1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets fired their social media manager today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 29, 2015.

1. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Exactly. I'm sure the guy thought twice about the tweet and proceeded. Either way. Poor judgement is exactly the term that sums this whole thing up.

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Clearly Chad wants to disprove the animal cruelty charges

[​IMG]

He is going to profit endlessly off of this. Good for Chad.

3. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Again, don't think it should have resulted in a termination.

4. MD_in_Training

Isn't it the same on both sides? Push for actions which benefit their interests at the time, then complain when the same actions no longer benefit their interests?

5. Nero

Nero Member

I have no need to provide support for something which is self-evident. Unless you are seriously attempting to claim that you believe the tweet in question WAS 'professional, exemplary, classy and gracious'?

Besides, I don't know why you are demanding of ME that I explain it - I am not the one who fired the guy. I just UNDERSTAND why they did it, as do numerous other people as well. Apparently you don't - maybe you should ask Les Alexander what those things mean - I'm sure he could patiently explain to you why that tweet was none of those things.

I bet Chad Shanks could too, now.

Look, I hate seeing anyone lose their job. I was not calling for the guy to get fired.. I hoped that it would just be a reprimand or a suspension or something. It's sad and a shame that the guy had to lose his job, but I UNDERSTAND why they did it. He should have known better. Heck, it looked to me like a 'drunk post'.

In any case, the only thing which is pointless is you harassing ME about it. Continue carrying-on about it if you want, but I won't even be looking.

6. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

HA!

GOT EEMM

7. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

You said yourself. This story overshadowed rockets domination over mavs in series. As a PR manager u cannot post tweets which overshadow it.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Oh bull****.

Say anything that doesn't promote American exceptionalism and here come the bands of conservatives that will demand you be hung for treason or for you to leave the country.

There are roving mobs for both sides, they just come out for different reasons.
    Don't turn this into a political issue, we are in the GARM. :(

#268 RedRedemption, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Rockets fired their social media guy because he did something funny that went viral.</p>&mdash; Sonny Bunch (@SonnyBunch) <a href="https://twitter.com/SonnyBunch/status/593526408812498946">April 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  10. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Its funny that you have "Bring Back Calvin" in your sig.

Obviously the Rockets had to let him go due to the child abuse allegations, and he is now back with the organization, thankfully.

So how can child abuse and twitter emoticons even be in the same realm?

Child Abuse Allegations out weigh twitter emotions 1 billion to 1, in my book.

Chad should have never been fired, maybe suspended, fired no.

1 person likes this.
  11. MD_in_Training

You're missing my point completely. I'm not arguing whether or not it was professional, or whatever other word you can attribute to it. I was challenging your response to my post, when I asked "who was actually offended," to which you stated that it wasn't about offending. I challenge that it isn't about offending, because it is. The very nature and contextual meaning of the words you used are nothing but derivatives of the emotion of "being offended." Something that isn't professional is by nature "offensive" to a person or group of people - that is the underlying connotation and assumption.

Now I'm seeing by the responses here that approximately 10% of people did find the tweet offensive. Whether or not that necessitates termination of employment is a different argument altogether.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

I've kinda made my name so to speak, even though many don't know who I am, with the Rockets twitter account by being more edgy and pushing the envelope a little bit and trying to be funny.

It was heat of the moment. My emotions got the best of me. I didn't see how it would offend so many or get people upset. That was my mistake. I should have thought that through better.

People who were upset, saying I advocated violence towards animals, it wasn't what I meant at all. It was a jab at taking out the Mavericks. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Sorry it ended this way but loved every moment and no hard feelings towards them.

Rockets have not responded to a request for comment.

Total [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Morey is the highest profile front office executive for the Houston Rockets. When he speaks, he speaks for the Rockets. He got a pass for an incredibly inappropriate tweet and the lowly Twitter guy gets fired. It's a pathetic double standard.

1 person likes this.
  14. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

How is a gun suppose to hurt the severed head of a horse?

15. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Your just not seeing the point... This guys job is to represent the organization that is his only job. It's not that he is getting fired because of the tweet, he is getting fired because when you are in public relations you just have to be smarter than that. If he doesn't see why his tweet was wrong than he will probably do something like it again and so they had to let him go.

16. frontline94

frontline94 Member

the problem with your post is it almost implictly justifies his firing... which he did not... while i for one didnt care for the post either way (i found it hilarious but didnt think this was a damn moral issue), no one should be able to justify his firing.... c'mon, dont go on and try this argument

17. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Quick Draw McGraw

[​IMG]

18. cz4ever

cz4ever Member

Wow. That's a ridiculous response by the Rockets. Sure, the joke was slightly offensive, but well within bounds of a team rivalry. Funny use of emoji. Certainly nothing that warranted a firing, even if you expect the official social media feeds to be pretty generic rah rah.

Bad move Les/Morey/Rockets. :confused::confused::confused:

19. Garner

Garner Member

Really disappointed in the Rockets organization.

They were emojis. No horses were harmed. It was about sports.

The high moral emoji police need to stop looking for reasons to be offended.

20. frontline94

frontline94 Member