1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets have possibly the WORST practice facility in the league.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sure I wouldn't complain about catered lunches at work if they offered salad only 3 out of 5 days (true story), but unless it's as bad as the Y or a broken down 24 hr fitness (dry heaves), people on here just looking for something to b**** at.

Stephen_A likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did the practice facility make Trevor Ariza go 0 - 9 vs the Warriors in game 7?
    @Os Trigonum

Stephen_A and Salvy like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we talking 'bout practice facility. practice. practice facility.

Stephen_A likes this.
  4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Says who? 2 wins are worth 100M? Nah that aint worth it to me.
    Spoken like a tilman defender, it's his money not yours. He chooses to b fking cheap. U say practice facility can't be correlated to how much we win, yet u keep bringing up 2 wins too minimize the effect of a better training facility.
    And b4
    It isnt clear to me how spending 100M on a new practice hall hurts the team as the Rox were generally the best non GSW team even with the so called "crappy" practice facility in the past.

That was because we had an all time great. This is an exception where sheer talent can overcome crappy training facilities. Greats like kobe and others can practice anywhere and raise the ceiling of their mates, now we have rookies and tank commanders.

We as fans shouldn't give a fk if it cost the owner 1 mil or 300 mil, all I want is a brand new practice facility so our players can get better/improve efficiently.

Your words and phrasing already shows how much of a tilman defender u r.

HP3 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  5. Salvy

Salvy Member

Is our training facility why Harden could not improve/get better in the playoffs?

6. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

This is such a weird and mostly pointless thread. These aren't college athletes looking for shiny facilities as a reason to choose where to play ball.

These are professionals that will go where the most money is offered. And the Rockets will be able to offer Green a lot more than other teams after his rookie contract is up.

What's the point of preemptively b****ing about what an unproven rookie will possibly do because — GASP! — there are empty seats! Or the practice facility doesn't have a wheat grass juicer!

How else will these athletes survive with their tens of millions of dollars more than what other teams can pay them?!

THE HORROR!

Stephen_A, roslolian and Salvy like this.
  7. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yeah but, this tiny little pointless thing can then be used to push the Tilman hate narrative... Gotta think about the narrative man!!!!

HoustonWest and roslolian like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not being a tilman defender, I'm just being a rational human being. You are right it's Tilman's money not mine so what I want doesnt really have any impact on what he does. So what is the point of getting mad he didnt blow 200M for 2 crappy wins? Will getting mad change the way Tillman spends his cash? No. So really you can either accept that Tilman is like that or get mad. If I can see a direct correlation between winning and their practice facility then yeah ok I can get mad. But there is no correlation you dont even know or bother to find out what made those facilities so much more expensive.

The Rox had an all time great well GSW has an all time great right now how come their practice facility didnt prevent them from missing the plsyoffs? They had the best and most expensive practice facility in the league couldnt even make the playoffs.

So where is the correlation between winning and expensive practice facility? The reality is even the "worst" NBA practice facility is probably better than what Sengun had in Turkey. The Rockets arent exactly playing in a college gym with broken rings and dilapidated boards wtf. They still have courts and basic practice facility just like any multi billion sports company.

Like I said look up where those 100s of M are spent on man. Its on useless crap like bigger lockers, PS5s and Xboxes in the changing room, chaise lounges, multiple conference rooms. These **** wont directly affect player performance either way. Import wooden chairs and tables from amazon rain forest and get rugs from Macedonia boom thatd already 50M on the practice facility. Thats not something that will contribute to wins.

#208 roslolian, Aug 25, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]

UT's basketball facility. Being built already I believe.

UT endowment fund > Tilman ??

10. DonatelloLimestone

so you really feel in your heart that a bunch of people, hell majority of this board from old and new, all just need to hate one dude that we never heard of before he took over the rockets, that we roooted for because we thought we could only go up from Les with the new age of owners like the other ones, and literallly just post his own quotes of him lying to Rockets fans(but Tilman only apparently don't mind, lie to me pappa) and then we compare where the entire league is going and then even quote tilman himself saying our facilities are not competitive. andw then just feeling we're out to get him? its like people saying hardens defense and leadership sucks, basically being objective, and then me screaming you'r obsessed with him ,why should he improve his defense? No mybe bc the f'n team ran through him that we should look at the guy on top...likewise, maybe our entire budget and our transactions were embrassingly abotu saving tax and the guy lied to us fans about it

this is some strong victim culture in 2021, cmon @Salvy

11. DonatelloLimestone

do not compare other teams, hell even college campus teams to us! Do you know the cost risk analysis for such a thing? I don't care if pistons, spurs, suns do...I need to make sre the margins are right for tilman, me and my boys here came to make sure we defend the real victim in all this, the narrative victim....even those ****ing tigers tried to pull their SLY PR move in downtown houston to make my guy tilman look bad...its just a narrative....We've got to defend our dear leader...I mean tilman=Houston Rockets...so you better route for our team or you're not loyal, oh yea the players and coaches can suck and take it all, but the owner...hes off liimit, me @tinman @Salvy @roslolian are WAY too sensitive to take it when it comes to him. Let the innocent man live, let him save moeny and take us from 1 seed to bottom seed and run away anyone who had experience in our league, we don't need em...we just need Daniel thies and the real guys like that

peleincubus and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. DonatelloLimestone

You guys don't have to listen to the thread.

