1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Republican Convention

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimbaud, Aug 1, 2000.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I liked that delegate from Rhode Island who said "McCain 2004". McCain was the best choice for president from any party.

I don't believe McCain when he said vote for Bush. I think he was just saying that so that he would not be an outcast should he run in 2004. I don't like to say 100% I would vote for a candidate, but McCain and Powell would have my vote. I'm not a Republican either.

------------------
    Bernard Sumner & Johnny Marr are Electronic

2. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I don't mean to be cynical. But I can't help it.

Notice that the TRUE candidates who have the bolas to change the way things are never get voted in?

I would of voted for McCain. I would of voted for Bradley. But they didn't even get nominated.

Why? Because its all about control. The Republicans want Bush and his dorky vice-president because they will be able to run him. Same with Gore and the Democrats. The Republicans couldn't control Clinton and they made his life miserable on most everything. Does it look like to anyone here that Bush or Gore have strenghth as one of their attributes? Nope.

In the beginning, the founding fathers created all this to help us little people. Now, its all about power and control. If you can't be controlled and have the bolas to change things, you don't get in or they make your life miserable when you do get in. Poor McCain and Bradley. They never had a shot.

Oh, and it helps to have special interest giving you a ton of money also.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

3. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

rims:

reread the post. my bad. i hope that my thread didn't convey a direct target at your post.. i basically went off on the tanget as i saw the issues being pushed to the background in favor of "character debate". [​IMG] as for issues, i'll bring em up soon enough.

didn't get a chance to see the convention tonight.. hafta read the news clips.

------------------
    i need a vacation

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

mcmark: couldn't agree more.

One that I would add to the list:

The unwillingness of the party to recognize and pass a women's sufferage bill. It is just amazing to me that women still do not have equal rights under the law.

I think that what bothers me most about many of the Republican stances on things is their inability to be in touch with reality. I don't really mind many of their fiscal policies (although, I do disagree with some), but the whole idea that we can somehow dictate how the country lives its private lives just blows me away.

If they think that those many government regulations on business costs alot and keeps the government too big, try regulating the way people live their day to day lives. Now, THAT is expensive.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Brother, it's a mean old world out there. And politics is probably the meanest world of all. You can have your opinions, and I can have mine as well. That's what makes this country so great. It certainly isn't our politics that make it great. So here's my opinion: Neither Bush or Gore has anything new to say, both have been permanently contaminated by the political system, both are spouting lies, both listen to no one but their largest campaign contributers, both are pre-programmed robots, and neither will get my vote.

------------------
    Bring It!!

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

WOW!!!

Very strange. I was watching last night and they kept showing shots of Gerald Ford and I was saying to myself, "self, he sure don't look so good". And next I hear, he's at the hospital with a slight stroke.

------------------

7. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I am watching Bush try and to sound and look intelligent and he continues to prove why I am so irked with all this garbage. By the way, Republican or Democrat, this guy has to be one of the worse speakers I have ever seen at any convention. Anyways what irks me about all this.

He says:

"We need a leader who is going to take advantage of the new economy. A leader who will drive the advancement of technology, foster ideas and move America to even more promise."

Now, don't the Republicans say that the PEOPLE is the reason why we are enjoying these good times? So, why if he thinks he is the leader to do this, Clinton didn't lead for 8 years to get us to this point?

Another one:

"We lead Texas to the biggest improvements in education. Not only that, but we balanced the budget to the point where we now have a surplus." Later on he says "The present government thinks that the current surplus should be spent on something. I say, the surplus doesn't belong to them. It belongs to the people."

Again, have any of you living in Texas seen any money from the Texas surplus reach you? Have you gotten a check from the State yet? Or does he mean that the way we get to see the money is with that $250 dollar tax cut for having a new baby that will cost you $200,000 dollars to raise?

Also, I must of counted the word character, inclusion and integrity 20 times in 15 minutes of his speech. Goes to show you who this is really all about. Bubba. The same tactic used in 1992 on them the repeat right back.

One last point, I know that this is not ALL he said during his speech. But just those hypocritical excerpts just show me that politicians will do anything to get elected. No wonder I am so cynical.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited August 03, 2000).]

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

America

1.) Do you guys really talk like that?

