1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets are what we thought they were...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston288South, Jan 23, 2013.

1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

We have a top 5 scorer, who gets the opposition to send him to the foul line 10 times a game.

We have what is essentially a rookie point guard who is being played out of position and away from his strengths averaging 12p 6a tops in steals along with Harden who is also top 10 in steals

We have Asik averaging a solid Double Double, and playing above expectations of many.

Chandler Parsons game has grown.

Delfino is Delfino.

Greg Smith has shown that he has a future.

Patrick Beverly looks pretty good in such a small sample size.

When Mook can hit his open three's, the team does well.

Pat still has the prettiest mid range jumpshot, and is hitting his threes.

We are under the cap.

All in all we are looking pretty good for the future...yes I'm angry at our loses, but looking at the bigger picture, we are exceeding expectations at the moment, and all looks well for the next few seasons.

2. Penetrate&Creat

yeah, i lol'd so hard when I read that Harden said that.

Expectations went from playoff contenders to WE BEAT THE BOBCATS AWW YEAH

3. AbrahamLincoln

The problem with what your saying is that I disagree that players as young as ours should be playing the certain ways you allude to. Lin hasn't played a full season in the NBA and people think he has no business being by the 3pt line or off the ball. They think because he played well in NY on the ball that he should always have the ball. Harden has to develop into a closer and play maker. This teams players are so young that to pigeon hole them into a role you have only seen in a limited fashion just seems wrong to me. These are developing players. This is about the long haul, not 2012-2013. This seasons goals are to make Lin more of a threat off the ball and a better shooter. To let Harden develop and become better at beating double teams, to learn to close games and for both to stop turning the ball over and get better at making decisions. Our development of players has been good. Morris,Smith,Parsons have all been developed by the rockets coaching staff. Lowry was as well.
    I have some faith that this season is going to set the table for the next few years. Harden,Lin and Asik will become much better players because of the experience they are getting now. The some of the glaring problems for the coaching staff I see is playing time vs rest, some of the substitutions and McHale could be a little more timely with his timeouts. I think Harden and Asik are going to be pretty beat up by the end of the season.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Since when did the Rockets become a serious threat? We're the youngest team in the league, and you think we're gonna be a serious threat?

The reality is everyone thought this team would be one of the worst teams in the league preseason, even when Harden arrived everybody just said they'd be picking in the 5-10 range instead of 1-5. Now we're at the exact mark as last year except with a much younger and more talented squad. I think the Rox were better than everybody thought they were, tbh. Everybody just likes to be a wise ass and use 20/20 hindsight.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

"young teams get better not worse"

do you even watch basketball

crazy ups and downs are what defines a young and inexperienced team

6. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

Youre right! They are exactly who I thought they were.

A young team growing together through the struggles, No expectations of being a contender this season.

Don't tell me you seriously thought we'd make a push for Rings this season? God, some of the threads in the GARM when the team is losing or winning.

7. eman

eman Contributing Member

I'm not saying tank, but let's rest the starters a bit, have them come off the bench against opponents' second units. Shake things up. Develop the youngsters. Start Bev, Douglas, Anderson, Moti (or TJ, whichever is up this week), and Smith. What do we have to lose?

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I think the reasoning behind never taking mid range jumpers is a testament to this. Every single high school and college coach in the world will tell you that a mid range game will take you to the next level because it makes the rest of the game much easier.

However, I think Morey has the mindset needed to infuse others experience with his stats. Hell, I think a set of stats could be devised to find out just how much a midrange game helps the outside and inside game. Combining experience at basketball and statistics is the way of the future, not one over ruling the other.

9. Houston288South

Exactly! This is where we are failing to improve. To this point, It's almost a repeat of last season. Last year, KMart was in the doghouse and now it appears Lin is there now...

10. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

I like your attitude. I'd like to add that they seem to be a nice group of guys, clean players. I hope one day they will look back at this time and smile.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

OMG! We've got to find a way to stop these idiot threads....

They all seem to be coming from posters that joined from 2010 and up. Maybe there's a way to block ALL of their thread starting privileges.

This is beyond ridiculous.

12. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

If you send the starters home, you get slapped with a fine by Stern like the Spurs did. :grin:

13. Nook

Nook Member

Huh?

The saying is actually: "At some point you stop blaming the coach and blame the players."

14. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

22-22. Record don't lie!

15. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

We've been a bad team for 3 years what made anything different this year? We got a player in Harden but overall got worse by going young (which is better in the long run)

16. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Lowry
    Harden
    Parsons
    Scola
    Asik
    Would have liked to see this line up.