1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rocket's timeline....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Denovo

Denovo Member

Bad example. They tanked to draft Dwade. Won a ring with him as the number 1. Then after that 2 stars came to play with him.

Mr Woods and Corrosion like this.
  2. Denovo

Denovo Member

Another bad example the Lakers traded up in the draft for Kobe. The same way we traded up for Sengun.

Thats still building through the draft.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And on top of that, they are the Los Angeles Lakers. Guys dream of playing in that uniform. And they love the LA lifestyle.

No kid that isn't from Houston dreams of being a Rocket. And Houston might be one of the more desirable markets but it's not even close to LA or Miami with the players.

Corrosion, Reeko and Denovo like this.
  4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Call it what you will. It's not relying on being the worst team multiple years in a row and hoping to get the top pick every year.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  5. Denovo

Denovo Member

Well the top 6 picks in that 96 draft class included 5 allstars and one defensive player of the year. Not even including Kobe or Nash.

Tanking for that draft would’ve been ideal.

We can only tank for 2 years anyway.

It’s not like we’ll tank purposefully for a decade.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No , I wouldn't take that deal. You add Wood to GSW and that pick you get in return is #30 , Curry gets another Larry O'Brien trophy.

That pick from GSW isn't getting you anywhere near "critical mass" to get both Banchero & Wenbanyamma.

To get one of those guys you are going to have to win the lottery .... No GM is trading the chance to draft either of those players.

7. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Wolves, Knicks, and Kings say "Hi".

Bad rebuilds build one on top of the another, I trust Stone to select the best of Branchero/Holmgren/Duren.

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

That's not what Sac, Minn and Orl are saying. Theyvl have tank for decadeS and when the last time those teams have been good?

9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I see your logic, and am actually starting to come around on Wood, but the 30th pick isn't just always the 30 pick. For example, we had first rounders that may not ever convey and we were able to parlay that to the mid first round. If we could get two more late first, the chances of trading up a far more likely. Sure maybe not all the way to pick 1 or 2, but we just landed number 16th. Depending on the draft, something like the 6th and 16th pick could maybe get you the 4th pick.

For more context, I think a large percentage of this board would rather have both Sengun and Giddey than only Green. When I talk about the timeline, I'm referring to contracts and when people get paid. A team wants to have that problem right after they go to the finals. OKC had that problem with Harden and now Phoenix is going through it with Ayton. I would be thrilled with a 33 year old Wood and Tate if it meant they were on the same contract. Also, I'm not thrilled about giving Wood a max deal. He may be worth it, but there is a vast difference between someone like Porzingis and GIannis. If we give someone a max, it needs to be an alpha, not a borderline All Star like CP3 was in 2019.

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's case they fking suck at drafting.
    Kings had the chance to grab Luka and they choose Bagley LoLOLLOL

Incompetence leads to years of tanking.

Tuckankhamun likes this.
  11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I already laid this out before in another thread but none of those teams tanked for more than 2 years at a time. They just sucked. It wasn't on purpose, they tried to be good but did it badly. They filled their cap space with old dudes year after year, they traded picks for aging vets, and they played old guys over developing younger players. It's not the same. If you want to see the details, go look for post from last year where I went over the Kings' FA and trade moves year by year to show that they were never tanking.

Tuckankhamun likes this.
  12. Denovo

Denovo Member

Sac, Minn and Orlando have nothing to do with us.
    And you’re also wrong. Minnesota and Orlando have both made the playoffs in the past 5 years.

So they haven’t tanked for “decades”.

Also okc has our picks so literally we can only tank for 2 years.. after that we have to make win now moves.

13. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think ALL the OKC picks have top4 protection, don’t they? So maybe we tank through all these years, to keep them? I mean, if picks is the ‘thing" and not winning…

14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Ive been saying this forever and people still dont get it. There's a difference between tanking and an honest rebuild. With our roster we likely lose no matter who plays. Tanking is what the Warriors did sitting Steph after Klay went down and getting WIseman because if they played Steph they wouldve won more games.

15. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

That and utterly failing with their lottery picks. Knicks turning it around now but not after some questionable drafting. Kevin Knox looks like a bust right now, same goes for that African PG from France I already forgot the name of. Knox over MPJ is comical.

No introduction needed about the Kings and Wolves, Bagley over Doncic (lol), Flynn over Curry (LOL), Kris Dunn (LMAO).

My point was, bad draft picks can keep a rebuild going indefinitely, even when you finish with 25 wins per year.

16. Denovo

Denovo Member

It wouldn’t be smart to keep gambling on 50/50 chances of keeping our picks. We need to be back in playoff/play in contention within two seasons.

Winning is always the goal. But you need talent to win and when you aren’t a premier free agent destination you have to get talent through the draft.

NewAge likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think a lot of this has to do with how you value the current cast of rookies and what you think they , along with this years lotto pick and Wood can ultimately be - a championship contender or not ?

If one of those guys turns into a franchise player , Wood is a great compliment and you have the ability to add another major piece via free agency after next year without losing anyone - before you give Wood that big contract.

If one of them isn't a star , you may as well trade Wood , stack up all the assets you can and tank it up again.

What this team is missing is someone to run the offense .... I'm down with the Porter experiment for the near term but maybe the point guard spot is where you spend that big free agent money when Wall expires. Porter is probably the biggest questionmark this team has going forward. is he your point guard of the future or not.

NewAge likes this.
  18. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

That's true but if they actually tanked and ended up with the worst record and not their mediocre trying to make the playoffs but falling short record then maybe they'd have a chance to draft Tatum over Ntilikina and Luka over Knox and maybe Jah or Zion over RJ. Ditto for the kings with maybe LaMelo over Haliburton and Green or Cade over Wagner and many more. We use these guys as examples for teams that have tanked for years but most of their picks are in the late lottery rather than the top 5. The Kings messed up Bagley for sure (still think Vlade was racist) but Fox turned out alright and maybe if their picks were in the top 5 rather than late lottery they'd be better. But nah they want to sign Whiteside, and trade for Harrison Barnes and throw big money at Buddy Hield. The Wolves are the other example and the two guys they actually got at number 1 are actually really good. If they get a vet this offseason they'd actually be pretty good already so thats kind of a success. It's too bad they sabotaged their tank last year. Imagine if they had their core plus a top 5 pick in this last draft. That would be amazing.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

My main issue since Harden left has been can we be good enough to
    entice Porter and Wood to continue being Rockets when their contracts
    run their course.

I'm ok now, if Wood wants max money and the Rockets allow him to leave
    to greener pastures. My goal would be to keep him longer if possible.

This past draft has set the Rockets up nicely though.

Team is probably set at these positions:
    PG) Porter
    SG) Jalen Green / Josh Christopher
    SF) Tate / Kenyon

C) Sengun/Garuba

So I have Porter highlighted. This season is about developing all the young kids;
    with Porter needing to learn how to quarterback a team. If he catches on
    like Harden did.....then he is a keeper....pay the man. If not, we man be looking to
    move on from him.

Green/Christopher may be good enough to move on from Porter as quarterbacks of the team
    while drafting a point guard or free agent singing at point.
    A.J Griffin
    Jabari Smith
    Patrick Baldwin
    Peyton Watson

at the moment I'm not a fan of Jalen Duren

** Personally this is why I passed on Evan Mobley.
    Because I saw better unicorns coming down the pass

with the Rockets first pick......then the Rockets have the Bucks and Nets
    pick to select a point guard or PF (if these players are more SF than PF).
    I see them as a step up at PF over Tate/Kenyon.

In essence, the Rockets can go many different routes.
    Porter: first try to train-- try to re-sign, trade or let walk
    Wood: try to re-sign or trade
    Josh Christopher: try to train- keep or trade
    Tate: in training- keep or trade
    Kenyon: in training- keep or trade

Future looks bright with more draft picks to plug in and play on the way.

#79 ApacheWarrior, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    PatBev and sydmill like this.
  20. amaru

amaru Member

Gonna be bad for a while unfortunately