1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Ringer] Kevin O'Conner Defends James Harden, Hates Russell Westbrook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DreamShook, Sep 1, 2020.

1. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Rhythm and timing bro. Anyone who plays/played ball should know this feeling especially you have not played in a long time and go out and try to do what you used to do. He has no feel for the ball and bad footwork. Hes already a guy that isnt a great ball handler or have good footwork in the first place. In his first game back he played it more safe though. He didnt try to use his explosiveness much. In game 2 he tried to incorporate it and thats one of the reasons he turned it over so much. Im sure WB is working as we speak to be the best he can be.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  2. HardenVolumeOne

that photo must have triggered liberals lol

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yes, they are both correct.

however, they just spoke for 15 minutes about the Rockets, and I never heard Eric Gordon or MDA's name mentioned. The Rockets went on a 14-1 run in the 4th quarter. Then Eric Gordon came in the game, and they got outscored by 7.

Don't forget for all the "what about Game 3 and 4" chatter... Eric Gordon couldn't manage to stay on his feet to catch an inbound pass to end Game 3.

As for Russ, here was his +/- in the 4th quarter. -4, then they took him out, the Rockets go on a 14-1 run, he comes back in at the tail end of that and ends up -7 for the last stretch. Let's not forget the stretch at the end of the 3rd when Russ came in for Harden. A quick -6. So in his last 3 stretches of the game, Russ was -6, -4 and -7.

Look, is Harden a "shrinking violet"?? So far, seems like it in the playoffs. He was 1-6 in the fourth. But he did have 6 points, 3 boards, and assist and only one turnover while playing solid defense.

But to even be arguing about it OFF THIS GAME is so moronic the one dude should lose his job. In the 4ish minutes James rested in the second half, the Rockets were -11, lol.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

How do you explain the dude not having ANY turnovers the previous game? I'll go to bat for James Harden but I'm not gonna go to bat for the dude who single handedly blew a playoff game for us until he proves it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I hear you @HP3 but you and I both know that CP3 would not come back at all from a quad, or any kind of injury.

CP3 had his chance to show all of us last postseason and he shrank from it. Everyone forgets how poorly he played regular season and postseason.

No problem, but his constant b****ing and never taking responsibility for his own shortcomings was wearing thin.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

Eric Gordon is basically shooting the same percentages as Lou Dort this season.

D-rock likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Man, I feel like he would have come back better this season, I really do.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

We had CP3 for two straight seasons and he actually wasn’t there for us when we needed him most....

No mention of that.

Vernon dude lets his bias make him unable to fairly/accurately talk anything James Harden.

He is in that don’t want facts crowd who says something stupid like “ he has NEVER come up big in a playoff game when it matters” “he NEVER wants the ball in big moments”

These are clearly inaccurate statements.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

He did!

But man, he looked shot last season. And he is 35 now. What is he going to look like next season?

Did he shoot his last wad this season? In OKC 3 losses in this series, CP3 has looked like complete garbage.

hakeem94, Patience and HP3 like this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

I'm just upset we traded him for what looks like a worse player. If we got someone like Lillard.....boooooy, no one would stop us, not anyone. Even Kemba Walker looks like a better fit for the team right now than he does. I really like the guy and I want to be proven wrong but man...its really hard.

MettaWorldPete and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

What ifs will destroy your psyche brother.

Just realize that Blazers would have NEVER traded Dame for CP3.

CP3 was not an easily tradeable commodity this past offseason, for good reason.

12. BigTex

BigTex Member

Media/haters are going to eviscerate Harden if we lose Game 7. No matter how well he plays. Or how badly his teammates play. They never remember the details of series. Just the big moments and the moments to latch onto so far are Rockets failing in the clutch and Harden not demanding the ball. A game 7 loss would be another huge moment, like the Spurs series or the 0-27.

No one will remember the blowouts. The FT and foul disparity. Gordon forgetting how to basketball.
    WB missing 4 games and then returning as a rusty mess. Or the team giving up huge runs with Harden resting on the bench

hakeem94, joshuaao, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't know. I think it has a lot to do with Harden not giving a damn about how things are "supposed" to be or how things are. The media is used to players wanting their attention or at least respecting their power and they come at him like this is what you get for not caring about us. Also, basketball purists don't like that Harden's game is an afront to the "right way" to play basketball. So in those ways, Harden is kinda like Trump, lol. Good point.

hakeem94 and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

"Having his back"...

It's always some secret agenda with his stans. God forbid people just have genuine criticism of his game.

15. fchowd0311

You really are reading into nothing.

The media "doesn't like Harden" not because "he doesn't care". It's purely due to his play style and odd tendencies in late game situations such as being extremely passive.

#35 fchowd0311, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    hakeem94 and JumpMan like this.
  16. HardenVolumeOne

harden doesn’t give the nba storylines, in last night presser. Dave mcmenamen lakers reporter asked james harden,” what his thoughts on Westbrook having 7 turnovers. Harden immediately countered and said so what I had 5.” The media tries to get under hardens skin and he won’t let them. It’s very similar to trump.

JumpMan and D-rock like this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Can't hide behind that excuse. Not even Westbrook would bring it up as a reason for playing beneath his standards.

Shouldn't have the ball in your hands at the end of a game if you don't think you're up for it, anyway.

If you're healthy enough to play, you're healthy enough for the criticisms that come along with playing.

18. HP3

HP3 Member

Please....dude im begging you, stop bringing up Trump and please dont compare him to Harden.

19. fchowd0311

This is so ****ing dumb. They do this to every team and almost any reasonable teammate won't throw their teammate under the bus like that in most situations. How do you find an anomaly?

Jesus christ you guys really have never heard of the concept of Occam's Razor. It's always multiple levels of secret agendas with Harden.

20. HardenVolumeOne

plenty of players play like harden tho. Harden has changed the game and brought the side step three and other things to the game that almost every player uses. Trae young and luka play exactly like harden yet aren’t hated like harden. This is deeper than play styles. I wish I could put my finger on why he is hated. But I got nothing