1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Room and Vet Min Exceptions (Targets)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Jul 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

We could use his ability to move w/o the ball. But a lot of skinny players in our roster now.

2. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I doubt he's a possibility seeing as we just signed Reggie Williams.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sorry, R.I.P. Hamilton is done.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

NO shutdown the thread please.

5. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

thanks but no thanks

6. jocar

jocar Member

He only shot 30% from the arch last year. We need some snipers

7. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

I think there is already a thread suggesting we sign RIP Hamilton if he is available, but I will say again, I like the idea of getting a guy who can run defenders ragged over numerous screens and hit the open 16-20 footers. His 3 pt. shooting isn't that great thought if I remember correctly, but I wouldn't mind his experience and shooting talents on the roster for the vet minimum if we can snag him. Hope he is available if no other options present themselves earlier....

8. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

9. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

Uhm.. RIP is a shooting guard.

I'm a big fan of the Pistons Ben Wallace era. Rip was the quintessential mid range player. The Pistons would run him around screens and he only needs just a little amount of space, and just needs to be free for a fraction of a second to hoist his high percentage mid range shots. Was an average - below average defender until Lindsay Hunter returned and "inspired" him to pick it up and somehow he improved a little.

But RIP is old, he used to be very durable but now his body is just showing its mileage.

He's not an upgarde over Casspi nor Garcia, etc.

If he's going to have any value it's probably show the kids how its done in the midrange, so I'll take him as an asst coach or trainer for player devt. But I wont include him on the roster.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

For vet min I would take him as 3rd SG on the roster.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So did Reggie Williams :(

12. Solaris

Solaris Member

RIP is always injured and not productive this year. Bulls really need his scoring this year, but he didn't deliver.

13. Big Red Machine

I'd absolutely take him on the roster for the veteran's minimum. James Anderson isn't bringing anything to the table. Rip is 35. It's not like teams are trying to make him their primary back-up SG. Rockets need to feel the bench with veterans that have playoff experience and have already had their shine so minutes aren't a problem. This is why I'd rather have guys like Rip Hamilton and Jermaine O'Neal (realize he's off the board now but was linked to Houston) over James Anderson and Greg Smith.

Also, I don't think you ignore a guy like Rip Hamilton because you have Reggie Williams. People are saying Rip is done, but he still averaged 10 PPG and 2.4 APG last year. Rockets could use his veteran presence and mid range shooting off the bench.

14. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

If it's just for verteran presence, I'd rather bring Chauncey Phillips on board. Great mentoring for the PG spot for Lin - Beverly - Canaan.

btw Chauncey plays off the ball/ shooting guard as well.

jk :p... meant Billups hehe

15. Big Red Machine

He's also agreed to terms with Detroit already.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Looks like Morey is going to have a couple roster spots to play with for either bringing in another vet like Rip, or taking a flyer on a prospect he can stash in the D-League like Vander Blue or Jack Cooley.

I have no problem with Morey signing Rip, but I do have a problem with him getting a guaranteed contract that DOESN'T allow Morey to waive Rip at any time with no cap hit.

At this point in Rip's career, I doubt he takes a contract like that. Getting waived in training camp might be an embarrasement.

17. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

too bad, Rockets were slow to look at that opportunity.

he would have actually been perfect beside Harden, comfortable at both being the primary ball handler and playing off the ball.

18. dragician

dragician Member

19. DJGRIND

DJGRIND Member

Yeah, kinda redundant after the Reggie Williams signing...

20. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

He is still in the league?!