1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets have possibly the WORST practice facility in the league.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Shhhh. You have to let the babies cry themselves to sleep!

Seems like Fonde Rec Center was enough of a "proper" training facility for the old school. These youngsters are too soft! :D:D:D

REEKO_HTOWN, cdrive and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Tilman had me all excited when he said that stuff 5 years ago

he was talking about upgrading the fan experience at TC too trying to make it a true HCA

I was all in

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Tilman stans get their panties in a bunch when folks on here brings this topic up.

We can come back to this topic in another 5 years and it still won't b addressed. Dem bootlickers always got an excuse for everything when tilman fails to deliver.

I rather we have an owner that just shut up and b oblivious to the issues we have. Nothing is more irksome knowing that the owner recognizes the issue, does an entire interview or talks to the press about it and then completely avoid actually takin action.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm convinced Tilman will build something at or near the The Post Oak because he's always trying to combine his businesses. I can't stand that he does that but that's his MO. I'm guessing he owns the parking lot right behind Willie G's near Post Oak that would fit a multi-level parking and a practice facility. Would require some serious investment so he should put his money where is mouth is.

ajc123 and kdchilds like this.
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I remember reading that article, do you know if there's been any progress on this one. It seems like it's priority for him, but then it just went all quiet.

6. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Lot of wasted space in some of those practice facilities-

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow. Calling that "state of the art" just doesn't seem to do it justice. Simply amazing.

With the salary structure the league has, often a player isn't choosing so much between how the contract itself is written and the dollar amount, but more for things like fit, playing time, where they might be in the team's rotation, odds of starting, or eventually moving up into the starting lineup. The things that impact their playing career with the team.

Then there are possibilities to literally be able to pad their salary by making commercials and the like. Things besides shoe contracts, which aren't available to every player. The Spurs, a small market team, work hard to get their players opportunities for local commercials. We see Spurs players on HEB commercials here in Austin frequently. The things outside of their contract that impact their pocketbook.

Then there are things the team's organization does that directly impacts their fitness, their playing longevity in the NBA, and how they are able to improve different aspects of their game. Sure, quality of coaching is huge when it comes to those things, but what we saw in that video that the Suns can offer their players? Putting aside what I certainly see as the greater appeal of the City of Houston as a place to live, for a host of reasons, compared to living in Phoenix for much of the year, having access to the training facilities the Suns have would be mighty damn appealing. Particularly to a veteran player, in my opinion.

The Rockets need to step up. Our players deserve better. A lot better.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Fillmon: "We can't even practice when there's a concert."

Also Tallmin: "Our new practice facility will also be an entertainment venue!"

9. TimDuncanDonaut

That Suns facility was reported $45 mil to build. Basically what Tilman paid Wall this year for sitting. ( $44,310,840 ). Minus $6m if you count the savings from the buyout.

Operating income for HOU Rockets

2015 $75m
    2016 $63m
    --- tilman buys team
    2017 $95m
    2018 $103m
    2019 $110m
    2020 $94m
    2021 $33m (covid was a down year for teams)

sauce sauce2

Yes he can afford it.

#369 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

We always wonder why Rockets players seem to get injured a lot and are out for a longer period of time than usual. Perhaps they do need a Phoenix facility because those folks revive injured players' careers

Rudyc281, Caesar and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought the Suns had a cheap owner.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. rimrocker

No, he's just racist and misogynistic.

lionaire, Rudyc281 and Easy like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I can't wait for the next thread talking about how the Rockets have the worst sideline Gatorade selection in the league.

Everyone knows, quality Gatorade flavors win championships.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Rocket players shouldn't have to bath in Buffalo Bayou after practice.

Pringles, J.R., bigbodymoe and 2 others like this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Well players on other teams don't run the risk of running into the wall during scrimmages

Scarface281, BigggReddd and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

What about the Guy V. Lewis Development Facility 2 1/2 miles from the Toyota Center?
    They could do that if this was actually a thing. F##k that Kentucky facility fr.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Now we’re talking

cdrive likes this.
  18. rimrocker

Terfitta is so cheap he only lets them buy the original lemon-lime.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Not surprised the dude who thought Jalen green would b the next Corey Brewer 2.0 doesn't believe having a brand new training facility would have any positive impact on players success is a valid complaint.

No one is equating new state of the art training facilities to guarantee rings. Just it's been proven that better training facilities yield better results.

Look no further then the Olympics first world countries takes a dump on the third world countries in medal counts all day long.

Before u bring up a counter. Having a great training facility/court is only a factor in building a great team, u Also need the right personnel

TheRealist137 and majicdonjuan like this.
  20. NateNate

NateNate Member

I was thinking it would be easy enough for him to just buy the lot behind TC to build and connect it to the TC via sky bridge, but I forgot that he wanted the practice facility to be a mix use entertainment venue as well.