1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets are back. Laker predictions!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ZRB, Dec 29, 2001.

1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Francis starts and out-plays Kobe. The Rockets pull off a close game in LA, sending them on their 20 game winning streak.

Rockets: 88
    Lakers: 83

The Rockets will finally get a fair chance to avenge that 98-97 heartbreaker in Houston.

There is no excuse for losing this game. If the Rockets without Steve only lost by six to the Lakers with Shaq, then the Rockets with Steve should be able to defeat the Lakers without Shaq. A loss is simply inexcusable.

2. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

I agree that the Rockets CAN beat the Shaqless Lakers. I don't know about 20, but the next 6 are certainly possible.

Hell, I'm sure we'd all take 4 of those 6.

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

The Lakers without Shaq are a completely different team. Alot of different guys step up in his absense. This will be a tough win, even with Steve back.

Go Rockets!

4. alley-oop

alley-oop Member

The key to this game is Cat vs Kobe!! I don't know if you noticed the duel these two have been having. All year it seems there is some sort of personal challeng between the two of them. Cat elavates his D on Kobe and has been pretty sucessful. Most of Kobe points came when Cat was not in the game. I've notice also that Kobe seems to play tougher D when Cat gets the ball. Francis will be a huge lift. Kobe will get his; lets not let any of his scrub teamates give superstar hero performaces. Rox play well against the Lakers and EG, Francis, and Mobes should be pumped.

Watch the game within the game Kobe vs CAT:D

5. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

These two will do their parts. It does not matter who wins that match-up. The game will be won by the supporting cast!

6. alley-oop

alley-oop Member

If one is able to shut down the other then it will have a huge effect on the game. Also if Cat can get Kobe into a personal duel and get him to forget about his teamates (even if Kobe go's for 45) then we will when.

7. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

There are three players that the Rockets must focus on shutting down: Horry, Fox, and Fisher. The rest of the Lakers are complete garbage. Obviously, I am assuming that Kobe will score 40. He certainly isn't garbage.

8. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Neither will shut the other down. Each will have off nights but both are too good. Your statement about 45 points actually implies the importance of the supporting cast. We are in an agreement but using different words.

9. alley-oop

alley-oop Member

I've been hearing alot about Kobe vs Shaq. They say Shaq would have won without Kobe but Kobe would not without Shaq. I know Shaq is the most dominant(big, hugest) player in the nba but he is not the best IMO. Kobe is more talented and if he had a team and a coach for him I think it could be tougher. With Shaq team D can be affective if there is no Kobe to burn you. Just wondering what you all thought.

10. The Voice of Reason

A good game

steve has shooting trouble as he tries a bit too hard and just isnt quite back to form yet.

Mobley continues hot ways and leads scoring, he and kobe match up all game making a sportcenter highlight reel on each other. Kobes jump shooting looks sharp again as he comes out of his slump.

both teams score over 100. rockets win close game

fox and fischer both have good nights,

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I personally believe that Shaq is the most dominant player in the league. I believe whatever team he is on would be the team most likely to win a championship. That is part due to him and part due to the lack of other legitimate centers. There are many players at other positions that are very good. For instance, Payton and Kidd at point guard, Kobe, Cat and many more at shooting guard, heck Mcgrady, Hill and Miller all on one team as small forwards and so many power forwards that I won't begin. However, there is only one dominant center.

I don't think it is a Shaq vs Kobe thing for me. Rather than asking if one was gone from the Lakers, I ask which player would add to another team the most. I believe you could add Shaq to any team and make them a contender, yup even the Bulls. I cannot say that about any other player except for maybe Duncan that can do the same.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The reason Shaq gets the nod imo, is defense. It doesnt matter how good a defensive guard you are, with so much of todays game going towards the basket, Shaq presence can be felt through blocks, altered shots, and changed plays in many more ways than Kobe's presence is felt by getting a few steals and playing tight perimeter D. FOr instance, no matter how good a defender Kobe is, Cuttino will probably be able to get a step on him on the majoirty of the plays. With Shaq back there, it doesnt matter, without him, it could be a layup drill.

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

The key is definitely Derek Fisher. We cannot allow Fisher to explode from 3-point land. It is imperative that Steve and Mooch guard him closely. It doesn't matter if Fisher goes around them; we've finally got our inside presence!

--------> EDDIE GRIFFIN

14. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Rockets win 104-91

Pull Away in the 4th. Kobe doesn't even get 20.

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Shaq is the most dominant for the obvious reason. If you ever see a laker game the 'key role players' the lakers have (fisher,fox horry) usually get most if not all their 3/jump shots off of shaq double teams. The man creates too many problems for the opponents defense. That is why the Lakers have been struggling of late. The other players on this team cannot create their own shot like Kobe can and rely on the pass out of the double team of Shaq. Shaq can win a ring without kobe as long as he has another player of his ability (T-mac, paul pierce) on his team. Kobe doesnt command as many double teams in the post and while he can score 40+ any given night he chooses I dont believe he is able to get the other players involved like Shaq does. Its the inside-outside offense that won us two rings in the mid-90s thats winning games for the lakers here, not Kobe's ability to take anyone off the dribble.

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The Franchise + rookies Griffin and Torres = Rocket win.

17. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Rocks win 100-95. It won't be an easy game like vj says. But the Rocks won't make it easy on themselves either. I predict they'll have a nice lead four minutes into the 4th, but then they'll let the Lakers catch up led by Kobe. However, they'll close it out.

I want the Rocks/Lakers series season to come to a draw. We can get these next two games. The first ones should've been ours anyway.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Last game Kobe put Cat on the bench in foul trouble and pretty much took him out the game on offense with his d. Cat isn't no where the player Kobe is on neither end of the floor. Kobe can always get a good shot on Cat because he just get to the foul line and jump over him. As long as Cat doesn't get outscored too bad we should be ok. With Shaq out the lineup we should attack the basket all night.

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

See Eddie Griffin;)

20. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

ZRB, don't forget to not tape the game. I'm counting on you. ;)