HAHAHHAHAHAAA

2.) I'm not sure what I just saw.

was it:

a.) the 1996 Democratic Convention and talk of getting across the 2000 bridge

b.) alot of promises, I think alluding to the biggest spending increase in the history of the U.S.

c.) both of the above.

3.) George sure appeals to the military and heroism considering his track record of the 70s. Kerry is looking more and more like the logical candidate to take Gore's side.

4.) Does the government count or doesn't it? Why should someone vote for Bush/Cheney to accomplish the very things he gives no credit to Clinton/Gore for accomplishing?

5.) I think the highlight of the night was when Gov. Ventura asked Tom Brokaw who was governing Texas for the past 18 mos. Tom's response was that the Ltn. Governor actually had most of the power in Texas... to which the natural question is: why the hell isn't the Ltn. Governor running for the presidency then?

6.) I cannot wait until issues are actually discussed. All of these ideas that George throws out (we'll figure out specifics later, ehhhh?) have about a billion reasons against them in general. If he actually has specific details to get past many of their inherent problems (i.e. vouchers) then there'll be something to talk about... anything else is just political rhetoric and asking stupid people whether or not they believe in "freedom"...

hmmm... how many people believe in "freedom".

What a waste of a night. This was supposed to be the biggest speech of his life?

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)
    Dubyah Speaks

9. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Don't worry, Achebe. The Democrats will do the same promises and same type of speeches...just backwards ideas from what the Republicans said. Spending my damn tax money and taking money from all those corporations for what? Conventions? Its all for show. What a waste.

------------------

10. mc mark

Aahh...

The eyes are finally opening.

------------------

11. mc mark

By the way, two years ago Texas' surplus was six billion dollars. Now its one.

------------------

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Almu,

You are very right,
    GWB = bad, bad speaker. Presentation horrible, pace horrible, enunciation horrible. And did he have to yell his speech? He should learn a few things from his running mate.

------------------
    Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit

13. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I just heard on CNN that there will only be 1 presidential debate and 1 vice presidential debate? What?

That is when you leave all the glamour and glitz behind!!! America only gets to hear 1 debate to determine the issues and ideas from each candidate but politicians get 4 party days to show how much money they can spend on confetti?

And you are right about the speech, Rim.

Damn, its starting to look bad. Where is Ross Perot when you need him? [​IMG]

------------------

14. Achebe

Can I guess why there will only be one presidential debate?

What a f@cking coward. Al Gore asked George Bush to have weekly or bi-weekly debates after Super Tuesday up until the election and Bush refused. What a wus... but I guess it fits his style... no need to get involved with silly details. Better to hide behind one line slogans, ehhhh?

Typical.

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

Dubyah Speaks

15. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Yeah! How dare Governor Bush give the taxpayers back the money that the government didn't need!??!

May I remind you that the purpose of government is not to turn a profit? When the government takes in more money than it spends, it's entirely reasonable for it to refund that money cheerfully and promptly.

Why in God's name would you WANT the government to run a surplus? Do you really think a group of politicians will figure out better ways to spend that money than the people they took it from in the first place...?

Now, Achebe, let me ask you a question. Do you really think that the presidential debates are any more valuable a method for evaluating the candidates than their convention speeches?

------------------
    I didn't use the cocaine to get high, I just liked the way it smelled.

16. mc mark

Brian,

He did not "give it back". It was spent to save his ass because of programs that the Texas government overextended itself on. Mainly tax breaks for the rich while ignoring education and social programs needed for the sick and seniors.

Here is just one example
    http://advocate4texas.4mg.com/index.html

------------------

17. Achebe

Brian:

The debates are incredibly useful. The candidates actually get called on their hair brain schemes. Remember 1992... when the little short guy w/ the charts brought 'balancing the budget' to the forefront of the political debate? Many economists attribute Perot and the 'Balanced Budget Act of 1993' of being the most influential factors in the strength of the economy.

There are three reasons why George Bush refuses to make himself available to Al Gore (I'm willing to bet that you know each of these, and your conservatism keeps you concerned about the aftermath) and attempts to keep this campaign focused on 'one-liners' and 'good-looks'.

1992: His debates against Ret. Adm. James Stockdale and Quayle made evidence of his own political prowess (in relation to Clinton). Quayle, admittedly, needed noone to show his inability to debate a topic. Stockdale seemed lost... perhaps b/c he was about to fall asleep [​IMG] (different get together, actually), perhaps b/c he was meshing words w/ politicians.