Listen to your boy himself in 2017, go think when year 7 is up for Jalen green, the money becomes more equal...thats when anthony davis and most guys ask out if youre team is offering the same money, but other ones have a culture of making everyhting nice as MANY players have been quoted that atmosphere, staff, facilities, recovery just make the experience nicer in this billion dollar league...maybe thats why cut throat business men all around the league are spending 100s of million for small markets and big markets....we have had the worst facilitiy for years.

Tilman mention it 2017: He just ha to quit talking overselling and under delivering(whoops, in before the tilman people demand financials from message board posters who came here to root for a baketball team, not the landry's organization)

“We do not have a proper training facility with what you need today to be competitive,” Fertitta said. “We only have a one-court practice facility. When there’s a concert or another event going on, they can’t use the other (arena) court. So, you’re down to this one tight court that you can’t even stand next to the wall. It’s bad.

“I’ve already been to other facilities and have seen they have better facilities."

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  13. DonatelloLimestone

Are you really missing the point

You guys really think this is about us wanting to make sure KMJ has celery juice or this is about athlete pampering?

This is a competition, we are competiting with the other franchises in this business that is growing wildly in money and infrastructure for talent, staff, and games.

So yes, they'll take the biggest contract, you're right. but hten the nba cap has limits on contracts...so say for green we can offer him considerably more until year 7...then most guys can compare and get similar money from a lot of places. We just saw a whole stable of people leave money on the table for houston.

So the small market teams, Spurs, Suns, Pistons, bucks...are all spending 100s of millions of facilities, culture, environment. the big market teams already havee. That gives them marginal edges, that draws talent of the best staff and plyers just like in any field. If the moeny is close ,and one environment is a blank check to do great things and attract and be your best, the other one is we're going to do our best on a budget. what do you choose?

If youre a gm and one guy says ill publicly make your job harder by going to the press, ill lie about my budget, but you have to follow it and then also you have to train my son and answer to a guy just out of college. The other team says heres a check, responsibilities on you, go F'n win. You dn't have to talk to my child every day. Which one will you choose?

if you walk in, nad recovery is so big in lonveifty and one has facilities, room, space, extra staff so you can work on your game and not worry abotu details and another has a court that the owner himself saind 2017 wasn't good enough to be competitive, where will you go?

Remember the cap, and look now at the playermovement lately, this isn't the 90s. We're going to fall behind and thats why other cut throat businessmen are investing there...and there are methods to do it to those who are 'creative' with tax codes and know that line of work. You can develeop in an opportunity zone and get a lot o incentives, don't forget he raises prices in a publcly funded toyota center that only he profits from, but we have cucks here who just still love to bend over for him. Its beyond me when they are rooting on whats worse for hte team under the prism of whats good for the owners, its only about 4/5 guys here thats it, but its comical to see owner only fans. Imagine in milaukee and golden state or anyone people screaming about hte tax bill and the poor victim owner. Yea slightly more spoiled than the poor victim players, but don't tell these 4/5 that.

So Saith Red likes this.
  14. Salvy

Salvy Member

[​IMG]

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  15. DonatelloLimestone

Any of us would feel lucky to play in the nba and I'm sure most players do
    this is just about comparative advantage and competition

We are not just competing with the other teams on tehcourt but we are compting for the most talented staff, execs, andpplayers. And with the nba economics most players and staff that are at the level will have multiple offers, and similar ones...then it comes down to infrastcuture, environment,competiton

you can see it as b****ing on a board

but are you saying Tilman himself is b****ing?

“We do not have a proper training facility with what you need today to be competitive,” Fertitta said. “We only have a one-court practice facility. When there’s a concert or another event going on, they can’t use the other (arena) court. So, you’re down to this one tight court that you can’t even stand next to the wall. It’s bad.

“I’ve already been to other facilities and have seen they have better facilities."
    2017 Tilman Fertitta...just b****ing, Amirte? @Salvy but then again, bill russel won 11 rings with cigars in his mouth while being a player coach...we should just have green as our coach and win 11 rings, 1+1=11, right?

