1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Room and Vet Min Exceptions (Targets)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Jul 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

His defense is atrocious. I'd rather have Garcia play SG

2. Big Red Machine

Rockets aren't going to be paying the luxury tax, so why does that matter?

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Because I'd like to be able to waive him at any time to make room another player if need be. Sure they can just eat the cap space and waive him at any time, but I want to sign a player with the last few rotation spots that has something to loose and is going to work to stay with the team.

4. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

i feel like im seeing a lot of these kind of threads lately...but i just dont think morey is the kind of guy to go after way-past-their-prime vets

5. Big Red Machine

Why wouldn't they be able to sign a player for the minimum after they release him? Am I missing something?

6. Big Red Machine

I agree with you. That doesn't seem to be his style. He prefers the younger, undervalued players like Smith, Beverley, etc.

7. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

With all the movement without the ball and running off screens he's done in his career he probably has twice the mileage of any NBA player his age. ;)

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

They can. You aren't missing anything. My point is just that I dont want old veterans at the end of the bench who just give up when they are out of the rotation and at the end of their career. I'd rather give that roster spot to someone who has something to loose and something to prove.

It might sound cruel or disrespectful to a veteran player like Rip, but I want him to feel like he still has something to loose to ensure I get the most out of him.

If you give a guaranteed contract to a vet like that at the tail end of their career, I think they you run the risk of them just mailing it in for the rest of their tenure with the Rockets because they know they will still get paid if they get cut.

Plus, I think there is some real nice young players that will be floating around that have some nice upside that they can develop into great assets. I like the idea of now having veteran players in the rotation, but I still like the ability of keeping the 13 - 15th spots on the roster open for high upside talent.

9. Big Red Machine

Oh, okay. I gotcha.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I do think we need a couple of guys off the bench that have real postseason experience. I'm content with the bench as is, for the most part, though.

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

While the Rockets are at it signing these shooters... Linas Kleiza, if he get amnestied?

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...ll-survive-the-last-days-of-the-cba-provision

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

For the minimum I don't really object to any player in particular, but I don't see Kleiza being able to get minutes here to be honest.

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

No thanks. How about Jamison, he is a veteran and can play some minutes at the 4 in case D-Mo / Jones don't play well. He can shoot the three, so is like a spread 4 basically, rebound and defend a little.

13. justtxyank

Didn't he already sign with the Clippers?

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

No :)

15. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Keliza would probably start at the 4. :p ;)

Clippers beat writer tweeted yesterday no deal yet. Remain interested, though.

Don't want Jamsion anywhere near this team, personally. Not sure why anybody would be intersted in him still. He's awwwwwful. Might as well play 4 on 5 on defense when he's on the floor.

16. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

What about Xavier Henry?

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm a fan of his. All else equal, I'd rather have him than Casspi or Williams. But I think he'll get more than the league minimum if he's healthy (I assume he only played 20 games last year at least partially due to injuries).

With the exception of last year, he's always been pretty good. He shoots a high volume of 3s at a respectable clip and plays the game hard - at least in the games I've seen.

A career TS% of .543 - which, for reference, was Jeff Teague's TS% last season - is pretty good, especially when you consider the awful year he had last season.

So, if he's healthy, I would welcome him on the Rockets on a favorable contract.

18. justtxyank

If he's amnestied it doesn't matter what he gets. Someone would have to pay him more than the contract he's on now for it to matter. I do think someone would bid on him though so I doubt we'd even get a shot.

19. fattz

fattz Member

Randy Foye???
    Has anyone picked him up yet? Nice fit for us, if the price is right.

20. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

What did we do with our MLE? Was that a trading piece or am I missing something?