1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Ringer] We're Still Waiting on Jadeveon Clowney.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by FishBulb913, Aug 15, 2016.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This. I think, barring injury, he'll be a fine player. Having said that...you don't take a run-stopping defensive end with the first pick. If he can't improve his overall impact, it'd be a definite disappointment.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but his sack numbers are well in line with where guys like JJ Watt was at his age, I guess we all expected him to have a better beginning of his career than one of the best defensive players in NFL history in order to not be "disappointed". IMO it's pretty ridiculous.

Now if he does nothing this season, we can start to have that conversation.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's not just sack numbers. His pass rush impact in general has lacked.

I'm not saying he's a bust. Not even close really. I just think he's been disappointing, though with obvious chance to turn it around. I think that's fair.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again though, compare that to JJ Watt's "pass rush impact" as a rookie and you don't see much different. All I'm saying is that people are rushing to call him a bust and a lot of that has to do with the fact that a huge part of the fanbase wanted the Texans to draft a bust QB instead. They've been pushing a narrative that Clowney is a bust since before his first practice with the team.

The fact that he's shown to be one of the best run stoppers in the NFL despite coming off microfracture AND has consistently drawn and occasionally beaten double teams like when he got the sack on Brady last season should be enough for people to be encouraged about his progress after only 17 games.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's fair. He's the #1 pick after all. Maybe not his fault, but it is what it is

6. Buck Turgidson

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8YdQBkxf4kU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Watt didn't have another elite pass rushing teammate when he entered the league. Clowney can't say the same.

I wouldn't call him a bust, but he's been disappointing. Thus far, he's a bust for a #1 pick.

Hopefully he stays healthy and shuts up anyone who is hating on him. I would love for dude to ball out.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Watt played with Mario Williams, Connor Barwin, and Antonio Smith before he was washed up.....so I'm not sure that's accurate and even then Clowney was catching double teams last year so I'm not sure how much that would matter.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Mario played how many games before getting injured? It's arguable Watt elevated both Smith and Barwin given they produced their best seasons (or 2nd best) during JJs rookie year. Or maybe it was a 1st year Wade achievement.

Clowney has had prime Watt, and Mercilus, who produces best without Jadeveon playing.

Watt was also drated 11th, not numero uno. Much of Clowney's "hate" comes from injuries, where he was drafted, and questions about his heart. Every one of those questions existed BEFORE he was drafted... it's just carrying on.

No poster, who wanted whoever, could say anything had Clowney been ballin. He's not, but his book hasn't been written either. Hopefully dude can stay healthy.

#29 Houstunna, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  10. Mr. Clutch

I don't have any hate for the pick.

He had the most upside and was the most talented guy in the draft. He was the consensus #1 guy. If we had a huge offer to trade down, then ok. But sometimes it doesn't work out.

Now doing stuff like trading away a bunch of draft picks for busts or way overpaying unproven guys, that's the stuff that's not excusable.

11. basketballholic

Clowney's father's legal issues are a dark cloud hanging over Clowney. It's draining him of resources, time, and energy. A very unfortunate circumstance that doesn't look to be changing for a long time if ever unless his father's trial ends in a not guilty verdict.

12. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

It's frustrating that he can't stay off the injury report.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yeah, I think most GM's make Clowney the pick. Hard to fault it. Only other guy with his kind up upside was Khalil Mack, who's great, but once again...hard to fault taking the consensus top guy. He just hasn't lived up to the (lofty) expectations. Still plenty of time to change that.

14. Mr. Clutch

Rumor was Texans wanted to trade down and take Mack

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not a bust yet, but I'm taking on a 'show me don't tell me' attitude with him this year. Much like I am with this entire team.

I fall for the preseason hype every year with this team. Not going to do it this year.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jadeveon Clowney and Nick Martin returned to practice. Both were full participants. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/765614002806353920">August 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This is the best approach to take with both Clowney and this team because they both have a lot of questions that need to be answered on the field.

18. Mr. Clutch

Good thing Rick just signed an extension.

19. conquistador#11

how is clowney back? i thought he lost his leg

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Texans be like:
    [​IMG]