1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets organisation under Evaluation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Jan 28, 2016.

1. hakeemthagreat

I think your totally underestimating how one dimensional our offense is. Our roster is good enough. But having your PG standing in the corner waiting for Harden to throw him the ball is not exactly maximizing your talent. The Rockets live & die with Harden, and for some reason I think Morey LIKES IT this way because it atleast keeps us somewhat relevant in NBA chattermills. Morey is a gimmick and needs to go.

2. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

I'm saying that I hear him complain on defense as a good thing... And exactly there's not 15-20 shots on PnR which means I believe he shouldn't be getting the ball to much outside of PnR and his rim runs. lol Boogie gets that many shots but offensively those two guys are light years apart. I don't think Howard should be getting many shots off of post ups anymore. But it's not to say in a game where he can dominate his guy you shouldn't see if he can but on most nights I'm not going into the game thinking we gotta get Howard 20 shots tonight because he's just gonna dominate his guy. He's not that guy anymore. In his two big games of the season where his numbers were ridiculous we have lost. So his huge games haven't amounted to much.

3. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

Well I did mention a ton of off ball screens which we don't set and all the ball movement which we do every now and then. But I think most Fans overestimate what we have honestly. We have a bunch of streaky shooters. Harden is a very willing passer when guys are hitting shots as he's been this season when guys are hitting shots but what does he do when Brewer, Thornton, Ariza, Ty, Bevs can't hit a shot to save their lives? The scenario where guys can't hit a thing happens often and last night was one of those nights.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Same can be said for harden and big games. Are you going to hold him to the same standard? Probably not huh

5. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

I'm far from a Harden homer I think he's lazy and there's nights where he is disconnected from the game. I think he needs a coach to keep him accountable. But recently I can remember one big game that Harden had that we lost. Aside from that usually if Harden has a big game the team wins. His numbers in wins and losses are very different.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty sure you're just referring to the triple double. when someone is averaging 20 shots a game of course the correlation will be there. but if you're going to call Howard out about numbers not amounting to much, JH should be held to the exact same standard. plenty of big games where the results were L's

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

Well, since you asked me, I'll tell you. But it's not going to make a lot of people happy.

Harden probably has to go.

Yes, I know. The thought of trading Harden is painful. I would love for Harden to lead us to a championship. But, that is very unlikely to happen.

The reason I think Harden has to go, is that he just isn't a leader. A leader doesn't throw in the towel at the beginning of the season. A leader doesn't just accept defeat. True leaders fight to the end, even when they know defeat is likely.

Players like Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Michael Jordan were great leaders on and off the court. These players were warriors who never wanted to lose any game. They didn't need a coach to hold them accountable. They held themselves and their teammates accountable.

I was very encouraged last season when Harden would talk about wanting to be a good leader. Remember? He did a lot of talking about wanting to lead his teammates. Harden and the Rockets had a goal to get home court in the early rounds of the playoffs. Harden had his best season ever, and people even gave him credit for trying to play defense.

So, what happened? Why has Harden, and his teammates seemed to have lost interest in playing defense? It's a combination of things really.

Something happened at the end of last season, and over the summer. Basically Harden got hit in the face with reality. The reality that no matter how hard he played, this Rockets team will never be as good as Golden State. Let's face it, the Warriors are in the early stages of becoming a dynasty. No one can challenge them right now. Harden sees this and has basically given up. No more talk of being a leader. No more talk about getting home court. He really doesn't seem to be doing anything a true leader does.

I do think acquiring Lawson gave Harden a glimmer of hope for this season. But I think he realized during training camp and the preseason that he really didn't want someone else handling the ball, and this whole Ty Lawson experiment was doomed from the beginning.

Furthermore, Harden signed that huge shoe contract over the summer. So, Harden has the money, and he has the fame. The only thing left for him to accomplish is winning a championship. But, he's come to the conclusion that this team just isn't good enough to win a championship. So, in some ways he's checked out. He's getting his numbers on offense. But, basketball games are won and lost on both ends of the floor. And it's really on defense that we see that Harden, and the players that follow his lead are just not competing.

So, in my opinion Harden probably has to go. He doesn't have the same fire burning in him that made players like Bird, Magic, and Jordan so special.

If Les and Morey do decide to blow this team up and trade Harden, I wouldn't expect anything to happen until this summer. I would expect Morey to first try to keep Harden, and try to bring in Durant and or other star players. If Morey can't pull off a miracle and find other quality players that can fit next to Harden, then Morey needs to trade Harden.

Harden should be worth an all-time record haul of young talent and picks. Since the Warriors are going to be really good for the next few years, I would rather go with youth than try to trade Harden for another Superstar. This is probably a good time to rebuild. By the time the Warriors start to decline, maybe our rebuild will be complete.

I have been a big Harden fan. But, I am a life long Rockets fan. We have to do what's best for the Rockets. I wish a coaching change could be enough to make a difference, but this isn't a coaching problem.

The great players don't need coaches to tell them to play harder. They JUST DO IT.

8. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

The Houston Rockets are rotten from head to toe

And until the old owner passes, it's gonna stay that way

9. dmoneybangbang

Lot of chicken little folks here. It simply hasn't worked out this year and maybe it's good timing with how good the Warriors and Spurs are.

Don't need to reinvent the wheel here and I see no reason to think the Rocket's won't continue to be a good team in the near future.

10. dmoneybangbang

Nah that's silly and everything you believe in is silly you honestly believe what you said.

11. dmoneybangbang

What you think is incorrect. You realize Morey was the GM before we acquired Harden, what was gimmicky back then?

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

We gave up a 100pts in three quarters yesterday and the GM's response is that we didn't hit enough shots.

Jesus christ this is depressing.

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Good Post...

T_Man

14. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

This. The Warriors is "Moreyball" done correctly.