1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets are not a mediocre team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Feb 8, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think this forum has a hard time grasping the meaning and connotation of the word "mediocre", so I wanted to clarify this point to scratch my own pet peeve.

Merriam-Webster, GO!

Let me help you out a little more here. The key part here is that phrase at the beginning: moderate or low. Meaning average to below average. Furthermore, I will add that the connotation of the word (what it means in common parlance beyond the dictionary definition) is negative--people tend to think of it more toward the "below average" end of the spectrum.

To pull this back around to being relevant to the Rockets: The Rockets are not an average to below average team. They have been consistently above that range in recent seasons, even when dealing with crushing injuries. Indeed, the Rockets have not had a season at or below .500 (dead average among NBA teams) since 2005-2006.

What is not included in the definition of mediocre is "above average", even if only slightly above average. Mediocrity by definition leans away from that, especially when you factor in its negative connotation.

One unfortunate factor which has hurt the Rockets is that they play in an absolutely stacked conference. Yet, despite the fact that they more often play good teams, they have managed to consistently have a win/loss percentage above the average win/loss percentage of an NBA team.

2 people like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

IMO, 2 years in the lottery, and likely a 3rd coming up, means we can not and should not be considered anything better than "mediocre".

3. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

mod·er·ate/ˈmäd(ə)rət/
    Adjective:
    Average in amount, intensity, quality, or degree.

The rockets are average in quality/amount/intensity, therefore they are mediocre. 14th pick is mediocre; IF they were in the east last season, they would still have been at the bottom. That's average. Not above average.

4. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Agreed. The current Rockets team is a GOOD team not a mediocre team.

5. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Incorrect. If they had been in the East last season, they would have been the 5th seed. That is not "at the bottom." I am not saying it is great, but it is better than 'average'.

6. thething

thething Contributing Member

Two years ago, we won 42 games. Last year we won 43 games.

42 or 43 wins is right about average. That fits the definition of mediocre.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

The phrase used is "moderate or low", and it's important to remember that. That "or low" descriptor is there for a reason and you can't ignore it. Connotation is also an important part of language, and the connotation of the word mediocre is undeniably negative.

@durvasa: The Rockets have only barely wound up in the lottery and would have been easily in the playoffs in the East. It's not the team's fault that it plays in the absolutely-stacked half of the league. Actually, if the two conferences were dead even, the Rockets would still have been in the playoffs both of the last two seasons.

8. durvasa

But the Rockets aren't in the East, so that doesn't matter. Teams should be judged by their performance relative to their competition.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

In the NBA, every team plays every other team. You know that, right? It's absolutely reasonable to call the entirety of the NBA our "competition".

1 person likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly how I feel.

DD

11. inishi

inishi Member

The rockets are the definition of mediocre. Average to below average, I dont get it.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

What part of "having a winning record is above average" is hard to understand?

13. Remix

Remix Member

Because you are taking everything to literal. 41-41, 40-42, 42-40, 43-40, 39-43 are all mediocre which is exactly what the Rockets have been the last 2 years and seem to be headed for a 3rd straight year.

14. highstep

highstep Member

I don't care what the definition is. We are not getting any better and more importantly we are not getting any worse.

brb 14th pick
    brb so so draft choice
    brb staying the same and not drastically shifting in either direction

15. deshen

deshen Member

agree 100%

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

There are 30 teams in the league. 16 make the playoffs and 14 do not. By Websters definition we are mediocre. By your definition we are not. You can change Websters definition to whatever you want but then it becomes your definition and not reality. In reality we are a team that borders on missing the playoffs for the third straight year. And in addition our prospects for improving look pretty dim. I have come to the acceptance that I will never witness another Rockets championship in my lifetime. And I do not care what you call that, it is pretty sad to me.

2 people like this.
  17. durvasa

On a game-by-game basis, yes we are competing against teams from both Conferences.

However, we play teams in the West more than twice as often as teams in the East, as do other WC teams. Our schedule is much closer to that of other WC teams than it is to that of other EC teams. Teams with similar schedule strengths are effectively competing against each other for a playoff spot -- the WC teams being in one group, and the EC teams being in another. Therefore, from this standpoint, our competition is the West Conference (slightly weighted to our Division).

18. inishi

inishi Member

Thank you, thread closed.

19. daernoth

daernoth Member

Whatever the definition, I don't consider the Rockets to be mediocre. I guess I'm just a glass half-full kind of person. :p

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

If anything, this makes us closer to above average among the NBA as a whole. Our strength of schedule is harder than the average NBA team, and we still manage to consistently win more than we lose.