1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets need to trade Steve (with apologies to MacBeth)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by A-Train, Nov 13, 2003.

1. tozai

tozai Member

I think people here neglect an important factor: consistency

You can't keep trading players left and right. Chemistry needs to be built and players need to get used to playing together. It's only year 2, give it a break. All these trade threads are usually the stupidest thing about this board next to often unwarranted player bashing. I wish there were more threads like that one about Approaching Fronting the Post...you know, threads about basketball, instead of bickering about players. I guess there aren't enough knowledgeable people on this board for that to ever be near a majority of topics, though.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

yeah, so lets chuck everything and gamble the next five to ten years and put it all on Yao to become a dominant low post player, whetehr he wants to or not, who gets shoved around by dudes who are a foot shorter and a hundred pounds lighter, gets winded after 3 quarters, and and who has played basketball for 7 days a week for the past 4 years without stopping and won't be able to do so, basically ever....

No thanks. Stay the course. Everything is going fine.

3. verse

verse Contributing Member

nope.

the ideal trade would be steve francis for vince carter.

vince would not take the ball away from yao, is a superb shooter, and has the ability to break down defenses if need be.

vince carter and yao ming would be illegal in 52 states, 2 countries, and 35 parishes...

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

So the basis of trading for pierce is because Yao doesn't get the ball as much.... I would much rather have the player with 3 more assists

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Ok, I don't usually do this, but what the heck.

Houston trades:
    C Kelvin Cato (4.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 17.1 minutes)
    PF Maurice Taylor (8.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 20.6 minutes)
    PG Steve Francis (21.0 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 6.2 apg in 41.0 minutes)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (17.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 41.7 minutes)
    Houston receives:
    C Vlade Divac (9.9 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 3.4 apg in 29.8 minutes)
    PF Lawrence Funderburke (2.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.3 apg in 8.5 minutes)
    SG Doug Christie (9.3 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 4.7 apg in 33.9 minutes)
    PG Mike Bibby (15.9 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 5.2 apg in 33.4 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -13.6 ppg, -3.6 rpg, and +3.2 apg.

Sacramento trades:
    C Vlade Divac (9.9 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 3.4 apg in 29.8 minutes)
    PF Lawrence Funderburke (2.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.3 apg in 8.5 minutes)
    SG Doug Christie (9.3 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 4.7 apg in 33.9 minutes)
    PG Mike Bibby (15.9 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 5.2 apg in 33.4 minutes)
    Sacramento receives:
    C Kelvin Cato (4.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 73 games)
    PF Maurice Taylor (8.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 67 games)
    PG Steve Francis (21.0 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 6.2 apg in 81 games)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (17.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 73 games)
    Change in team outlook: +13.6 ppg, +3.6 rpg, and -3.2 apg.

Why the rox would do it, they get to move some dead contracts in Cato and MoT. Receive what many considers to be team players in Bibby and Christie. Another wise big man in Vlade to help Yao and give him rest this season, and Lawrence funderburg to add depth to our pf spot that's been lacking.

It also frees up cap with vlade and lawrence contract expiring and this would trully place the respoinsibility to on Yao to be the man, but it also give him suffecient pieces to aid him in that situation.

Cato is a young serviceable big man that can play well off the bench as a pf or C behind Brad Miller and Chris Webber. Steve and Mobely will be an incredible addition atleast in talent to the Kings. The question is can they gel. But with a starting 5 of Miller, Webber, Peja, Mobes, and Steve, the Kings should be fine against other top powers such as lakers and Mavs. With Cato, Peeler and ofcourse Jackson of the bench Sac is deep enough. They also need to make a move soon because their window of a championship is closing fast. It's a risk for them but I think they'll take it.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Nice, that is so true.

7. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Let's trade Francis- because he's the best player on the team right now.

Huh?

A-train said in his own initial post that Yao needs to believe in himself in order to take over. But we shouldn't hold him responsible for that- instead we should our best (or second best) player. This is just silliness.

It's up to Yao to dominate or not to. It's up to him to change his own attitude. His submissiveness is his own responsibility. Hold him responsible! Enjoy watching the gentle giant find the strength within! This is his journey. Let's enjoy watching him grow.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This just isn't true.

First, Francis is not the primary guy passing into the low post. If he was and he was struggling so badly making that pass, guys like Jim Jackson and Nachbar would be getting the opportunity to make the entry pass every time down the floor. They aren't because they are struggling with that pass as well.

Second, Padgett was only able to lob on one occassion and it was specifically because there wasn't a weak side defender. At that point of the game, the Heat had been fairly worn down and weren't as agressive.

Third, every offense is designed to have multiple options based on the defense of the other team. In our case, Yao is option #1, but if the other team has him surrounded, the team has to go to another option. They aren't just supposed to force the ball into the low post every time if there are three defenders around Yao.

This isn't Yao as a decoy or Yao being ignored or even Yao not being strong or agressive enough in the post. This is surrounding Yao with multiple defenders before there is even a pass attempted. Olajuwon NEVER faced that kind of defense.

As long as we keep burning teams from the perimeter and with our guard play, defenses will be forced to adjust and Yao will eventually get one-on-one coverage in the post.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Good post Jeff. Glad someone else cleared that up, I didn't feel like typing all that. Our guys are doing great, like Jeff said, it doesn't make sense to force the ball into your big guy when he is double or triple teamed. That's when you through it around the arc to the open man.

10. zong

zong Member

No No No!:eek:

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Exactly Jeff , precise and accurate observations.

12. Thanos

Thanos Member

Bobfinn*, don't look now but the Celts aren't looking nearly as good as some experts predicted.

Looks like Walker had more to do with their success than anyone anticipated.

Besides, Pierce is a world class choker. He reminds me of Karl Malone. Great regular season guy, carries his team to the playoffs and chokes the life out of it when the time comes.

I have watched him choke in the playoffs through 3 seasons now, with awful FT% performances and average gameplay, far below what he is capable of.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

On the other hand, verse has me convinced. In addition to Kidd, Tmac and Brand, a trade for Carter is a great idea.

Otherwise, forget it!

13. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

please make it stop. not another trade.
    if the rockets make this trade i will be verry verry angry.

great post Jeff

14. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

So is Kobe (Shaq)

15. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

oh my god.. another trade proposal.. obviously you didnt watch the game the other night when Yao went 5-18 or something.. who carried us? STEVE.. come on guys.. there are going to be nights when things arent going for either Steve, Yao, or Cat... thats the point of a TEAM.. someone else can help carry the Load.. i guarantee IF Francis ever got traded.. which will NEVER happen, everyone would be crying to trade someone for somone else becuase we dont have enought superstars on the team.. ughhhh... no one is ever content!! for god sakes!! we're 5-1 and leading the west.. i know we played crappy teams.. but these are they same teams we lost to last year.. and now we are blowing them out.. stick to the team.. pass the ball.. everyone is happy.. INCLUDING Steve and Cat.. they just want to win.. i think they are tired of losing

16. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Wizkid...

That has to be the worst trade imagined while sitting at a 4x4 cubical

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What did Paul win in college? Francis won a championship in College. And don't give me any excuses.

18. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

I love trades:

Charlie Ward (6.03 M) --> Moochie (3.6 M) + EG (2.3 M)

Weatherspoon (5.44 M) + Sweetney (1.53 M) --> 7M TE (Rice)

Oh wait, this is the "Blame Stevie" thread. My bad.

19. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Last I checked the Spurs are the WORLD CHAMPIONS so yeah, I would be ok with that.

20. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Kobe doesn't run the offense, but Francis does. Kobe's primary responsibility is scoring, Francis is supposed to run the offense.

--daoshi