1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets need to trade Steve (with apologies to MacBeth)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by A-Train, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Nero

Nero Member

A-Train,

I have said this before, and I will say it again:

Think back to the days of Olajuwon. Think back to the laments we had then. We had them, just like we have them now. They were just different laments, that's all.

Yes, we got two chamionships out of the, what, *17* or so he was here.

As talented as he was, we, the Rockets fans, spent about 90% of our time lamenting the fact that we were NOT a championship team. We spent time dissecting, complaining, moaning, and wishing.

Doing a LOT of wishing. Wishing that Ralph's knee had not suddenly done a Sam Bowie. Wishing that cocaine had not ever been discovered. Wishing that freaking George Karl had never been BORN.

But think about what oen of those most-repeated laments was: *IF ONLY* we had a dynamic superstar guard to go along with Hakeem. If only we had a guy who could take some of the pressure off, who could compliment his awesome inside presense with an equally awesome outside presence.

Hell, why do you think everyone was so desperate to love Vernon, ready, willing and able to totally dismiss the fact that the guy was a total scumbag. Even today, most who remember him in Rockets Red (myself included, to be frank) remember him fondly moreso than with venom.

We wanted that top-notch guard because WE KNEW THAT WE COULD HAVE AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN WINNING A HELL OF A LOT MORE THAN JUST TWO STINKING CHAMPIONSHIPS OUT OF 17 YEARS.

2 rings out of the entire time Olajuwon was here?? One of the greatest players EVER, and that is all we have to show for it?

Believe this: If Francis had come along when Hakeem was in his prime, this team could have won 5 or 6 straight rings, and been mentioned as one of the greatest dynasties, right up there with the others.

But now the situation is reversed, and people only want to remember those two glorious playoff runs, and forget the many many more years of frustration and anguish.

Now, we have an established, dynamic guard DUO (not just one but TWO, who'd-a-thunk-it?) and we have spent the better part of the past half-dozen years saying *IF ONLY* we had a dominant Center to take the pressure off these guys, a guy who could balance their outside presence with his own.

And what happens? We not only luck into the number 1 ping-pong ball, but we land a guy who could very well become one of the all-time greats at the center position.

And we're so used to pessimism and failure around here that we don't see this blessing for what it is. We are *this close* to basketball Nirvana, and all people can think of is 'what's wrong, this will never work, we need to get rid of some of our pieces'.

WRONG.

What we really need, still, is one defensive-minded, monster-rebounding power forward, and we will be unstoppable. In other words, we need Eddie Griffin *with his head screwed on straight*, we do NOT need to start trying to replace our talented players with less-talented ones simply in the name of laying all the responsibility at the feet of our young dominant Center from overseas.

Teah, that path may eventually lead to a couple of rings, ten years or so from now, but I would much rather have the 5 or 6 in a row we are going to win IF THIS TEAM STAYS TOGETHER.

As someone famous once said, 'Those who do not learn from the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them.'

2. GB_Rocket

GB_Rocket Contributing Member

That's an absolutely shocking trade. You should have posting privileges taken away for at least a month.

3. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

Love all of A-Train's posts shorter than 2 lines...;)

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Uh Francis didn't win a championship in college, unless you are talking about JuCo, which I wouldn't know a thing about.

Jeff's post was spot on. How can anyone disagree with that. Did everybody forget the buzz term that was going around during the preseason? INSIDE-OUT GAME anyone?

Somebody posted that steve and cat are averaging 15 and 13 shots respectively. OMG, such ball hogs:rolleyes:

5. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

dumbest post ever.

6. haven

haven Member

Good post.

I think people attacking A-Train overlooking the fact that he didn't personally say we should trade Steve. Just that there's always going to be difficulty implementing a post-oriented offense with a PG who could make a reasonable case for himself being the best player on the team. Especially when he was an established star when the C came. And when the C has humility issues.

I'm not sure I agree, but the ideas aren't all that controversial. Personally, I think that the situation will be remedied slowly. Yao is going to have to become more dominant, more demanding, and Steve is going to have to start thinking of himself more as an SG.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nero, you post almost got me into tears. So true. Great post.

8. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

One if the best posts ever, if you didn't mention Eddie Griffin's name.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

JuCo is what I'm referring to, hence the no excuses reference.

10. GB_Rocket

GB_Rocket Contributing Member

Awesome post Nero. Required reading for everybody.

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:eek: i agree with Sam!??! :eek:

12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Wtf is with this beating? I thought this thread was for entertaining the idea of trading Francis to make Yao the man. If you read enough of my posts you know I support the current team and don't think any move should be made. But if there is a move to be made, this would be a good move for the simple fact that Vlade and Funderburgh's contract come of the books at the end of the season. Those are two huge huge contracts. If we are gonna trade Steve in order to re shift focus, we need a new direction and players, that will not be possible with trading Francis/or Mobley along. We give up a lot in those 2 but the flexibility we get next season would be extremely helpful the upcoming season. Also Christy and Bibby isn't exactly chop liver either.

In the new age of NBA with the CBA, cap management and cap space are as important as the personel space you have. Look at Jim Jackson, Stephen Jackson, Keon Clark, solid players that are not getting what they are worth this year because of teams are not willing/able to pay them enough. Look at Rashad last year, he signed a below value (he was worth the max, but he got below his value) because teams aren't able to sign him. There are gonna be ton of solid free agents in upcoming years that might sign below value. In short we need the cap space. Vlade's 12 million and funderburg's 4 milliong will give us the flexibility to go after any one we want this offseason, to shore up the neccessary players to run a new offensive scheme.

As I've said, I don't usually like trade proposals and I believe that the Rockets need to give the current group a chance. But if we are just tossing ideas around here, let's look at trade that's realistic and give us some chance down the line and no just immediate impact.

13. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Awesome post Nero...

STICK WITH THE CURRENT TEAM

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Nero said it all.

Even if we did look to trade Steve...we would never get equal value for him, unless we get another player of his caliber in return. And that would defeat the purpose. We'd end up getting a role-player PG and a role-player PF and maybe a pick or two...then have to wait until Yao hits his prime and is on top of the league to win anything. Why not keep them both, and win for more than a year or two?

15. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I love the Franchise and wouldn't trade him for anyone (Carter, a healthy Carter, a dominating healthy Carter...I'd think twice).

I would like to point out that Steve very much loves Canada too :D

16. whats up

whats up Contributing Member

Steve Francis for Baron Davis

or

Steve Francis for Vince Carter

:)

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Although Baron Davis has stromed out the gate this season and has probably been the best point guard up till now this season, his injuries alone would prevent me from making that trade. Not only that, but lets wait and see if this tremendous play continues.

On Carter, I also would be worried about his injuries but I do think he's a better compliment to Yao. But then you would really need to go out and get a point guard.

18. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Maybe I missed it (forgive me) but no one has use the puerile term Yao-Only fan or Steve-Only fan yet. What is worng here?

Anyway - on a more urgent note, I just hope we don't play today like we played against Miami because we will be squarely playing into Dallas' hands. Lets show patience, deliberate play calling, unselfishness, ball movement and most important MAKE THEM PLAY OUR game or to our tone and dictation. I don't really like Dallas. This is one game I really don't want to lose.

But as for 'morrow's game I know WE WILL WIN because we have Phoenix under our spell for a long time to come.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll say it again... We don't trade Francis because Yao can't dominate a game. Yao might be the steadiest, and therefore the best offensive option, but he doesn't have the attitude, conditioning or play with that inner fire at this point to take over a game. Steve does. Steve may be more prone to make mistakes, but when the chips are down and the pressure is on, only Steve is able to take the team on his back and through his will and determination win the game. Richard Jefferson of the Nets said as much after that game. That kind of situation will arise more in the playoffs once we make it there.

That being said, I think it's wrong to assume that both players can't prosper on the same team. I think it's great to have Yao as the main option, and Steve as the guy to carry us when he needs to.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Because you hadn't posted yet.