1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets have possibly the WORST practice facility in the league.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Xopher

Xopher Member

We need to get back to the basics. They need to be playing on an outdoor basketball court with chain nets. I mean come on that run down gym and punching cow carcasses worked for the greatest boxer of all time, Rocky Balboa! Damn these millennials and their being catered to!!!!

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well the problem is Leicester city isnt the owner of the Rockets right? Doesn't matter how much you complain. Would I love it if Tilman spent his billion on the Rockets instead of his yacht? Well no **** it's not like I get a cent where he spends his cash. But he didn't do that so what're you gonna do about it? It's his money at the end of the day and not yours.

I don't care about better facility, to me as long as there is a basketball court that is up to NBA standards that good enough for a practice facility already. Did GSW's multibillion practice facility help the Warriors make the play in? Nah. We can't prove how much a better practice facility improves a team's win because where you practice isn't as importance as how you practice and what you practice. If the better facility just means having Xboxes and Ps5s in your locker like what the Mavs have how does that help the team win games? If you are talking about better scouting tech, better investment in analytics programs and computers, then yeah those stuff would def lead to more wins. A bigger practice facility can just mean more spacious lockers for players and snazzier conference rooms for coaching staffs. That sort of stuff while nice doesn't really directly correlate to winning games.

Btw, nice to see you moved your goal posts. So you agree I didn't say winning doesn't result in money? You admit you made that entire **** up right?

hakeem94 and Salvy like this.
  3. Jalen Green OnlyFan

The Spurs facility look depressing though. San Antonio has such a gloomy vibe.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  4. Franchise 101

Franchise 101 Member

All the money these brothers bring in for Les and now Tillman and they go cheap? Says alot about their character, smh

5. Salvy

Salvy Member

With these people there will always be something they can create in their heads that justify their hate for Tilman, right now its that they tanked for a top 5 pick so they say....

"Rockets are the worst team in the league thanks to cheap Tilman" They will never mention Harden forcing his way out, Morey trading CP3 for Westbrook, MDA refusing to call a timeout or actually coach a team instead of letting them shoot 3's every single damn time.

They don't use logic, they use whatever is within their reach to blame Tilman. If The Rockets had a bad season, its Tilman.... Its the training facility, its that Tilman is broke despite not having a single free agent or player Tilman could actually pay in order to avoid the implosion Harden, Morey and MDA caused.

He bough a Yacht! see Tilman is wasting his money on him and not team... As if that means anything, they say everyone left because of Tilman but everyone that did leave has praised the org and everyone that did leave found themselves in a position they wanted. Tilman relocated every player into a situation they asked for.

When The Rockets are good again, they will be clinching their butts at the opportunity of a top free agent not coming to Houston so they can say "See, no one wants to play for Tilman" And when The Rockets are good they will create some other bs like "The only reason Tilman invested money is so he can make money out of the team".... These are 4ever divas with a narrative that keeps them going, they live for the narrative. They will push it till the very end despite our training facility, season record or good moves by Tilman. All they do is Hate...

6. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

The hate is strong at the clutchfans.net

7. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

They can always keep the underground court while still building a state-of-the-art facility. It's beyond time.

With that said, construction costs are high right now and Tilman is still cheap until proven otherwise. I don't see it happening anytime soon, unfortunately. He apparently already blew his practice facility money on UH upgrades.

8. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

I think the Medical Center area would be a great location or maybe the east end. But definitely something inside the loop or close to Toyota Center.

Deckard likes this.
  9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Lets just take back the Summit.

DreamShook likes this.
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

They should talk to Midway Development about the possibility of a training facility at the East River Project. Would be very near Toyota Center. And I would think Midway would love to get the glamour of the Rockets attached to their development.

Deckard likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Can someone tell me why this matters?

Are Houstonians paying for that in bonds as well?

CK Johnson likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

How about Tilman upgrade the actual in-game experience at TC like he promised he would? The atmosphere and overall vibes are a joke, and it’s been that way since TC opened aside from a few moments.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Post Oak hotel area.

