1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Republican Convention

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimbaud, Aug 1, 2000.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

True Rocketman.

The Democratic Convention will reveal alot of interesting things. Yea, they will harp on how good things are now, but will they explain to me how they plan to stop all the corporate money coming into Washington and how that doesn't influence legislature? That will be something to see.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

2. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Just thought you guys would find this interesting:

Army Counterstrike
    Military Officials Tell Bush They’re Ready for Battle

W A S H I N G T O N, Aug. 4 — The Army today fired back at GOP presidential nominee George W. Bush, denying claims he made during his nomination acceptance speech that the military was unprepared for active combat.
    At the Republican National Convention on Thursday night, Bush said military readiness and morale had plunged during President Clinton’s administration. Thrusting the Army into the middle of his political battle with Democratic presidential candidate Al Gore, he suggested the Clinton-Gore administration had compromised national security by stretching the Army’s resources with various peacekeeping missions around the world at the expense of readiness.
    “If called on by the commander in chief, two entire divisions of the Army would have to report, ‘Not ready for duty, sir!’” Bush said in his speech.
    A Problem Late Last Year
    Today, the Army refuted Bush’s allegations and insisted that all 10 of its divisions would be ready for duty if called into action. Bush’s statements, the Army admitted, were true seven months ago, but not today.
    “Seven months ago, two Army divisions experienced short-term readiness problems associated with the deployment of parts of each division to the Balkans,” the Army said in statement. “Today, all active Army divisions are reporting that they are fully prepared to conduct their wartime mission assignments as established.”
    Last November and December, both the 10th Mountain Division and the 1st Infantry Division had between 4,000 and 6,000 troops committed to peacekeeping duties in Bosnia and Kosovo. Because of this, Army commanders believed their divisions would not be able to deploy the forces needed for wartime missions.
    Army officials also pointed out that troops from two army divisions remain in the Balkans but are considered available if needed. Army media relations officer Maj. Thomas Collins said the military reordered the sequence that Army divisions would be deployed in wartime situations.
    The 1st Infantry Division and 10th Mountain Division were high on the deployment lists.
    In an e-mail to ABCNEWS, Collins said units involved in the Balkans such as the 1st Infantry Division and 10th Mountain Division have been moved further down in the deployment sequence, enabling them to have the time necessary to extract themselves from Bosnia and Kosovo.

The lies have already started. Or should I say the "half truths"?

------------------

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I remember reading about this story back a few months ago, and I have to say it seemed then that what Gov. Bush said is correct. The way the Pentagon framed it then was that the military was in horrible shape and that two divisions in partiucular were no where near being combat-ready. They didn't give a time table, but the article insinuated that since the current administration had been making military cuts that things weren't going to get better.

------------------

4. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Wait a minute. I don't know if Bush doesn't want to debate. I am pissed that they BOTH must of agree on having just one.

And debates is where you see two candidates try and expose each others strength and weaknesses. Conventions are just parties where Bush or Gore can yap for an hour and talk garbage about garbage that has nothing to do with anything. And Achebe is right. The Ross Perot charts are the main reason Bush and Clinton moved away from talking about each other and talking about America.

------------------

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I was guessing that this is the reason for the current scenario. I was calling Bush a 'wus' because of his refusal to debate at regular intervals from 'Super Tuesday' to the election.

In his defense, what the hell was their to debate? He didn't have any ideas to pick apart. [​IMG]

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)
    Dubyah Speaks

6. Achebe

MadMax,

I think you're memory is being selective. The article(s) that I read specified exactly what Almu's Pentagon Press Release did... that the issue of readiness was availability, not combat readiness. Bush just drew negative attention to himself from a traditionally Republican ally. I saw more than one interview by Pentagon spokespersons that were tiffed & amused.

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

Dubyah Speaks

7. Achebe

I found another article about the untruths/lies that Cheney and Bush spread during the convention.

It leaves off w/ a great sentence in anticipation of the Democrats' Convention (and Rimbaud's upcoming thread) next week. [​IMG]

------------------

Dubyah Speaks

8. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

That article hit the nail right on the head. But lets not forget the last sentence. Its is after all these parties that the truth has to and will be seen. But, with such limited one on one debates, how are we going to see them make their case for president? Through televison ads?

------------------