1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rocket's "Buzz"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LongTimeFan, Mar 11, 2004.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Has anyone else noticed this? Lately, whenever talking about the Rockets I just sense a sort of "buzz". Yes, the 4 game winning streak is obviously helping things, but the playoffs are getting closer and closer. I can't wait to be at the TC for the Rocket's first round series, hopefully the Houston fans will come alive and rally behind this team.

There is no atmosphere comparable to the playoffs, barring college march madness of course :) It also seems like our players respond to the "big" games - and with the playoffs every game is a big game. Even the ESPN analysts keep saying how no team wants to face the Rockets in the first round.

It just seems like, for the first time in a LONG time - the Rockets are popular and being talked about.

Anyone else feel this or getting as excited as I am?

2. Charvo

Charvo Member

Astros need to start tanking at the beginning of the season, and you'll see the Rockets fervor increasing.

3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

No, no. The Astros tank at the END of the season.

4. Summer Song Giver

I was going to start a new thread talking about how we are becoming a good team. In the past I would have not done this because I always knew a huge letdown was coming but even with the tough schedule coming up I don't see the demons of the past rearing their heads for awhile now. Things are good in Rocketland and it feels good to be a fan of this team.

This team is finally playing smart basketball and team basketball and as long as that continues I like our chances against anybody in the league. As long as we can stay out of that last spot in the playoffs and have to face Sacramento I think we are in for a good series with a real good chance to win.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm still not quite convinced. We have laid an egg it seems, every time we have played Memphis this year. This next game is pretty important. We should beat them just like we should have beat them earlier. If we don't, I don't see how we are gonna be consistently competitive in a 7 game series. If we win against Memphis, we may be making progess towards playing consistently. If we lose, I think we are headed for an early playoff exit.

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

The Astros tank AFTER the season!

7. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I was at a Crown & Anchor the other night (a bar in Austin), and usually there aren't any Rockets fans to speak of in public around here...but this time it was different. Over here, the Spurs and Mavs fans have always been the loudest since I moved to Austin; but this time when my friends and I tried to start sh** by loudly hyping the Rockets and bashing the other two teams at the bar, we quickly found that the riot we normally incite was just a big love-fest this time around.

Oh well, at least we still get to go down to San Antonio this May and blaspheme the Spurs at a bar on the Riverwalk.

8. denali_wjl

denali_wjl Member

Where's the bar on riverwalk? I also live in Austin and
    am interest to visit it.

9. notafaker

notafaker Member

actully you both right depending on who da manager is

10. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

I am not smoking but I do see Rockets going for the 5th spot...

:eek:

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

we usually go to the fox and the hound on wednesday for the dollar dos equis pints and we are generally pretty loud. if we aren't there then we're at the warehouse, a haven for idiotic spurs fans.

12. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I go to the Warehouse and it seems virtually all Spurs' fans - fewer Mav's fans than other places I've been. But there is a buzz about Yao in the air. It's mostly because a lot of people just like the guy, but also they seem to be assessing him the whole time. Where he is now? Where he's going to end up being.

I think it's cool especially after all the crap I heard at the beginning of last season. You now how it is when you find you really like someone that you've unmercifully trashed, you kind of root harder for him.

But I'll say this, the Spurs fans I have sparred with or talked to never seemed to think Yao was not going to be a great player. Something about Houston and centers I suppose. In general I've always had a hard time hating the Spurs and (most) of their fans. There seems to be an understood respect that Mavs fans have wet dreams about. I think that's pretty cool.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Most people who know me on a casual basis know that I'm a big Rockets fan. Lately, just about everyone has been coming up to me and saying, "Hey, the Rockets have been pretty great lately from what I hear." as if to congradulate me. :)

Hey, whatever gets them cheering for the Rox is ok by me.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Now that the playoffs are approaching, the Rox are starting to attract national buzz, particularly as a team that NOBODY wants to play in the first round.

NObody wants to play a team that plays tough defense, which amplifies itself in the playoffs, and nobody wants to play a team where you have to alter your entire gameplan to defend one player. Too bad the 5 game first round is gone.

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I really have to say, even though there's little chance of advancing to the second round, it feels so great heading into this stretch of the season knowing that we're going to the playoffs. It feels great having one of the game's most dominant centers again. It feels great seeing the team play brutal defense and knock down the open 3's. I'll be the first to point out this team's numerous flaws, but man it feels good to be going to the playoffs again.

16. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

thecabbage,

it doesn't feel good...

it feels GREAT.

Sam, I have been thinking the same thing, I wish we still had a 5 game 1st round series as I think we could easily stun any of the top 4 teams in 5 games. Although, I am still happy with 7 :D