1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rodeo Barbecue Cookoff

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMan Tex, Feb 27, 2004.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Well, I went last night. Got a pass to the Miller Lite party through a friend who does alot of business with Miller Brewing. He and I and two other friends went. Barbecue was pretty good but not as good as mine. Miller Lite was nice and cold and flowing freely. The band was a lame hack country act that got more applause playing Lynyrd Skynyrd covers than their own originals. Miller Lite girls were there but they were all dressed up in Rodeo gear rather than their bikini uniforms. Lots of harddicks...each Miller lite girl had about 5 Skoal-spit-drooling losers around her. It was a decent night out...not great but not totally crappy.

The thing I really can't get over about it is how corporate it is now. When I was a kid, my family would go to the Rodeo BBQ cookoff and go from team to team/tent to tent, sample a little food, walk around, and it was all either small companies or groups of individuals who put cookoff teams together. It was much friendlier. Now, it is all corporate. If you do not have an invitation to one of the private corporate shindigs, you are wasting your time going to the Rodeo BBQ cookoff. I think it takes away from the friendliness/neighborliness of the entire Rodeo experience.

Thoughts?

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I'm going tommorrow. I'll let you kow.

3. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Going today...ditto.

4. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Going tonight

5. RocketMan Tex

Have y'all got invitations to any of the private parties?

6. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

you didnt get the clutchfans one?.....man that sucks...its gonna be rowdy

7. Buck Turgidson

Went the past 2 years for the first time(s) in about 10 years. Agree wholeheartedly with the disdain for the corporatization it has undergone, the private tents are nice & all, but it's just not the same. I don't plan on going back anytime soon.

I can hang with my friends, drink beer & barbecue in my backyard, without having to put up with throngs of urban cowboy dip****s in $500 boots or the wannabe ****kicker fratboys.

8. RocketMan Tex

Hell yes. My sentiments exactly. Plus....I MAKE BETTER BARBECUE THAN THOSE ASSCLOWNS!!!!!!:D :D :D

9. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Yeah, I have lots of corporate invites....but I am in marketing so its sort of the norm.

10. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I will be there ............. in a corporate tent.....I dont do the cowboy thing though ......... as long as its FREE, I dont care too much about these things anyway

11. Fatty FatBastard

Never went to the cookoff before this year.

Friday night I went with a buddy of mine. We didn't have any passes, but a few of the tents were open, so we went in those. Left at 11:00. Nice, but nothing special.

Saturday we went and hooked up with these guys that could get in everywhere. We had a blast, and I spent less than 10 bucks, plus, one of the tents had like 20 people that I had gone to high school with.

All in all, I had a great time. But it definitely is a place that is a lot more fun if you know people.

12. Pezmonger

Pezmonger Member

I went on Saturday evening. I was in some tent with a Mardi Gras theme and serving Miller Lite as the beer of choice. The BBQ was lame, but the beer girls were stellar. Thank god the band wasn't blasting country crap, but more funk with cajon flavor. Free booze and beautiful girls...I'll be back.

13. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I went on Sat from around 2-7. I had passes to the Jack Daniels booth. We left before things got too nuts. I ran into a friend who was in town just for the night. It was fun. It would suck without passes though.

The best BBQ cookoff I go to is in Nacogdoches. 8 bucks for all you can eat and drink. It's beautiful, a true East Texas experience.