1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets Starting Five this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

This is the best team the Rockets can put on the court this next year.

C--Ming
    PF-Taylor
    SF-Thomas
    SG-Mobley
    PG-Francis

and the backups are

c--Cato
    pf-Griffin
    sf-Rice
    sg-Nachbar
    pg-Norris

The all purpose forward is Terrence Morris.

This team is deep. That's why ESPN is ranking the Rockets as the number 6 team in the West. And if this team comes together like we all know it should, this team will break into the quartet of the Kings, Lakers, Mavs, and Spurs.

And then we could start draming championships once again.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Why am I the only one that thinks Griffin is the starter and that Taylor will only be so if he flat out outplays Eddie and earns the starting spot?

3. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Griffin still needs to muscle up some more.

Let's not be over anxious to make Griffin the starter. He will be our starter for 15 years starting next year. This year Griffin will help this team a lot if he can make the bench the best in the league.

4. codell

Its not that I am anxious to make Griff the starter. But he started last year and played well. Hell start the first 5 games this year for sure. I dont see Rudy handing a player thats coming off a one year layoff cause of injury the starting job come game 6 especially if Griff opens the season strong.

5. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

There is also the issue of how much he is being paid. I believe the team loves his game and his experience level and the kid can wait. They need to get MoT back to being a major asset to this team.

6. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

To start the season I think that our lineup will be

C-Cato(Ming WILL NOT start after missing almost all of training camp)
    PF-Taylor(First 5 games KT)
    SF-Rice
    SG-Mobley
    PG-Francis

Thomas will be the first player of the bench, probably for Rice depending on matchup situations. Nachbar will see very little pt in the first half I'm affraid.

7. codell

I dont think salary has anything to do with who starts. If that was the case, Cato would start over Ming.

Well have to wait and see. I still feel Griffin will be the starter whether he deserves to be for not. I dont see a player coming in after 1 year off and having a starting spot handed to him unless he proves hes better than what we had last year.

8. DaGhettoAsianFo

DaGhettoAsianFo Contributing Member

the reason Taylor should start....remember two seasons ago when he was killing everyone in the first quater by scoring like double digits in one quater...his explosiveness coming right off is just outstanding

9. codell

Two seasons ago, Mo averaged 13 pts and 5 rbs. To me, those numbers to say "automatic starter".

Its hard to win titles with a 4 that averages 13 and 5. Unless you are the Lakers of course. =)

10. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

PG- Francis
    SG- Mobley
    SF- Rice
    PF- Taylor (not the first 5 games)
    C- Cato (since Ming isn't arriving in Houston till the 22nd.)

11. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

Nachbar does not, and cannot play the 2. He will not be a back-up shooting guard primarily b/c he cant guard a 2.

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

My starting Five:

PG - Francis
    SG - Mobley
    SF - Rice
    PF - Griffin
    C - Ming

Taylor doesn't appear to be out of the woods yet, as far as recoving from his injury. I think they should bring him along slow, and if he can prove he's capable, he should be the starter. I think the Rockets need at least one experienced veteran in the starting lineup, and that it Glen Rice. I'm just hoping he stays healthy.

As far as distributing the minutes...this is the best I could come up with.

C : Ming (26), Cato (22)
    PF: Griffin (22), Taylor (22), Thomas (4)
    SF: Rice (20), Thomas (18), Nachbar/Morris (10)
    SG: Mobley (39), Francis (9)
    PG: Francis (30), Norris (18)

13. Elvis Costello

I tend to agree with those who think we should try to establish Mo Taylor again so we can figure out what to do with Kenny Thomas.

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Starting 5 will be:

C - Ming (even after missing preseason)
    PF - Mo
    SF - Rice
    SG - Mobley
    PG - Francis

People are in a big hurry to start Griffin and are knocking Mo's numbers, but it's not who starts the games it's who finishes them. Griffin could be our PF answer to Sam Cassell. Mo will set the stage and Griffin will close the show.

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

DC Kid I think you are expecting Mobley and Franchise to play too many minutes . If we are going all out for post season the guards must watch the wear in such a prolonged season, it also will reduce the chances of injury.

16. Truth

Truth Member

IMO, I think DCKid's minutes were ideal. Yetti, you can't be cutting down Cat and Wink's minutes from playing to avoid injury, they need to be on the floor as much as possible in order for us to win. I can see what you're saying about them needing to be fresh for the duration of the season, but these are not lazy players, they prepare for the "grind" non-stop in the offseason. I think if Steve and Cat had to play 2 games a night in order for us to win, they'd try do it, and be semi-successful at it because of their unbeliveable conditioning.

17. codell

Why does everyone say we are in a hurry to start Griffin? He was a starter last year!

He started 3/4 of the season last year and played well. Mo's 13pts and 5 rbs doesnt guarantee you a starting spot in my eyes. Griffin averaged 9 pts, 6 rbs and 2 blocks as a starter and in theory, will only improve this year.

Unless Mo flat out out plays Griffin after his suspension is over, there is no way Rudy is going to pull Griffin out of the lineup.

Francis at only 30 mins a game? No way.

18. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

39. 30 at PG, 9 at sg.

19. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

According to nba.com he only started 24 games last year.

20. codell

Ooops, didnt see the backup minutes. I was worried there for a sec.