1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets at the Medical Check/Media Day

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Oct 3, 2006.

Tags:
  1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well, I raised a thread a couple hours earlier, aimed to post photos, articles, interviews of the Rockets at the Media Day/Training Camp.

I found it deleted now.

But I have lots of photos, and interviews from the Chinese websites to post.

So, Clutch/Jeff, whoever, give me a break. Either let this thread stays or merge it with whatever Official Thread you have, as I could not find it yet.

2. pryuen

Yao Ming was the very firs player to arrive at the Memorial Hermann Hospital for the medical check. His medical check was the longest......and he also attracted the most number of reporters surrounding him afterwards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Dam i have been in that room. Was it only for monday or are they coming in today too. If they are then i might go and take some pics.

4. pryuen

Here are the photos of other Rockets at the hospital for the medical check.

Tracy McGrady was the last player to arrive for the check-up.

Bonzi Wells
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vassilis Spanoulis
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shane Battier
    [​IMG]

Juwan Howard
    [​IMG]

Mutombo
    [​IMG]

Rafer Alston
    [​IMG]

Scott Padgett
    [​IMG]

Tracy McGrady
    [​IMG]

5. pryuen

These are the photos for the medical check at the hospital. Unlike previous years, the medical check was also open to the media.

6. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

thanks pryuen - another excellent contribution to the hallowed threads of clutchfans.

keep 'em coming.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

You gotta like this Spanoulis kid. Always looks like he needs a shave and a comb. It's like he is saying, hey I'm here to play not look pretty like Tony Parker.

8. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

Is it me or does Bonzi look a little overweight? Oh well for $2 million I'm not going to complain.

9. Manila

Manila Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_report_to_camp_with_We-190555-34.html?rss=true

Monday October 2, 2006 8:34 PM

Reporting Day
    Rockets report to camp with Western Conference title race in mind

Rafer Alston and Yao Ming believe the Rockets can compete with the Spurs and Mavericks in the West.
    Camp : Wells signs | Mutombo mulls future

Damien Pierce
    Rockets.com Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- Despite being offered about a half-dozen opportunities to proclaim the Rockets among the Western Conference's elite teams, Shane Battier didn't take the bait on Monday morning.

He wasn't quite ready to dismiss the rest of the conference.

"I'd be a happier guy in the Eastern Conference," Battier said. "We need to form an identity because the margin for error in Western Conference is so small. We have to play well every night and once we create that habit, then we can set our sights on Dallas, San Antonio and the other teams in the conference."

Battier might be right, but he'll have a hard time keeping everyone else's expectations for the Rockets in check.

Despite coming off a 34-win season, the Rockets reported to training camp Monday as a sudden favorite to contend in the Western Conference title race.

Houston, which had 19 players undergo physicals at Memorial Hermann-HBU Wellness Center Monday, has the potential for a major turnaround from last season's last place finish in the Southwest Division after a busy offseason.

Besides acquiring physical swingman Bonzi Wells and Battier in the offseason, the Rockets return one of the NBA's best -- and currently healthy -- duos in Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. Houston was 21-10 when both were in the lineup last season.

The Rockets, of course, need their two primary stars to remain healthy with their new collection of complimentary players to challenge the Phoenix Suns, Dallas Mavericks and San Antonio Spurs in what should be a loaded Western Conference title race.

But if Yao and McGrady remain on the floor, the Rockets could compete with the best of the West.

"We have a great chance to have a great team," power forward Juwan Howard said. "I know we haven't even started training camp, but we have a team that can make a run for an NBA title."

The Rockets still certainly have some obstacles.

Besides playing in one of the toughest divisions in the NBA, Houston has to find a way to divide minutes and shots among its stars and needs some of its younger players to develop the desired depth needed to make a postseason run.

The Rockets are also hoping they have enough depth to remain in the playoff picture if one or more of their stars misses significant time. Overall, Houston is 1-8 when both McGrady and Yao are out of the lineup.

"The health issue is going to be the big question," point guard Rafer Alston said. "We can't struggle again if guys are out of the lineup. We do have more depth, but we've still got to make open shots."

The addition of Wells and Battier should make a major difference.

Wells offers a third proven scorer who can shoulder the load if either Yao or McGrady is out of the lineup and Battier provides the intangibles that the Rockets have been missing in the past. He is one of the game's best defenders and is a consistent shooter.

"We have a great group of guys with wonderful work ethics," reserve center Dikembe Mutombo said. "I have a lot of respect for Shane because he is such an intelligent player and Bonzi is a very hard worker who puts up numbers. Coach Jeff Van Gundy is going to be so happy with this team."

Battier and others still need to wait and see before declaring the Rockets among the top teams in the conference and rightfully so.

Still, the potential is there for a promising run.

"We have more bodies than the team had last season, so that helps," Battier said. "But there aren't any nights off in the Western Conference. The good news is that we have a lot of potential."

10. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

nah, he looks fine. He's always been a stumpy fellow.

McGrady has the forearms tatted up i see.

11. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

ummmm... are those sunglasses in his right hand? :eek:

12. qrui

qrui Member

no. but he always looks like he's hiding something. :D

13. kingkow

kingkow Member

14. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

he's in the bulking phase of his workout routine :p :D

15. johnkamla

johnkamla Contributing Member

TMac looks lean and mean.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He looks very overweight to me, but it's just training camp.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Sensitive much? You're welcome to post articles, pictures, etc., but the "Official Thread for Media Day/Training Camp" for all "news, articles, interviews, clips and photos" was too broad for my tastes. That thread also had nothing in it -- just said "maybe we have this thread -- What do you guys think ??"

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Bonzi looks chubby...then again, that never stopped Barkley from playing well.

19. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Yeah maybe we should have just one thread and call it GARM. Everyone must posts all topics under that :) hehehe

20. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

He's always had the "fat boy" syndrome... If you've ever seen so much as a vein in his arm anytime during his career, let me know. ;)

Glenn Robinson-esque IMO...