1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets have landed James Harden!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 27, 2012.

?

The Rockets landed James Harden for K-Mart, Lamb + draft picks. Do you like the move?

1. YES

1,287 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. NO

215 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. DreamRoxCoogFan

Yeah but only OKC could offer that and he still ended up getting more money from them than any other team could offer. Not really a sacrifice in my book. Plus they overpaid Perkins (bad move) and maxed Ibaka (questionable decision).

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Grantland: A look at Oklahoma City's trade of James Harden to the Houston Rockets

Most of it on the Thunder but a small portion on the Rockets.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

FYI: Vegas has us going from 30.5 wins to 33.5 wins after the trade. I'd take the over on that, but Lotto still in full effect; which is fine by me for one more season.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They aren't re-signing Martin(unless it is for a sizeable paycut) and wanted Lamb long-term as Harden's replacement on the cheap.

With Ibaka/Perkins/Collison and now PJIII, they didn't necesarily need a PF, even if it would have been better from our end.

#1644 juicystream, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He's a great GM and I'd love to have him as our GM too. But every GM makes mistakes.

6. DreamRoxCoogFan

I respect him for the move. He made his philosophy and stuck to it. Cap flexibility is huge in the NBA and if he gave Harden the deal he wanted, it would have left OKC with no room to find a supporting cast- 4 guys can only take you so far. Presti can (and should) be criticized for the Perkins deal and Ibaka deal that put them in this position in the first place. But once he realized that Harden wasn't going to come to his terms, he made a trade well before rumors started and got a great deal for Harden. Orlando could learn a lesson from OKC. The longer you wait, the less leverage you have to make a deal with other teams. While OKC isn't a better team without Harden, they are certainly in a better place than if the contract discussions continued through the season and the situation became a distraction on a contending team.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Put down the crack pipe and check yourself into some rehab. And while your at it, actually take in a basketball game or two so you will have a clue about the game. Harden can't creat hit a jump shot off the dribble, can't drive to the rim and can't pass :rolleyes:, really? You just named three of his primary strengths. Congratulations on the dumb ass post of the year, DD would be proud of you.

2 people like this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

agree, also what westbrook brings to the table can be more easily replaced by a number of other PG's in the league....whereas harden has a truly unique skillsket at a time when elite SG's are scare

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm not sure jump shot off the dribble is a strength for Harden. I usually see him taking open jumpers or getting to the rim.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

his handles and ability to shoot off the dribble are literally off the charts...

it's just his mediocre first step off the dribble and inability to rise up above the defender for the shot that makes him ineffective in certain matchups (ie. against miami)

11. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Just when we thought the interest of this season was drowning:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Very well said. OKC is looking to win a championship now and the amount of chips that Morey was offering Presti had to play a factor in moving Harden as fast as he did. The possible distraction and chemistry break up from a midseason trade was averted. Presti has picked up some very valuable assets from Houston and should make another big move.

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Jopa I totally agree with you on every GM making mistakes, but he recieved a kings ransom from Houston for Harden and he's got some serious assets to put a package together for a big time player. OKC would be scary if they were able to aquire a low post player who could score off the block.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

All true. I think the trade was a mistake from my perspective because:

1. I believe Harden is a better player than Westbrook;

and

2. I believe Westbrook would have brought more in trade than the king's ransom they supposedly got for Harden.

15. Grigori

Grigori Member

Grantland needs to do their research.

"Kyle Lowry (the price for the Raptors pick) and Chase Budinger (the price for the pick that became Lamb)."

Houston got the Lamb pick from the Dalembert trade.

So, in the end:

Lowry + Dalembert + Lee + Hill + Landry = Harden

16. onreego

onreego Member

This is ridiculous. I can't believe this crap. Why the hell did Morey do this...without changing the jerseys first. I hope they do a red and yellow throwback. Weren't the pajamas potentially making a showing this season?

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Ultimately OKC chose Westbrook over Harden. They could have 2 and they had 3. Obviously Durant stays so it was up to OKC to make a choice.

I think this was the mistake that Presti and OKC made, and they will regret it. Glad Morey was there to suck it up and fleece them. Good move overall by morey and glad that we have a GM and owner that continue to try to work all angles.

I'm a believer

IN MOREY WE TRUST

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol I can't believe Stephen A agreed with this trade.

As in, it's not terrible for the Rockets. I was fully expecting. "They are going to overpay for this guy." Stephen A said that Harden deserves whatever he can get because he can ball.

He also made a point that it's going to suck going from Houston to OKC for guys like Lamb and Martin, although he was joking about that it seemed.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

14th pick. It is our destiny.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

They are both great GMs.

The big difference is that the Blazers drafted Oden instead of Durant.