14. Salvy

Salvy Member

What moments?

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

the latter like 1/3 of the 22 game win streak

GS home game in 17-18 where Harden hit the dagger and CP3 hit Kerr with the fake laugh

game against Pacers where we beat their ass and Harden had the dunk and the Super Saiyan gif was born

game 7 against Clippers

WCF against GS

those are some of them where I was in the building and it was a legit HCA advantage…there’s probably a few more sprinkled in that just aren’t coming to me at the moment

16. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yeah but that's because of how crazy Houston was sometimes with Harden, but how in the world do they turn TC into that every game. Very few people even care anymore, they rather go watch The Texans... I heard it was because of the poor location, Houston at Compaq Center/The Summit looked crazy.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Keep track of who u are debating with before u sprout sht like that. Made what sht up?

When did i say when we upgrade to better training facilities, we would do the stupid improvement sht u mentioned (ps5/xbox/lockers). If that's occurs that's on our stupid owner 4 wasting money. It's better equipment, more space, nicer floors that will correlate to our players training and practicing more efficiently.

We can't prove how much a better practice facility improves a team's win because where you practice isn't as importance as how you practice and what you practice.

How u practice = equipment, type of space, trainers and whatnot which is basically the fking definition of a practice facility. Such nonsense defending our cheapass owner.

Using gsw previous season results is just bs. If u want to use that angle, our shtty practice facility got us dead last

18. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lol, you can't just say, "more wins isn't worth it because practice is expensive." If you keep dumbing down your arguments, you'll always think you're right.

2 additional wins every season is worth well over $100M amortized over 30 years.

In other words, 2 marginal wins is worth orders of magnitude more than $100M, which is why 26/30 teams have invested in the idea, and why the other teams are fielding bottom tier teams, and are known to have bottom tier management.

I mean come on, this isn't even about being wrong, this is about not being a moron. You should be mad our team isn't spending money on things that make our team better. It doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever, other than enjoying being a brain washed dingus.

tehG l i d e likes this.
  19. DonatelloLimestone

It just matters what perspective you look at it from and if, you're thinking soley from the owners perspective and run this like a day to day margin business, then yes hes thinking what makes sense best for the owner. I guess thats one way to fandom. the buck stops with him and his budget and that opersates and allows flexiblity, but then when we say the trajectory changed with him, they go all YoUR ObsEssEd wiTh TilMan, usually where you go when you don't have a tangible dispute or argument to the ffacts shown. Its almost as if these same guys who critique harden and we said you are obsessedw ith harden, well no it makes sense bc the game runs through the dude. Just lke our entire budget and mandate and direction runs through the owner, the manager executes according to that budget and thats the final say.

But this is a players league, right/
    So now look at as a player, doesnt matter if its Jalen Green or Hardne...you are seeing small market teams like bucks and spurs build brand new facilities, invest hundreds of millions in the player experience. Just lke any job, a nice environment 'cultur'e will draw talent...talented staff.players. and people who are abotu focusing on excellence. Theres a reason when Kobe bryant who is a laker lifer saw the lakers taking it easy, he demanded a trade or help. No one accuses him of being soft or not a winner, but thats how it goes I guess. He won with shaq a teh best, and then he demnded a trade when he didn't do it 'himself'? almost as if you always need a team ,depth, organization to win and the main players who compete know that.

So now green has his extension, he sees teh rest of the league with better facilities, but @roslolian tellls him you better guarantee a finals, or prove it to me that you this will tangibly win games...and hell say ok, i can goto any other team and have better facilities if its like that...adn these guys will be like what a diva. As if your job, another company made you an offer had better offices, better facilities, an evnironment you enjoyed, and more depth/talent...and the money is the same or you deide to stay where an owner and fans demand more, blame you, with a worse off support product. I wonder if they'll learn then that theres a reason small market teams all around do it. Maybe theres ar eason that they couldn't prove PJ tucker is going to lead to a title. or 150 million for jrue holiday and 3 picks...like any business, you have toa ssume risk, probably more so in sports. I wonder if raptors fans said guarantee marc gasol at 34/35 and 50 million will guarantee a title with leonard. Or when Cavs gave JR and Klove and Tristan huge contracts to retain them bc they didnt have leverage for lebron's window and theyir up against the best team ever in warriors...there was no guarantee, there isn't. Someone just bought the snake oil

