1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets struggle with all their best players on the court

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CDrex, Mar 7, 2019.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

OP, good post... but so many lineup iterations you went through there. Curious as to the minutes, as I suspect many of them are way too small a sample size to matter. With a small sample size, one bad stretch of 10 minutes against one team and the whole thing is skewed.

vlaurelio likes this.
  2. PWR

PWR Member

Over the last 15 games, the Rockets have 14 different lineups that have played atleast 12 minutes (1 quarter) together. Of those 14 lineups, here are the best...

13 minutes: G. Green, .P. Tucker, .J. Harden, .A. Rivers, .C. Capela = +48.3 net rating

21 minutes: C. Paul, .P. Tucker, .J. Harden, .K. Faried, .J. Ennis III = +47.8 net rating

16 minutes: G. Green, .P. Tucker, .J. Harden, .A. Rivers, .J. Ennis III = +47.0 net rating

12 minutes: Nene, .C. Paul, .P. Tucker, .E. Gordon, .J. Harden = +39.9 net rating

12 minutes: C. Paul, .P. Tucker, .J. Harden, .C. Capela, .G. Clark = +12.0 net rating

13 minutes: G. Green, .P. Tucker, .J. Harden, .K. Faried, .A. Rivers = +9.1 net rating

12 minutes: P. Tucker, .E. Gordon, .J. Harden, .K. Faried, .J. Ennis III = +7.1 net rating

14 minutes: C. Paul, .P. Tucker, .E. Gordon, .K. Faried, .C. Capela = +6.7 net rating

85 minutes: C. Paul, .P. Tucker, .E. Gordon, .J. Harden, .K. Faried = +4.8 net rating

Our worst lineup in the last 15 games that has played atleast 12 minutes together (1 quarter)...

24 minutes: P. Tucker, .E. Gordon, .J. Harden, .K. Faried, .A. Rivers = -48.1 net rating.

D-rock and vlaurelio like this.
  3. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I had two sets of numbers up there. The first (starters: -4.1) was the full season. The second (starters: -0.6) was since Dec 9, which was the most obvious inflection point between the lottery team we were before then and the 55-win pace we've been on since.

Since Capela returned, that 5-man lineup is at -0.6 in five games. You have to go back to right before Paul's injury to get a full 10 healthy games from those five guys - over those ten games, they're at -0.3.

A fair point - sample size is why I didn't try to get too granular in identifying which guys were having success when filling in for starters. The full 5-man grouping I listed is the Rockets' second most common five man lineup after the opening night starting five (w/ Ennis), but it still has only logged 206 minutes in 23 healthy games. IMO that's enough minutes to start asking questions, but certainly not enough that it's hopeless or irreversible.

Deckard, HP3 and RockingRox like this.
  4. CDrex

A highly interesting question. At a glance, the performance of Paul/Harden/Gordon/Tucker/Capela has been miserable in the third, averaging a -13.7 point/100 possession deficit. I should note, though, that they've only played 58 third quarter minutes together - sample size becomes pretty hard to maintain when you're slicing the (already diluted by injury) sample into fourths.

Looking at four-man lineups with more recorded minutes, Paul/Harden/Tucker/Capela is at -12.2 in the third, and Gordon/Harden/Tucker/Capela is at -4.4, both in samples of over 140 minutes. The other groupings are all also negative, even the one without Harden that's positive over the whole game.

So yes, I think this question and the third quarter struggles are intertwined, at least as far as you could draw such a conclusion from just a couple hundred minutes of data.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nah.

He's having an awful shooting season.

He's just playing a lot.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean if he was truly awful on the floor I don’t see how that would make him a net positive by him playing more minutes.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Um, you probably want your best players outscoring the other team's best players in the Playoffs. Most of these cute benches basically fade away when the rotations are shortened. That's why the Raptors struggled last year. They relied on their bench too much. This is definitely concerning.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I feel like this team is built to beat the Warriors and to survive beating everyone else. So these stats don't seem to be very important. How are our starters versus the Kings? Who cares! Lakers? Who cares! Brooklyn? Who cares!

How we match up with Golden State is everything and the rest of the league is about figuring out a way to win. So what are our ratings when we play Golden State?

3-0 with a plus 28 for the team. Doesn't matter who's starting.

Now MDmA and the players are asked to figure out the rest of the league on their own because the GM got us over the hump as far as being highly competitive head to head with the Warriors. All these numbers in the OP's post are based their success against the league and I'm not really sure we're going to struggle with them when crunch time hits.

This is a solid championship contender when healthy at the end of the day. Let's just hope for health above all else because health will take care of winning. The grass is not greener in San Fran, Philly, Mili-walk-ee, Okee State, Canada or any other contending area of the world. We've got beautiful green grass here in Houston that we need to enjoy and take care of.

Hakeemtheking and Deckard like this.
  9. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I would agree with you on your point except this level of ISO wasn't there last year. This year nearly every possession is Harden ISO. Again, that is the result of injuries, but with full health, we don't need almost all possessions to be Harden ISO. I have more faith in Harden ISO than any other player playing ISO game in the NBA. However, as almighty as Harden is, he is human and this does put extra strain on his body, we want to leave some breath in him for playoffs. Some will argue that the more he's on the court the better shape he will be in. That's not proven. Anyways we both want the same thing, we disagree on the most optimal way to doing it. At the end of the day, our defense needs to be where it was last year for us to have a change like last year. Our offense will be there, I have no doubt about that.

10. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Wow, fun fact, but not surprising at the very least except River. I'm surprised about that. Usually, I cringe when I see him going ISO ball. He has good ball handling like Gordon, but both are average at best at finishing in traffic. As Rocket's fans we are just absolutely spoiled by Harden's and sometimes Paul's ISO games and superior finishing in traffic abilities that it's elite or bust.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26173297/10-things-like-including-chris-paul-swagger

1. Chris Paul has some of his snap back

Paul's shooting hasn't come all the way around during the Houston Rockets' climb into the Western Conference's No. 4 spot, but he has his quick-strike swagger back:

http://media.video-cdn.espn.com/gifs/mp4/9_10_9_02_4Q_HOU_TOR_3_5_CP_2GIF.mp4

What a freaking genius. Look at what Paul sees -- or at least what we can see of Paul's passing angle -- when he slingshots this baby to Eric Gordon:

[​IMG]

I mean, come on.

Paul isn't as fast as he once was. He can't blow by defenders -- including big guys on switches -- as easily as he could even last season. He's not a leaper. But when he's healthy, Paul snaps from a standstill into a high-speed lunge with alarming suddenness. He moves in sync with the ball on defense, or even just before the passer releases it. He is almost always anticipatory, not reactive. His brain makes his body faster.

Paul is doing his best work when James Harden rests. The Rockets have outscored opponents by 11 points per 100 possessions in those minutes, and that number has been even beefier -- about 17 points -- since Paul's return from injury in late January. He has a massively positive effect on Houston's wobbly transition defense, a consistent trend through Paul's career, per Cleaning The Glass.

Houston's best lineups haven't quite clicked, even during this streak. The Rockets are about even for the season when Harden and Paul share the floor, and their starting group -- Paul, Harden, Gordon, the indomitable PJ Tucker and Clint Capela -- has been a net negative.

That will change if Paul keeps playing this way.

Deckard likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ins-key-keeping-houston-title-window-open-nba

Paul is averaging 16.6 points, 9.9 assists and 5.6 rebounds in the past 11 games, which coincides with his minutes restriction being lifted following his recovery from the late December hamstring strain that sidelined for 17 games. The Rockets' second unit, with Paul running the show, is dominating opposing benches again like it did last season. His net rating during that stretch is plus-11.7 points per 100 possessions, by far the best of Houston's starters.

Since Paul returned to the lineup on Jan. 27, the Rockets have an offensive efficiency of 117.1 when he is on the court and 106.4 when he is off the floor. And according to Second Spectrum, he has created 6.8 "wide open" looks per game for his teammates this season, most in the NBA (that number jumps to 7.4 since Jan. 27, which is also tops in the league during that span).

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

More HARDEN hatred

Rocket River

14. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Are these for the entire season? Or is this since our 6-gm winning streak? Since CP + Clint returning?

Just asking since the level/intensity of basketball we're playing at now is significantly different than the beginning of the season. Though, I suspect a similar distribution you outlined given the style and rotations have been largely the same.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Agreed. These old vets slack off to start the third quarter.

Thanks OP, for real data.

16. CDrex

I posted the numbers for the full season first, and also for the "successful" part of our season since Dec 9 below that.

Due to Paul and Capela's injuries the numbers for our 6-game winning streak and the since-Dec-9 lineups are almost the same numbers, since Paul, Capela and Gordon played very few games together between Dec 9 and the all-star break.

RocketsFan247 likes this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I love reading this stuff. Thanks, J.R. and the OP. I can't help thinking of all the damn near countless posts we saw here slamming Chris, saying he was finished, that he was over the hill, that Morey was an absolute lunatic to sign him to a max deal that was promised to him if he would be willing to "eat" money his first season with the Rockets, and so on, ad infinitum. If healthy, CP3 is a huge plus for this team in different lineups, at different points during the game. While he's likely lost a bit physically as he's gotten older (Father Time does that to us all, dammit), he hasn't lost a bit of his "basketball brain," which can stand up to anyone's, in my opinion.

I agree with the couple of comments earlier that we need to back off a bit from ISOing as much as we do and get back to increased ball movement. When we do that, it makes decisions for the opposition more difficult and gives our guys even more open looks than they get already. It also gets everyone on the team more involved, which is a good thing, in my opinion. Heck, I've even see Green make a couple of passes to an open man. Green! A guy who never saw a shot he thought he couldn't make. We just need to stay healthy. The Rockets mantra these days.

kjayp, CDrex and steddinotayto like this.
  18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If we had the fountain of youth and the training staff Phoenix employed in the 2000s this team would be on the quest to repeat.

Deckard likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If only. You find some of that magical water, splash some my way, OK? ;-)

steddinotayto likes this.
  20. YaoMingsSoulja

I noticed in the game against the Raptors, that when the shots weren't falling late in the fourth, the Rockets players clearly weren't worrried, because they trusted their defense to make the necessary stops down the stretch. With plenty of games left in the season, they're defense will be elite like last year!

ITS HAPPENING GUYS!!!!!

Hakeemtheking and Riz like this.