1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets are better!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dkoune, Feb 5, 2020.

1. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Thursday night has still yet to come....ill keep tuning in

D-rock likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he was a harden stopper in 17-18 playoffs whats not to like?

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Unless Morey has a replacement lined up for Capela, the Rockets are not better after this trade. Are they deeper overall? Yes. But when Mike D'Antoni is your coach, depth is overrated because the dumbass won't utilize it.

The record with Capela(21-17) and without him(11-1) this season is notable, and I know Morey is a big numbers guy. But even if Capela suddenly became a bad fit once CP3 was replaced with Westbrook, that doesn't suddenly negate the need for things he brought to the table. In particular, rebounding and rim protection.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Everyone is clamoring for Rockets to get a cheap big either worked into this trade or on the buyout market, but I say let's go the other way. Just pick up another wing and lets take this to the logical extreme:

48 minutes of Guards and Forwards, all of whom can shoot 3's and switch everything.

No bigs allowed, not even stretch bigs. On defense we'll switch everything, try very hard against tall people, and everyone box out so harden and westbrook can grab rebounds. On offense it's bombs away and Russ drives.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

the bench now consists of rivers, eg, house, and bmac. they're already taking it to the logical extreme. all 4 guys who get minutes and who have been in and out of the starting lineup, and a lot of that had to do with the lack of a Covington esqe player

another big would be a welcome addition for situational play where size will be of help and to just have that option to go to if need be.

Adiano-Malko and Matt78777 like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

We are definitely better with Covi/Bell. Capela no longer fit. That being said, we need to recoup a big somehow because I don't think Bell is viable offensively.

D-rock likes this.
  9. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

I get that he’s getting paid. He’s overvalued in my opinion. What I’m talking about is his overall value to the team, his ability to spread the floor and knock down 3’s. If he only shoots 34% from beyond the arc, how much of an upgrade is he from some of the other players out there that can shoot at a higher clip. I can understand given up your starting center and rim protector plus a pick if your getting a really good wing player in return that can knock down 3’s. I don’t think Covington is that player. Just my opinion.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Tyson Chandler?

12. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Small ball will prevail!

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Heard a quote yesterday from MDA on the radio where he complained about the media pointing out the rebound differential the last few games.

He basically said it doesn’t matter how many more boards the other team gets it’s how many points off those extra boards that matter......

Uh doesn’t extra boards lead to extra opportunities which statistically will lead to more points?

This is our coach folks. Well for this year anyway.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

well this is assuming every single extra possession gotten results in actual points. it doesn't. so what he said wasn't exactly wrong

Handles likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

At least we brought in a player MDA will play so we don’t have to give max defensive effort
    Despite running a 7 man rotation

Small ball defense is all about us flying around and using our quickness and effort to its fullest advantage.

Unfortunately, imo this trade just shifted an even larger burden to PJ . Who we already needed to get some rest . Now pj has to play the 5 for the rest of the season and the only way our D is gonna be good is if everyone is putting in max effort ..... I see a conflict.

I don’t so much mind the idea of going small on offense more . My biggest concern is on defense and on the load PJ has to carry.

That’s why we still need another front-court player . Unless we think MDA is gonna use Hartenstein for 15 min a game .

D-rock likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People keep talking about interior defense, but remember that AD and Jokic are going to have to defend the three point line, or James Harden. :D

They can try and postup James, Gordon, Tuck, Rob, Thabo as much as they want. Chuck Hayes effect all day and all night. Westbrook is going to feast on steals and rebounds.

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

But he can’t stop Harden now because they are on the same team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is only way to find out, watch him playing.

D-rock likes this.