1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets are making the 3rd highest profit in the NBA ($40.7 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ICanDunkOnYao, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The article refers to "basketball operations" when quoting figures. I assume there is revenue outside of basketball operations?

And for most owners, basketball operations profits seem like an afterthought it's probably
    1. vanity 2. exposure and networking for other businesses 3. Tax effects (expense writeoffs?, like paying for the company plane) 4. long term capital gains, possibly even for estate value.

How many Asian bond deals do you think Les has worked by owning the Rockets? It's all about trust and relationships.

2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I think this just about sums it up. Morey doesn't overspend on players and puts a very entertaining and good squad on the floor. Then you have GMs like Billy King that have no clue what they are doing.

3. howardsucks

howardsucks Member

Kevin Durant to Houston Rockets.

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Leslie needs to start investing some of that money into some new jerseys, a new logo and some good secondary logos ;)

5. Allegro

Allegro Member

Asian bucks

I wonder how much Jeremy Lin is to thank for the Rockets' big profit this year. Has Les ever revealed the magnitude of those Asian sponsorship deals?

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Most likely very very little.

I tried to look up 'Rockets profits by year' and had very little success in getting accurate answers (quoting the same year, different sites reported different amounts) - but one thing that was clear was that the Rockets have been making around $30m in profit (give or take $10m) per year for a long time.

I say Lin has little (to no) effect on the bottom line since Forbes lists the overall revenue the following way (http://www.forbes.com/teams/houston-rockets/)

2009 $156m
    2010 $160m
    2011 $153m (Ming retires)
    2012 $150m
    2013 $135m (Lin's first year)
    2014 $191m (2 superstars = ca$h)

As you can see, the revenue peaked during the 'Ming years' in 2010, and was dwindling after his retirement. One might reasonably expect there to have been some 'Ming money' that lasted through 2012.

Lin didn't bring the big dollars in, it would appear they came with the 'superstar' tandem.

Unsurprisingly the bottom line isn't 'all about Lin' - it may or may not help Les with some sponsorship $$ from overseas, but if that money was the 'make or break' for profitability, then one would reasonably have expected the Rockets to run as the highest revenue team during the Ming era. They didn't!

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

alright Les. Lets see how much weight your words have in the next couple of days.

8. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Yea .

2 people like this.
  9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I hate that you were right, but gotta rep it.

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Thanks, but I didn't really predict anything groundbreaking tbh. We all know Les inherited a great team, and have seen what he has done when he needs to build one from scratch.

11. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Raise your hand if you didn't know that Les " money the better" Alexander was cheap

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

cheapest and poorest owner

13. Tdugs710

Tdugs710 Member

He may or may not be cheap, but matching Parsons at 15mil caps us out with a good not great team that has no flexibility for the future. I'm disappointed in what has happened, but I don't know if it is because the guy is cheap.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Go to the thread where he promised to sign a terrific free agent. That would be Ariza. :rolleyes:

Or he might be the right owner for this team.

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Les showing his true colors.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Houston fans, are highly disappointing.

You aren't winning a championship with James Harden and Chandler Parsons starting.

No defense=no championship.

Parsons was every bit as clueless as Harden was.

17. Raven

Raven Member

He's absolutely been exposed, and the cap flexibility excuse is laughable.

18. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Are we talking about the same owner who was going to pay four max contracts until Bosh ****ed us?

If you want to root for a team owned by someone who spends cash like a drunken sailor then go follow the Knicks or Brooklyn. I would have preferred to match Parsons and hope the team could improve enough to be a serious contender, but Morey obviously didn't think that was going to happen.