1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets may already have a third star...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RickyNewport, Jul 20, 2013.

1. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Having a star power forward would be great but is that really a high priority...?

Howard is a Super Star big man and if he's worth $22 million a year, a serviceable power forward should be all that is needed. Kareem, Moses, Hakeem, Duncan, Shaq, Garnet, Dirk, Bosh, Gasol _ these guys have won rings on teams without having another star big man on the court with them so why can't Howard... Ryan Anderson is garbage in the playoffs (31% field goal and 34% from three point range) and didn't Howard make it to the finals with him...?

I'm not opposed at all to getting a star power forward but now that we have Howard I don't think that's absolutely necessary for the Rockets to win a championship. And really all we have to trade is Asik and a bunch of question marks (Morey won't be able to sucker every GM like he did Presti). TJ, D-Mo, Smith, or whoever Morey trades Asik for should be just fine. Howard should make up for anything that is lacking at the 4 position.

And just maybe Parsons can be that third star player on this team. In 6 games in the playoffs he averaged 18 ppg (shooting 45% from the field and 40% from three point range), 6 rebounds and 3 assist. Those are All Star caliber numbers. And now that Howard is on the team and helps open up the court for everyone... Isn't it possible that Parsons can carry those numbers into this coming season...??? Paul George averaged 19 ppg in the playoffs (shooting 43% from the field and 32% from three point range), 7 rebounds, and 5 assist. Everyone considers Paul George a star player _ well Parsons regular season numbers and playoff numbers are right there with his...

What do you guys think. Do we really need to go after a star power forward...???

2. haydenfisher342

If we can get an allstar type PF with a Morey type move then yes I do want an allstar pf. Asik/Lin + tjones/motie + some picks is worth it. Anything more including Beverly, and Parsons is not.

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Can we just be happy we're at at this junction? This season is already going to
    be Rockets' we haven't seen in some time. Good Times!

Go Rockets!

1 person likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Rockets have third star, it is Asik.

5. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

Umm..yeah, but he plays the same position as one of the others.

6. BongDong

BongDong Member

PG: Jeremy Lin | 13.4 PPG / 6.1 APG / 15.0 PER
    SG: James Harden | 25.9 PPG / 5.8 APG / 23.0 PER
    SF: Chandler Parsons | 15.5 PPG / 5.3 RPG / 15.3 PER
    PF: Lamarcus Aldridge | 21.1 PPG / 9.1 PPG / 20.5 PER
    C: Dwight Howard | 17.1 PPG / 12.4 RPG / 19.5 PER

This is going to smoke the nba. Lets get it done Morey! :grin:

7. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

May I point out that the Rockets were expected to win 50+ next season, just from internal player improvement from Lin, Parsons, Harden etc. Then they added Howard without losing any important talent. That probably puts them on a pace to win 56 - 62 games next season. Not to shabby.

The FO has the luxury of being able to wait for another piece. The trade deadline is when I expect to see Morey become active again. Right now there really is not any talent available in the NBA for a reasonable price. And we know that Morey will not overpay. So trade deadline is it.

9. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

No. The last thing the Rockets need to do is pull a Amare or Bynum or Jefferson.

Reshuffling the NBA doesn't necessarily mean good things. Lebron Wade and Bosh were a rare instance where you had great players that all could carry their teams - form up to play on the same team together.

Its the same level of maturity, intensity, dedication, commitment and focus that they shared.

Rockets already have that with a lot - if not the entire remaining roster from last season.

The onus, the burden, is upon the new additions to show they belong - outside of Dwight Howard whom I know will have a phenomenal season because he gets to be himself, the God-fearing + fun loving + smiling guy that meshes so well with the personalities of Chandler Parsons, James Harden, Patrick Beverly, Jeremy Lin, and the rest!

But at the same time I'm trusting in the GM (Harden * Howard) and the Assistant GM Morey ~ to not pooch the ball and ruin the chemistry & core that has developed so far.

10. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

You always try to improve the team. Labels mean nothing, e.g. star, but team chemistry is everything. If a situation comes along in which we can improve the team, then DM should do it. If Parsons is part of that, then so be it. Improving the team comes first.

11. jlowe362

jlowe362 Member

Already said it b4 wtg = way to go but wtm m=way togo morey lol

12. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

All of those threads are pretty much saying how we need a third star. I'm bringing up the idea that we may not need one and or may already have one in the making with Parsons...

With that said, with all the Lin and Harden bashing threads that pop up daily and people starting random trade idea threads daily when Clutch specifically made a thread for that purpose... Let me make it buddy :) If Mr Clutch doesn't like it he will close it...

13. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

wait, so you're saying that parsons is good enough to be our "3rd star"? i have never heard that before on here. Tell me, what are your thoughts on our jerseys?

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Any time you speak of a third star, Parsons name will come up. I just think people are too tired of that conversation in other threads to really discuss it now. It's definitely been talked about a ton because of all the coverage CP got this past week as one of the potential big three. Who knows though, maybe if you bring up Lin the thread will blow up. ;)

#15 RV6, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  15. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

How many star quality power forwards do you think are in the NBA and which one do you actually think we can get with that package...? Minnesota and Portland already have centers and point guards so Morey would have to get something they want with those guys from another team which could also be difficult. Maybe Bosh from Miami, but giving Asik to the Heat is like giving them a ring.

If Morey trades for a power forward, I think it may be for a lower level guy like Ersan are someone along those lines.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Been saying that pimpn.

17. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

You're right RV6. My apologies... But if you notice my thread is also about Howard. If that dude is worth $22 million a year and can walk on water like many say he can do _ we shouldn't need a high priced power forward... And history shows for the most part you only need one star big man to compete for and or win a championship. San Antonio almost won with Grandpa Duncan and Tiago... So I don't get the notion that we must get a star power forward.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hey!!!!! LOL you know we are like Warren G around here. "We want it all". I agree we dont need a star PF or another Superstar player. We have Parsons, we have Lin who might improve his play. Shidddd Jones or DMo might have a breakout year. Who knows!! We have a solid team so no need to make anymore moves.

19. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

If I'm Parsons, I would not want a third star brought in, because that third star reduces him to a role player and would reduce his future payday.

If I'm that third star thinking of joining the Rockets, I'd have to realize I'd become option number three and probably see a lot of my stats go down, especially on offense.