1996: He dismantled Jack Kemp. (I'm not sure that the transcript is correct, b/c oftentimes it has even Lehrer making inane statements)

2000:
    After falling behind Bill Bradley by 15-20 points, Al Gore quickly makes up ground by disproving the efficacy of his (Bradley's) health care plan using Bradley campaign literature. The ensuing Super Tuesday is a slaughter (I did not find a transcript).

Considering that Bush is running on BS and slogans on all of the greatest issues, including:

a) His surplus... watch that tax cut!, he had to reappropriate for emergency spending. Hmmm.... nice budgeting. [​IMG]

b) Educational Success... the Baltimore Sun (as Jeff pointed out) showed that Bush's success rate was due to Texan schools' aggressive 'test-taking' lessons. Pathetic.

c) Vouchers for school 'choice'... there's no way that these would ever be Constitutional.

d) Appeals to heroism notwithstanding, Dubyah will be unable to persuade the American republic that he is 'in touch' w/ defense needs considering his 'either Canada or the Guard' quote. I am not arguing that this is logical... just that it is a weakness of Bush's.

I think that the debates would be enlightening.

------------------

Dubyah Speaks

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I am confused about something, and I hope all of you can join in and straighten me out.

Texas has (or had) a $6 billion surplus. Bush cut taxes to "give it back to the people". But the fact is that we have no state income tax in Texas. Also, property taxes are at an all-time high.

My question: where the hell was I when the checks were being handed out? Did I miss something? I sure could use a little extra beer money this weekend.

Hey Dubya! Over here! I want mine!!!!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    Bring It!!

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Isn't this the same guy who thinks there should be limits to freedom, especially when it comes to the internet, and especially when they're talking trash about him?

[​IMG]

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

20. mc mark

Wonder why this isn't getting more coverage in the news?

Visit www.r2kphilly.org for details.

INHUMANITY CONTINUES AGAINST JAILED PROTESTERS

Demonstrators continue to demand medical treatment, access to lawyers, access to phones, and timely release as constitutional violations persist in Philadelphia jails.

Outside, solidarity actions are happening, with rallies planned at Franklin Park at 12 noon and 7 p.m. Activists also plan to collect signatures for a petition demanding the release of jailed demonstrators.

Arrestees have now been held for over 60 hours without arraignment, some without phone calls or contact with their lawyers. Detainees report missing paperwork, and arraignments with incomplete or slipshod records.

Philadephia continues to restrict R2K lawyers, allowing only a total of three access to all six detention sites.

R2K Legal has documented 381 confirmed arrests, not including members of the Int'l Action Center and School of Americas Watch (15 more). Additionally, there are people we have not heard from (we estimate up to 30), but due to restrictions on protester's access to telephones, there is really no way to tell. Of these people, approximately 60 have accepted "Release on Own Recognizance" or "Signed On
    Bail". Solidarity remains strong, with protesters coming to consensus on and communicating their demands. While not everyone still imprisoned is participating, most are.

Guards, police, and administrators continue to attack protestors in jail, seeking to demoralize and divide. There has been one sexual assault, by a female officer who pulled and twisted a prisoner's *****. One released activist reports men have been dragged face down through a 'trash trough' containing refuse, spittle, and urine. Arrestees have been verbally abused, punched, kicked, thrown against walls,
    bloodied, dragged naked across floors.

Outside pressure on the Philadelphia Health Commission has been effective at improving medical conditions. Diabetics, epileptics, and asthmatics continue to be denied medication. Trauma and psychological stress are evident.

Released prisoners consistently report beatings during arrest and beatings in jail, with highest charges pressed on those most damaged. Supporters are asked to phone Mayor John Street at 215.686.2181 and demand release of these political prisoners.

Prosecuters have set unreasonably high bail for demonstrators: from $15,000 to $30,000 for most. Two individuals have bail of $1,000,000, an amount typically reserved for serial killers, not puppet makers. "I consider this a civil rights catastrophe of the first order," R2K legal counsel Ron McGuire stated.

Solidarity tactics include singing, chanting, story telling, puppet making, along with a 150-person-strong hunger strike. Some have been on hunger strike for as long as 56 hours. Three men have fasted without water for 28 hours.

R2K Legal is currently seeking legal redress, including a writ of habeus corpus and a possible temporary restraining order against particularly violent officers.

------------------