1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets traded James Harden for nothing.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

False. The cap typically increases, allowing you to spend “more” in a future season. If you want me to amend my statement any say he is trying to win without fully investing in his team, fine. He clearly did not spend MLE $$. He clearly parked House when his contract would have converted. He clearly tried to replace a starting SF with minimum salary players. He clearly sent away draft slots with guaranteed contracts. He clearly endured LT $$ didn’t come back in some trades. Etc.

If you want to continue to sip the koolaid have at it. His moves to avoid spending on this team are beyond obvious.

RHU525 and YOLO like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I wish this was the April fools thread.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Here is the link to Houston salaries

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston_rockets/2018-2019/

In Les Alexander final year the salary bill was 119M
    In Fertita'a first year the salary bill was 126M. This year the salary is 131M.

In what universe do you spend more when you cost cut? Just saying something as "false" doesnt make it false wtf are you god or something? Yeah Fertita didnt do all he can to burn money for the Rockets, it still shouldnt be called cost cutting cuz he is literally paying more money than the previous year wtf. You can amend your statement to Fertita is spending more money than the old owner was. Cuz thats the reality.

Fertita made his position clear Rockets can only spend up to the luxury tax line unless they make the Finals. You can say he is a liar and wont pony up until that happens but the reality is Rox didnt make the Finals so thats a moot point whether he is lying or not. How the Rox manage their moves to remain under the tax line thats not on Fertita that's on Morey. Fertita only gives the parameters of how much the Rox can spend its up to Morey to execute the specifics. When you have complaints about trading FRPs away or using Ennis as Ariza replacement, thats not on Fertita thats on Morey. Thats why I say you are blaming Fertita for Morey's mistakes.

Lots of owners tell their GMs not to pay luxury tax, thats not anything new or special. Toronto even won a ring without paying luxury tax. Would I have liked it if Fertita went broke trying to make the Rox better? Hell yeah I dont benefit from his money to begin with. But him not spending over the cap doesnt make him super cheap as lots of other owners are doing the same thing. Rather it is Morey's failure to maximize the spending limits given to him that resulted in severe cost cutting moves.

For example trading for Cp3 and then extending him the full max. Why did Morey even do the Cp3 trade? If he didnt do that they could have gotten even more talent as cp3 cost more than double Harrell, Beverly and Lou Will combined. He did that trade, Rox were capped out and then forced to trade frps for capspace. You can argue Cp3 resulted in WCF appearance, but then you have to understand that cost cutting now is the price you oay for bringing cp3 on board. Its paying now for an all in move in the past, you dont blame Fertita NOW for a gamble you took before he got here. Thats just dumb. If the Rox made the Finals then its on Fertita to pony up even more money cuz thats what he said but the Rox failed so how can Fertita be blamed? His condition is reasonable Finals for a finals appearance its on the Rox and Morey for not achieving that.

Lex Alexander was the one who okd the Cp3 trade but Fertita is the cheap one for not paying the lux tax? Lol how does that make any sense? It's like somebody sold you a building that has not been maintained at all, but the tenants are saying you are the cheap one for not spending even more money to renovate it like new.

#263 roslolian, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    CXbby and don grahamleone like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. DonatelloLimestone

6. DonatelloLimestone

I'm happy to say good bye to Alexander, this isn't cnn/fox its not some silly binary choice. Alexander means nothing, but he was generally quiet, was able to innovate a little, but he had plenty of flaws and I'm happy if hes replaced. In fact I was escatic when a local houstonian season ticket holder got it. I'm not Pro- or AntiTillman or anyone, I want the rockets to do well. I'm a paying customer, I'm objective. This isn't some chinese dear leader culture where you can't be objective and critisize or you're not loyal. But Tillman has been a disaster and hes made it worse by constantly lying to the media and using terrible PR tactics that will hurt our own franchise.

He has now punted for a few years, and I hope his finances are in order and he learns from this terrible ordeal and I willl then adapt and give him a standing ovation. I want us to win and do it right. I am not oblivious to the terrible management of the last few years and that also doesn't make me oblivious that we have some great young pieces who have a lot of fight in them and our future will be better and maybe sooner than we'd like. But I'm glad we don't have some foreign Saudi/Chinese leader that is unaccountable and won't accept faults, but I sure as hell won't expect that mentality from a fellow texan. Its ok that he got it wrong, I get he ain't going anywhere, I'm still rooting for the ROCKETS to pick it up and him and the franchise to do better. Its not mutually exclusive

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look, he didn't want to be here, we knew it was going to be tough rebuilding, but I am super impressed with the start that Stone has made.

Once Harden decided to quit on the team the org had no choice, and you never get like talent when trading away a superstar player, however, we are in much better shape today than when the trade was made.

We have some potential foundational pieces...in KPjr, Wood, KMjr, Tate - and Olynyk if he signs......none of them are Franchise players and only one could be......in KPjr, but they are all good players that can contribute to a winning team.....

And we have a booty full of draft picks.

Well done Stone!

DD

cheke64, rpr52121, CXbby and 2 others like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Completely ignoring that graphic above your post amirite?

HP3 likes this.
  10. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

And this year we may have a 52% chance to get a top 4 draft pick. We only had one pick in the top 4 once in the previous 36 seasons (Yao).

DaDakota likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And we were slated for the 6th pick that year...

DD

12. HP3

HP3 Member

This is an incredibly weak weak WEAK argument. Imagine trying to justify not spending in the LT in 2018-2019 LOL. Please, stop with this garbage.

You not liking Cp3 or his contract is not a reason to defend Tillman from spending in the tax.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Adjust that to % of the cap. I'm not arguing pro or anti Tilman, I legitimately don't know what the numbers are. But the cap increases every year, possibly by a larger pace than that. Tilman has to pay more for the same because of natural NBA salary inflation.

Lux Tax threshold:
    17-18 119M
    18-19 123M
    19-20 132M
    20-21 132M

Pretty even so far. No lux tax, woo!

HP3 and YOLO like this.
  14. txtodd

txtodd Member

Also the Chris Paul Effect

vlaurelio, chadyang, topfive and 2 others like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Loud and clear on 3. 1......2.....3.......LTS champs!!!!

another banner will be hung this year

HP3 likes this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It pains me to say this, but I understand why we didn't want to risk LT this year or last year. Also, I don't believe Les ever dipped into LT.

However when Tilly the Frycook inherited the team coming off a WCF narrow loss, it was time to go all in. Not to burn assets on Anderson/Knight/Chriss/Shumpert/Ennis. That ship has sailed.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Graph only compares this season vs. last season.

But I feel ya.

chadyang likes this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Isn't that like saying that Joe Schmo spends more on cars nowadays because he bought a $35,000 Nissan Maxima in 2021 and a $30,000 Mercedes in 2011?

napalm06 likes this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I like how people have the audacity to defend Tilman. I know it's not my money, but common sense tells you a team like 2018 only comes once every couple if decade, a player like Harden is once in a generation. If you don't spent to maximize your chance at that time, you are a cheap **** and should not own a sports team.

We might not see a team like 2018 for another Decade or two, essentially Tilman blew his only chance at a championship for a few million dollars.

MettaWorldPete, D-rock, YOLO and 2 others like this.
  20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

No, he means the difference in OKC to the Suns in the chart is comparable to Rockets to the Nets.

And we HAD the Harden effect and Chris Paul effect on the same team ...

txtodd likes this.