I was excited when Tilman got on, @Salvy. A local, a high talking billionaire...I igured it'd be a massive upgrade, he talked and said the right things. but he didn't back it up, not only did he over sell ,you guys don't even care the dude likes(calling trading a first round pick for tax an "Accident") (lying about MDA's contract publicly) but for some reason they think the dude on the top with the tigers is teh victim. ITs like someone thinking harden is a victim, no harden deserves his criticism bc hes teh best, i think hes done historic things for our franchise outside of hakeem, but his flaws are there and obvious and its important if we want to improve to call them out. This dear leader north korea don't question or you're not loyal is just the oddest thing, Les sucked, we called it out. Tilman sucked, look at our moves, look when he lies to us in public, do you guys dispute any of the facts? ITs an odd thing bc all of us agree morey and harden all share blame, but the literal moves we were doing were all budget saving and if you're barometer is guaranteeing a finals, then you would never have sniffed clutch city.

The stuff he pulls, is there any owner doing this kind of thing? whens the last time a team went from 1 seed to last seed in 3 straight yearss? when dirk won mvp nad lost in the first round, would you guys not run it back bc theres no 'proof' he can win and he choked at first/ "what about giannis last year, 1-4,,...hell this tyear down 0-2 he was terrible on the line, they stuck with their boys...not hte owner, they got magic done. Sad to see so many fans not suport our team, and just spend their energy defending the owner.

No big deal, we got Jalen only fans, lin only fans, harden only fans, morey only fans, and I guess despite not seeing this any where a

20. DonatelloLimestone

Ask yourself this....was there ever a day we thought that if a player had to choose between the Nets, Rockets, Clippers...Rockets would be last

Read the actual quotes, now see taht even the SPurs, Bucks are spending 100so millions on facilities...and now if a free agent, rookie or anyone else is coming to see what type of work evnironment is and the money offer is the same...how do we win that battle? If jalen green on year 7 when the contract can be close enough with other teams and he sees the facilities the investments in these franchise while 3/4 fans on here scream shut up and listen and win on a budget....wonder where he'll go...of course it would be helpful if fans rooted for the players and not one guys savings, but it is what it is. I'm not sure what the cure for that is

"Griffin then goes on to talk about how things have changed since Steve Ballmer bought the team.

“Ballmer wants to win no matter the cost,” Griffin wrote. “Donald Sterling didn’t care if we won — at least if it meant he had to spend money. It wasn’t just about spending money on players. For years, our training staff wanted to buy this sophisticated computer software that would let them scan our bodies and keep track of our progress throughout the season. Sterling wouldn’t sign off on it.

“When I walked into the training facility for the first time this summer, the entire vibe was different. People were smiling. From the security people to the game operations staff to the office staff, everybody seemed happy to be there. For the first time ever, they were on permanent contracts. Under Sterling, all the staff were on temporary contracts. Top to bottom, everybody just appreciates being appreciated now."

"'I educated [Davis] on why I thought the team wouldn't be . . . ' He paused. 'All athletes are competitive and confident, until reality sets in. And I educated him on things.'"

Paul laid out what superstars need to see from teams to give a long-term commitment.

"You either need your team in place, or you need flexibility, assets, money, and the ability to make decisions. And, more important, the willingness to pay the [luxury] tax ... This ain't 'Moneyball.'"

Paul was referring to a team either being ready to compete, having future flexibility to improve the team, and being willing to pay the so-called luxury tax for spending over the salary cap. According to Chotiner, the Pelicans were not willing to pay it at the time and thus kept their payroll below a certain level.