

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Aug 19, 2016.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

/thread

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

What's interesting about all of this stuff surrounding Ryan Lochte is that I had actually thought about him earlier in the Olympics before any of this went down.

Leading up to the race in which they both competed (I forget the stroke and distance), they showed a bunch of pictures and video of their various races with and against each other through the years and they really played up how their careers have intertwined (with Phelps being more successful, obviously).

It got me to thinking about how they seemed at one time to be so similar in so many ways. They both seemed like they liked to party and swimming might have been the only thing that they took seriously.

But now, it seems like their lives couldn't be much different. Phelps is engaged, has a child, and has been adamant that he's more content in life now than he ever has been. While his famously competitive nature makes me think that he's going to at least entertain the idea of swimming in Tokyo in four years, it seems like he's ready to handle life after swimming.

Lochte, on the other hand, still lives in Gainesville, Florida, where he went to college, apparently still frequents the college bars, and the gas station incident seems like something you'd see from a 22-year-old, not a 32-year-old.

I don't know either of these guys personally, and I know that it's a fool's game to try to understand people based on what we see in on TV and social media, but of the two, I think he's actually the one who is going to have the much tougher time stepping away from the sport, and I would actually be shocked if he didn't at least give it a shot in the lead up to the 2020 games. I just think he'll do anything to stay in the public eye.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Much ado about nothing.

DD

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The contrast of the reporting and bending over backwards to protect a guy that lied to the cops and disgraced america . . .. . . meanwhile MFers were losing their ***** because Gabby didn't put her hand on her heart

People saying Gabby should Grow Up etc etc etc -- She is 20 yrs old
    Then to see people talk about how Lochte is a 'Kid doing kid things'

Hearing some Douche bag on TV rant about how they pulled guns on him and we don't do that in America . . . . SERIOUSLY???

Tamir Rice was a kid and not only had a gun pulled on him but was shot within 3 seconds of the cops arrival

Man F*** LOCHTE and his apologist

He is a 'THUG'

Rocket River

5. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Preach brother....preach.

6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

F*** Ryan Lochte. As a UF alum, I've been pretty tolerant of his overall douchebaggery, but this is too much. He needs to go away, but unfortunately, I have a feeling we'll be seeing him on TMZ for years to come.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Honestly, by 32 I would have hoped not; it does seem like the age at which people are expected to grow up and settle in has been gradually pushed back over generations. I remember telling my teacher in school that my dad was turning 40, she had all my classmates write him happy birthday cards and when I brought them home like half of them were "over the hill" jokes.

8. DaDakota

OH Geez River, not everything is race.

Gabby was no big deal either..

None of this ISH is important.

DD

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

TO YOU!

Rocket River

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

And top of the muffin to you, Mr. Lippman.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

The problem here was not so much the minor act, but it's like he took the warning level from Defcon 1 to Defocon 5. Everyone was heightened. And that costs money. The police now had a possible hostage/kidnapping to worry about, the nation had to deal with it publicly, the olympic committees had to deal and investigate. And all of this took cops away from they really should be dealing with. All because of the lie and coverup of something so simple.

The real robbery is that Lochte will lose up to 2 million in endorsements.

If he has just trashed the bathroom and that was all, nobody would even care so much. Blame it on alcohol. Pay the fines and gas station. It was the cover up and lies that cost millions, legacy, and embarrassment.

12. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

I know you're trying to add to your argument, but I don't think this is true. The segment NBC did on him showed he moved away. He's been living in North Carolina for a while now.

NBC definitely tried to paint him as a more mature man, but it's obvious that he still has his roots. He's still a dbag, and it runs in the family. Who remembers his racist sister's antics after the Beijing Olympics?

13. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

It's much simpler than that. If he and his mom had not flapped their r****d gums about the situation to the media, nobody would have even known about it! The entire thing was over and done with once they paid off the gas station and went home! That's the most unbelievable part about this... he brought the entire thing on himself.

Yikes, did not remember anything about the racist sister, so I had to find the youtube video. The Lochte clan is something else.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4NXv3gMVeEc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I don't know what you're talking about. The Washington Post just had a front page article titled "Ryan Lochte, A special type of obnoxious American bro". Can you please send me the link for a major new article that was critical of Gabby Douglass? Yes, a few good-for-nothings on twitter (somewhat accurately) pointed out she didn't really seem that excited for her teammates. Who cares.

You're seeing what you want to see. Ryan Lochte is getting torched by major news media...and deservedly so.

15. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Holy $hit! I couldn't even watch an entire minute of this.

What a piece of $hit family. So much bigotry, privilege and entitlement, they think they can get away with anything

16. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

What makes Lochte look even more like a douche is that he tried to play a badass and didn't get on the ground until the gun was pointed at him. That, and his hair.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

He's an idiot version of Wooderson.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That is beyond description. Just wow!

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Lochte is a certified dbag. Its funny seeing te apologists for this moron come out to defend him. He is a moron

20. DaDakota

Fair point - so you are saying that it is important to some folks here in the USA- yes, that is why Trump has 40%.....but that side is declining and dying off, takes a generation to get past it...we are headed in the right direction.

DD