1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Robert Horry thread (what will happen, what would you like to see happen?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JBIIRockets, May 16, 2004.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Member

Horry's a former Rocket like Tracy Murray so i put it in the garm.

So many questions surround this guy now.

Spurs have a team option, so do you think the Spurs will resign him?

If not, what will happen? If the spurs let him go, will he retire since he doesn't want to play outside of Texas, or play for the Rockets again? I'd be surprised if he did anything else.

Do you think he's done as a player overall?

Has he lost his clutch ability?

Would you like to see him back with the Rockets?

I am 50/50 on what the Spurs will do, I truly do not know, and I dont have a hunch, which is rare. Horry's one of my favorite players, so i would like to see him in Houston, if there is any interest. I'd be even surprised if he settled for Dallas.

I dont think Horry is done as a player yet, he was active in Game 6, scoring 12, and getting to the line 6 times, had 7 rebounds, and 3 steals. Pop should have played him more in the other games in the series, but he went with Turkoglu and paid for it.

I dont think he is totally un-clutch. In order for him to be clutch, other role players need to do that also, and bowen, Suckoglu and even parker were dreadful in big-shot moments.

2. Ender120

Ender120 Member

Sign Robert Horry.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

I'm betting San Antonio keeps the team option. They're a veteran laden squad, and Horry isn't paid a whole lot. But, I'm assuming the only other place that would interest him at this point is Houston, should SA pass on his option.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

While Horry has slightly lost his 3pt touch he still is a great team defender and has a lot of playoff experience. I think a lot of teams close to a championship would love to have him coming off the bench. I foung it very interesting that Malik Rose totally got in the doghouse in SA. SA fans, what happened to him? Robert Horry took all of his minutes. If I was a betting man I would bet he would be back. The guy on the Spurs that is a FA that I dont think will be back will be Turkoglu. His 3pt shooting was needed and he turned in a dog performance. I bet they let him go and try to resign Stephen Jackson.

But back to Horry, I feel the Spurs will keep him.

5. GATER

GATER Member

We don't need Horry talking up a roster spot and sleep walking through the season until the playoffs. That PTime is better spent on someone more deserving. My guess is we'll see a thread on this topic about once a week from now until the end of July.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

He could make the entry pass. We know that much.

7. thumbs

thumbs Member

And Calvin Murphy is no longer a problem for him.:eek:

8. xiki

xiki Member

I expect ...Horry's option to be declined by SAS. However, I expect SAS to try and resign him for veteran's minimum, or 1/2 MLE at most.

thumbs Quote: And Calvin Murphy is no longer a problem for him.

I hope ...Calvin is back with Rox -- and to hell with Horry or anyone else. Go, Calvin!

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was curious about that too

Malik is a hard worker and a BANGER

Rocket River

10. thumbs

thumbs Member

Me too....but sometimes I just can't resist the obvious.:D

11. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Member

If nothing else happens on the PF front, he might be just what we need depth wise. He gives Cato more 5 time, Mo more 4 time, and Horry's in there spreading things and setting up Yao.

And he gets to retire a Rocket after a productive career. I like Padge, but I'd take Horry over him in the rotation. It gives us more of a veteren appearence. Who knows what our backcourt is gonna look like.

12. xiki

xiki Member

Your call. But I won't join in.

13. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

Horry can feed his big men with the best of them. Dream..Shaq...TD...he knows how to put the ball where it needs to be for the center to be able to catch it. Aside from that...there's not much that Horry can do FOR THE ROCKETS. 3pt shooting? he's as streaky right now as any of our players. Defense? eh.....

Don't get me wrong..i like Horry. It's just that he's not worth bringing back just for nostalgia-sakes.

15. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

JVG brought back Oakley,Mark Jackson and we also brought back Jim Jackson.
    Horry has 5 more rings than all 3 of them combined and he probably wants to come back and play for Houston.
    Let him play with the next big center to close out his career.

16. Dave2000

Dave2000 Member

Its funny you say that, I remember when we traded him and the Suns had their press conference to introduce the 4 players, Horry was saying that he never had to do (him motioning to pass the ball overheaded like he did to Olajuwon all the time) anymore. Thought that was hilarious.

Many thought he would be a great player, still remember the "next Pippen" hype, but he knew all he was, was a great role player. Would love to see him play with Yao and see where he can help take us.

17. slcrocket

slcrocket Member

I'd love to have Horry, if he could be had for cheap. The guy does kind of sleepwalk through the season until the playoffs, but he can give you quality minutes off the bench and has lots of experience.
    But cheap is still the magic word on this deal.

18. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

who gives a crap about what happens to Rob Horry, what is up with Tracey Murray???????

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd sign Horry for the minimum. He's one of the best entry passer. He can still shoot the 3 (.380 this season), though not as clutch as before. He is still a pretty good rebounder. He's not a full time player now. But he can still help. The fact that he could take up Malik Rose's PT says a lot.

20. thegary

thegary Member

we don't need more bench players, we need to upgrade the starting five.