1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Room and Vet Min Exceptions (Targets)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Jul 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Nice find. He may be a Moreyball type character if he gets amnestied. 1 More to add to the Morey stable of reclamation prospects this off season. Another forgotten faltered former effective player.

Any idea what his D like? He dropped out of my radar after he left Denver and seemed like an afterthought in Toronto with a glut of swing players at his position. I also remember him being able to run small 4.

In fairness to Jamison, LA was a hot mess last season. He's still got some gas in the tank, can stretch the floor, and willing to ring ride on the cheap. My biggest knock on the guy has always been his D. He's been unremarkable since his GS days in that aspect.

2. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Why Xavier Henry? The only thing memorable about him was his signing debacle with the Grizzlies former owner. Apart from that, he's never been effective or able to live up to his hype coming into the league.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i have to admit ...i'm a little perplexed by the Casspi and Reggie Williams signings. Since they are vet minimums, the down-side is very limited, but i just never saw either as good players. Really hoping i'm not scratching my head when we figure out who we're getting for the "room exception". i suspect it will be someone we have a lot more confidence in because it's twice the money. I suppose getting Garcia to resign for the minimum is so terrific that I should be more than satisfied so far.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We don't get the full use of the MLE because we had cap space which we used.

We get the Room Exception MLE which is smaller than the full MLE.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Mo Williams ?

6. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

But MLE and Room Exception are two different things. Now that we are going to be over the cap I assumed we would have the MLE to use, or would that be next year?

Are you saying you only get one or the other, room exception or MLE based on whether you are over/under the cap?

Thanks in advance!

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Casspi was actually promising ... was part of one or two Rookie vs Sophomore games.

RWill not sure but he had some good shooting seasons

8. justtxyank

Not really.

The MLE is one thing with varying degrees of amount.

The Full MLE is for teams that are over the cap but not over the luxury tax line

The Taxpayers MLE is for teams that are over the cap & over the luxury tax line

The Room Exception MLE is for teams that weren't over the cap but use up all their cap in that offseason. It's the smallest amount.

Yes sir.

1 person likes this.
  9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yeah they aren't exactly lights out shooters and that's what I thought we needed. But Morey is almost always right when it comes to adding players with NBA experience. So I gotta believe Morey thinks these guys can shoot. Or at least for the minimum they were the best we can get. Garcia and Casspi seem redundant unless you believe Casspi can play the stretch 4 some and Garcia can play the 2 so then they give us depth.

Even the signing of covington becomes more obvious because he is definitely got stretch 4 potential. Williams is a scorer. After harden and Lin not many on the team can create their own shot. Williams can. Also Canaan can.

So while I think Morey would rather have players like Korver, Reddick and Love for what we had to offer he find the next best possibilities. Plus our system does seem to make our shooters better over time. Something about giving players the greenlight in certain spots. If you get the ball and you are open you better shoot "That's an Order!" seems to work. Or maybe it is all just a crap shoot and Morey is rolling the dice hoping one of them is a lucky seven. Either way it's a low risk hi reward type shot.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He is Morey's type. Busty lotto pick from Kansas.

11. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

I believe he went to Denver.

12. OmerAsik3

OmerAsik3 Member

Not durable enough

13. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

2 things is my guess. An exceptional, albeit one dimensional, skill-set we need to be bolster the lineup and paying them the NBA equivalent of rent and a bucket of KFC. Reggie Williams for his shooting and not sure with Casspi to be honest. He had that decent stint with the Kings but I don't remember him being particularly good in anything except his length for the 3. He's about Parsons' size. Let's hope that Morey finds another Delfino for us this year. No real heartbreak for the team if either don't pan out. Low risk for a moderate reward.

As for Mo Williams, he's either still delusional about being re-signed by the Jazz or he's being considered by the Hawks should they choose not to match the Bucks offer sheet of 32m/4yrs for Teagues as of this post. Mo Williams should be paid a fair amount and most probably out of our price range.

14. justtxyank

Just to add to the thread, the reason why a team with cap room only gets such a small Room Exception is because they had cap room. The Rockets are going to spend $20 million on Dwight. But under the new CBA the league ADDED this exception to help a team (like the Rockets) add additional players even after they ended up over the cap in an offseason.

Recall that 5 years ago if you were under the cap and then signed a player with your cap room you had NO EXCEPTIONS available except the vet's minimum.

15. Manos

Manos Member

Yeah, I believe he was part of the 3 way trade with Utah, GSW and Denver that netted the Warriors AI.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Lakers waive forward <a href="https://twitter.com/MettaWorldPeace">@MettaWorldPeace</a>. Expect Knicks to have serious interest if NY native becomes a free agent, a source previously told Y!</p>&mdash; Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/statuses/355474861272997889">July 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>