1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rocket Squad (Roster) is Impressive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

The Rockets have the best center in the league (MVP candidate), the best backup center in the league (top 10 center in the league), and the best 3rd string center in the league (one time Defensive player of the year).

The have a solid rotation of wing players, with an MVP candidate. Harden is a top 3 Shooting guard, and improving. Parson is on the cusp of NBA stardom. Garcia played overall great defense and was solid on offense last season (and he gave the Rockets a nice discount). Casspi and Williams are two guys who've shown in the past they can hit the three, and Morey must of crunched the numbers and probably thinks they can do it again for the Rockets this year.

At the ball handling, the Rockets have Lin, Beverly, Brooks, and Canaan. Lin and Brooks are proven veterans. Beverly showed last season he can be a defensive stop gap. And with the rave review about the Rockets getting the steal of the draft with Canaan, a Rocket fan can't help but be excited. One more thing, Brooks gives the Rockets roster flexibility too, because he can slide over to shooting guard, if the need ever arises.

Now the big question mark is power forward. The Rockets have 3 guys, and 2 of them are big question marks. Montiejunas and Jones both have a lot of talent, and both have different tools. If they can harness their skills, they can be mighty effective for the Rockets. Last season both had their moments, but both were also very inconsistent for stretches. It was good to hear the Donuts has put on some muscle, because he was being tossed around most of last season. Greg Smith is the least talented of all, but he is consistent. If for whatever reason Donuts and Jones prove not to be the answer, I think at team as talented as the Rockets could go with Greg Smith as their weakest link.

Center: Howard, Asik, Camby
    Power Forward: Jones, Montiejunas, Smith
    Small Forward: Parson, Casspi, Williams
    Shooting Guard: Harden, Garcia
    Point Guard: Lin, Beverly, Brooks, Canaan

I must say, that I am surprised more teams don't go with a format of 6 post players. 5 wings, and 4 ball handlers.

2. johnkamla

johnkamla Member

I agree. I'm totally comfortable rolling out this bunch. One of Jones and Motie will grow into a player if not both. It's exciting to have a title contender again!

3. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

I think it's generally agreed that the Power forward slot is our weakest position. This team would be very scary if any one of our young guys break out and start contributing consistently. This team can be really good and I'm hoping that we'll make some noise in the playoffs.

4. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Good post, and agreed.

This team has a lot of potential. I for one believe that we are okay at PF though. Jones and Motiejunas should both be just fine platooning there.

5. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Do you think Smith is more expendable now because of the Camby signing? Or there's just no connection between the two.

6. lwlee

lwlee Member

Rockets are very good but not yet elite.
    - Howard needs to capture Orlando glory days.
    - Harden needs to keep efficiency level high instead of dropping off big at the end of the season.
    - Need shooters to hit that 40% 3s%. Did a single shooter avg 40% last year? Nowadays, elite teams have to have those 40% 3s shooters. Hell Lebron did it last year.
    - Every one else on the Rockets needs to step up.

7. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

If Howard can return to form in his Orlando days when he carried them to the finals than I think we'd be in pretty good shape. He did a lot more with a lot less, well personally because I think this team is more talented than that 09?(correct me if I'm wrong) Orlando team.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I find it insane that we cleared all that cap space (including dumping bum ass Royce White) while still keeping our 2 best "prospects" in Jones and Motiejunas yet ALSO keeping all our future 1st and 2nd round picks.

I believe that position is our biggest question mark yet our biggest potential for improvement, with those 2 at the helm. You can tell T-Jones is developing from spending all that time in the D-League and honing his skills on his on time.

Motiejunas is hungry. You know he wants nothing more than to get better, the extra size will help but what I'll be looking for is for him to work on and refine his post footwork. It was nice last year and he showed some good moves but if he polishes those moves up to reach another level he will be beastly down low with his feathery touch and excellent size.

Indeed this year will be exciting to see what our team develops into. Can't wait.

1 person likes this.
  9. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

All I can say to that is, in Morey we trust.

10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Member

good post but LIN is not a veteran by NBA standards and Smith is anything but consistent on the defensive end as shown by his play be okc playoffs

11. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

How many years does a player have to be in the NBA to be considered a veteran? Just curious. Would it be like 6 or 7 years?

12. Rockets34Legend

Who mentioned we got the steal of the draft? I'm just curious....not knockin' ya :)

13. lwlee

lwlee Member

Competition has gotten tougher I believe since 2009. Just because of Harden, this Rockets team, on paper, looks better than 2009 Magic. Looking at that roster, it's pretty amazing that they even made it to the Finals.

My main concern is the 3pt shooters. Miami had 5 players who shoot 40% 3s last season. One player, Rashard Lewis, did .389. No Rocket did better than .386. Having Howard and Harden (lesser extent Lin) penetrating, really spreads the floor. Need those outside shooters to make 3s.

14. Fantasma Negro

No connection, Camby is here to teach and provide vet leadership in practice and in the locker room. He might average 3mpg in spot duty

15. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

I think it's because the guy was projected to be somewhere in the middle of the first round. The fact that he dropped so low was due to the abundance of PGs.

16. lwlee

lwlee Member

I watched a youtube highlight on Canaan. Wasn't too impressive. Not a lot of size. Hopefully his shooter makes up for it. But probably a reason why he dropped so low.

17. dragician

dragician Member

one year experience to build a good chemistry is needed to make a an elite team.

18. jtr

jtr Member

Last season D-Mo was very efficient in the post, hitting 62.5% of his shots there. He also shot 50% of his shots in the post. I posted his shot chart near the end of the D-Mo thread.

19. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Agreed with for the most part but, it seems like people keep on referring almost exclusively to Jones and Donuts when discussing the PF position and Smith as an afterthought. Smith is younger than Donuts and only months away from Jones with more experience. He has as good a chance as either depending on how each progresses in the off season. I wouldn't be so quick to overlook him.

20. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

I feel this way too. The celtics were able to do it in a year but they didn't have the big three heat at the time.