1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets could block themselves from acquiring Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theDude, Aug 9, 2012.

1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot has been made of Dwight Howard’s friendship with Josh Smith and how the pairing of the two on the Rockets could help secure Howard re-signing. That theory is presented here in regards to a potential Howard signing in Atlanta:

It seems that while all three of Howard, Smith and Morrow will be free agents next summer, Atlanta should have the cap room to sign all three. And because of the players they already have in Atlanta, it appears to be more plausible that he would sign there over Houston or Dallas. All the more reason that Houston sees it as imperative that they trade for Howard in order to retain his Bird rights rather than simply making a pitch in free agency.

The signing of Lin helps the Rockets in a big way in the retention of Howard should they land him. Lin is a marketable player with a high profile. While Dallas and Atlanta should be very good teams, they aren’t newsworthy teams. Lin’s time in New York made him a nationally recognized name and someone that the media will be following. If he is not on a very good team, interest will eventually wane. However, a team with Dwight and Lin on it is going to get a lot of coverage and be extremely visible (though they would still likely need to add an additional piece). A lot of wins and a trip to the playoffs will be all that’s needed to show that Houston can still be a desirable team.

Then there’s this…
    The interesting part about this is that Atlanta owns both Houston’s first and second round picks in 2013. And it looks as if the Rockets are unable to secure Howard, both of those picks will be very good. Additionally, Atlanta could throw in their own first or some other second round picks if, like the Rockets, they are confident they can convince him to re-sign in the offseason. The picks that Atlanta could possibly offer look to be as good or better than what Houston can offer. Matching salaries looks to be their big hurdle at this point. Al Horford would have to be included in a trade for Howard if the intent is to team him with Smith and Morrow. Horford is grossly overpaid (IMO) so it is tough to see the Magic wanting him. Beyond that, it doesn’t appear that the Hawks have the ability to take on the contracts that the Magic would want to dump, so that may also work in the Rockets favor.

So far, there has been no indication that the Hawks have been interested in trading for Howard, but the longer he is on the Magic, the more time there is for Atlanta to work a third team in that may be able to help complete the trade for them. The unfortunate thing for the Rockets in this scenario is that despite their acquisition of assets, it could be their own picks that end up blocking their chances at Dwight.

1 person likes this.
  2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Our pick is lotto protected, so the Hawks only get it if we make the playoffs. We aren't making the playoffs without Howard. As far as our 2nd rounder, it should be a worse pick than the 2nd rounder we have from Charlotte.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Our 2013 pick isn't lottery protected? :confused:

I'm pretty sure it is.

4. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

The first round pick is lottery protecyted. So if Houston does not make the playoffs, then the Rockets get to keep the pick I believe. The second round picks may still be in play, but with out a descent 1st round pick, I don't think it would be enough. You are definately correct that the longer this plays out, the better chance the Atlanta Fried Chickens have of getting a third team to buy in. Atlanta is in a better position I assume, because they have cap space, to absorb some contracts where as NYC, NJ, and LA do not.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The first rounder is lottery-protected.

Also, the second rounder is top-40 protected, meaning that the Rockets actually keep their second rounder if they finish with one of the league's ten worst records.

In no way, shape or form would those two picks combined compare with the first round pick the Rockets got from Toronto for Kyle Lowry.

6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I forgot that the 1st rounder would be lotto protected, so that definitely looks better fo rthe Rockets.

Atlanta's cap space going forward is similar to the Rockets. The thing that the Rockets have in their favor in relation to Atlanta is that Martin is an expiring contract and Horford is signed for an additional three years. The only alternative would be trading Josh Smith, but that goes against the rationale of pairing the two friends. There is still the possibility that Atlanta could do that in order to obtain Howard's Bird rights and then attempt to sign Smith back next summer. That's risky, though, as it would make Atlanta much weaker this season.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I'm curious, what realistic package could we offer for Dwight and then Josh Smith? And then what do we have left over? I hear people keep saying that we have enough to package for a 2nd tier star but I just don't see it. I mean, we're suppose to trade for Dwight and J Smkth, while keeping all our rookies? I just don't see it.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just another of many reasons why he will not come here.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We don't have a way to get a 2nd tier star. People here are just wishing that Morey can come up with something, but he won't.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Dude, stop trolling every Howard thread. It's getting old.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I knew one of you would come out to play. Tell me, how can we get a 2nd tier star here in enough time to keep Howard?

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Seconded.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I am sorry that the truth hurts.

14. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

how about enough of the Howard threads? They are getting old. :grin:

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

And, from what I see, the lottery protection doesn't diminish over the next few years either. If it did, Orlando could take it thinking they'd reap in a future year as the Rockets continue to suck. But, no, it stays lotto-protected until 2017, when it becomes a second-rounder.

16. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

The truth is...

You suck!

Go join Spurstalk with DD

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Regarding any potential trades, BT, what is the new CBA rule re: % of money to make a deal? Under cap, 150%? Over cap, 125%? Over lux threshold, 100%?

Thanks...x...

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Meh, bleacher report article.

19. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

The same repeated arguments will ensue.

Reasons why it makes sense for us to get him.
    Marketability, Top 3 player, He's bluffing about walking away, Dwight's as-is is better than the rookies' ceilings, Superstar-driven league

Reasons why we shouldn't
    Dwight is a Diva, potentially lingering back issues, keep the rookies at all costs, he might still walk away

Other posts
    Random trade proposals.
    Postbadlee making a fool out of himself.

1 person likes this.
  20. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

It's funny that people say he doesn't want to be here because "his people have leaked that he will only go to Dallas, LA, or NY".....yet people are so insistent on saying that he's willing to go to Atlanta when he has already supposedly said where he wants to go.

So why is the rumor mill "hear say" enough to claim "He HATES Houston! He doesn't want to be here" yet the same hear say rumor mill means nothing when it comes to him not wanting to play in Atlanta?