16. fattz

fattz Member

Random thought. Rocky won the championship in one of the worst gyms ever. Even in a cooler at times hitting slabs of meat because of not having a gym. The gym didn’t make a difference. (I know it’s a movie)

Stephen_A likes this.
  17. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

This, its not about the reality, its about the perception. Real or not, certain owners have a reputation of doing anything and everything it takes to win. If that means dropping $100 million on a state-of-the-art facility, so be it. Tilman doesn't have the chops in the NBA to get the reputation of a cheap owner and until we actually start winning, not having these ancillary benefits is going to hurt us.

Does that mean it makes us less attractive than say, an Indiana (facilities or no facilities)? Not necessarily but on the margins when a lot of other factors are equal for players, these little things matter.

18. DonatelloLimestone

Exactly. I'm not sure why these dudes are stiting here defending something thatfrankly is becoming industry standard, that means you look at your job and all the other ones at that level have improvements ndconveniences, so if the salary is the same, the talent is going to chose the environment that isn't conductive towards growth,comfort, or whatever draws. There are reasons these cut throat billionaires cater to their stars, because they generate the revenue...go look back in hakeem...The plane went on his schedule, not the rest of the team, that means when he decided to go.

And now the player power and improvement is only growing, we can see the signs and adjust. or we can...i guess cheer on savings for one dude. I'll let you decide which one helps the rockets draw talent, keep talent, and which one helps one guy.

You can hear the players, agnets saying it. And they are only getting more clout and its becoming industry standard...otherwise teams WAY smaller markets like spurs, suns, bucks,pistons wouldn't be doing it and if we don't now that they have, we just get known as that cheap franchise like the dude below. This is Culture/environment, not taking the mike blaming and deflecting everyone else. you guys go on and get a new boss, even if you love your work, who just made it about his own dollar and cents while no other comparative businesses are doing it that low and see how great you feel to or want to bolt.

"
    "Griffin then goes on to talk about how things have changed since Steve Ballmer bought the team.

“Ballmer wants to win no matter the cost,” Griffin wrote. “Donald Sterling didn’t care if we won — at least if it meant he had to spend money. It wasn’t just about spending money on players. For years, our training staff wanted to buy this sophisticated computer software that would let them scan our bodies and keep track of our progress throughout the season. Sterling wouldn’t sign off on it.

“When I walked into the training facility for the first time this summer, the entire vibe was different. People were smiling. From the security people to the game operations staff to the office staff, everybody seemed happy to be there. For the first time ever, they were on permanent contracts. Under Sterling, all the staff were on temporary contracts. Top to bottom, everybody just appreciates being appreciated now."

"'I educated [Davis] on why I thought the team wouldn't be . . . ' He paused. 'All athletes are competitive and confident, until reality sets in. And I educated him on things.'"

Paul laid out what superstars need to see from teams to give a long-term commitment.

"You either need your team in place, or you need flexibility, assets, money, and the ability to make decisions. And, more important, the willingness to pay the [luxury] tax ... This ain't 'Moneyball.'"

Paul was referring to a team either being ready to compete, having future flexibility to improve the team, and being willing to pay the so-called luxury tax for spending over the salary cap. According to Chotiner, the Pelicans were not willing to pay it at the time and thus kept their payroll below a certai
    n level."​

19. DonatelloLimestone

Why stop there?
    WE should rename to theHouston Spartans and go all the way. We shouldadvertise we don't have a weight room, we have a large ****ing tire and cold meat hanging so you can be great like Rocky. You know, real pick up the bootstraps stuff

We should allow cigarettes and weed in lockerroom instead of therapist and recovery expenses and just tell them bill russel won 11 rings this way, can't you just pick up your bootstraps and win like a champion.

We should send our guys to rio and play on an outdoor court, really toughen up these softies....

Can't wait till Jalen Green resigns with us then.

I kid, but the people defending this when even small market poorer owners are doing this cant accept the industry standard basically are saying their agenda/goalpoint is tilman's margins and safety, hes the only one benefiting of this. I guess we can goto bucks,spurs, and suns forums and hear them say man, these investments in 100s of millions for our facilities aren't prudent for our small market owners, I hate this and I just hope he still can buy the newest rolls royce next year....thats what I put my head and rest on...smh.

fattz and majicdonjuan like this.
  20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

where is the correlation between winning and expensive practice facility

Look at the fking olympics. First world country medals more, hmmm I wonder y. It's bc they are fking willing to Invest in training facilities while third countries have more pressing matters. Y the fk would every well known college basketball school invest millions in building practice facilities.

Better training, better equipment will lead to more efficient training which can lead to more wins. Too much common sense, but u keep bringing up the gsw as reason y we shouldn't build one. Maybe if we had a harden, then it could compensate for our shtty practice facility