1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The referees tried

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fattz, May 23, 2018.

1. fattz

fattz Member

The Livingston call at the end of the game was a head scratcher. The calls for Curry in the fourth were also very well placed for a GSW come back. The Rockets seemed to be playing against two squads last night. The GSW and the referees. I am not comfortable with the way the end of that game was called at all. I know a win is a win but a rat is also a rat. Over time wouldn’t have worked with the whistles blowing like they where. One of the best shooters in the league missed an opportunity that he normally makes. The ONLY reason the game was not over was because of a phantom call that would not let the game end earlier. Not crying just an observation. Thoughts?

2. Mr. Space City

lets warriors fans and nba twitter tell it.

the refs were bias for the rockets.

27 vs. 14 free throws blah blah blah.

Invisible Fan and pauebtg like this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Isn't the lesson here to just ignore the damn refs, win or lose, and focus on what the players did or didn't do to win the game?

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Some parts of the game felt like some serious home cooking. Other parts it seemed like we were getting the benefit. Then the headscratcher at the end. Very uneven reffing game, but I think they were wrong in both directions. So it's alright .

napalm06 and BigShasta like this.
  5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The only really bad call was the ref calling the foul after the buzzer and the .5 seconds being rewarded. What in the world was that?

6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

We gotta stop being so whiney imo, especially after a win. Yes there were some missed calls that couldve helped the rockets but there were missed calls on both sides.

The refs called a pretty good game imo. Warriors fans also think the refs are against them and the oracle crowd was chanting refs you suck lmao.

Every fan base doesnt like the refs. Houston didnt get hosed by the refs last night.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

The foul at the end was ridiculous and had no benefit to the team that it was intended to benefit.

In these extreme cases, say with virtually (under 1 sec) no time left on the game clock at the end of a half the fouled team should have the option to decline the penalty/FTs, game or half over.

8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

They can’t make this arguement when they tried a hack a Capela. Not to mention when we got fouled we got legitimately fouled and most of their free throws came on ridiculous touch fouls that resulted in And 1s. A jump shooting should shoot less free throws.

It was very apparent at end of first half with KD getting 3 free throws then moments later Harden getting a no call.

And that last play you can easily see when the ref raises his arm way after the buzzer goes off. How they determined .5 seconds is beyond me. If Curry hits that shot the Rockets are filing a protest to the league this morning.

9. durvasa

If my team is down 2 or 3, in a pivotal game, without possession of the ball, I'd like the optional of intentionally fouling with a fraction of a second left just to give myself a chance. You don't want that?

10. Voltik

Voltik Member

Refs were atrocious in calling fouls on defenders playing playoff D on Curry. He was overblowing minimal contact on Harden and CP3. On the other end, no calls for Harden being bumped and mugged hard on drives. Curry could not be touched while Harden was bodied and fouled. It was one of the reasons why Harden stopped driving frequently because he was gassed from all the contact. Refs start affecting our players way too much. They need to ignore them and play tougher and smarter.

The foul on Durant’s shot of the backboard was a head scratcher.

saleem likes this.
  11. rocks123

rocks123 Member

I like how the rockets have been very steady in the whole 4th quarter. Unperturbed by calls and non calls. Even that head scratcher of a call they didnt really react or complain. They came in knowing they wont get calls they want and they just have to play through it. I think the whole game they gut it through. I thought the officiating was fine as a whole. I expected worse. Hehe.

JuanValdez and Invisible Fan like this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I love all the excuses too about them being hurt...

Or them missing Iguodala.

Hey, it's not like the Rockets beat them at full strength a week ago...in fact, blew them out...I could see if the Rockets had never won a game with Iguodala playing but that's simply not the case.

13. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Eh good point. I would so in that case maybe you do get the ball back on a decline but with no advancement with or without a TO. Maybe there is no "hit the rim" requirement on these FTs....

I'm sure I have no real answer to this and I'm boxing myself in but I go back to what I've said before here. They reviewed the play last night (under 2 mins) for good cause so why can't we review a play in say the last 30 secs to ensure it was really a foul or not? I know it would stretch the game out but it would help end the controversies. See Paul George 3pt shot foul this year.

As it was I didn't see the clock at .5 but they gave it to them which allowed for a catch and shoot so maybe video replay of anything wont work with these idiots.....

14. durvasa

I don't want to hear any injury excuses from Warrior fans or their protectors in the media, without at least acknowledgment of the same for the Rockets. A healthy Mbah a Moute would be a perfect guy for this series. Chris Paul isn't 100%, and that could very well be a factor in the remaining games. It clearly was in game 3.

saleem likes this.
  15. val_modus

val_modus Member

This is amplified by the fact that nobody on that atrocious TNT crew even mentioned once how important Mbah Moute was to the success of this team, ESPECIALLY vs GS in the regular season.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

They didn’t watch basketball before Golden State became historically good. If anything, we should expect them to draw wrong conclusions about ref performance.

The refs were bad on both sides today, as they always are. Ref performance should be measured by call volatility, not by total calls. It would solve all performance and spread related issues.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

That was a bizarre call

f it went in, FML

Refs need to be investigated

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

that last .5 was some shenanigans for sure.

I would like to say though, on this note, that Harden got karate chopped like 3 times with no call in the 1st quarter. Like, obvious foul calls but no whistle....then for whatever reason, Curry hand checked him and picked one up. He was acting out about it and I actually understand. You didn't call a karate chop but you call a hand check? I mean, I'd rather they call the karate chops as they happen because Harden will get 40 free throws.

19. How Sweet It Is!

Yep, if Curry deflected one inch four steps before his shot it was an And-One.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

They didn't intentional foul though, they were just going for the rebound. Very strange to call a foul there considering all of the physical play in the 4th quarter.

That being said, I don't really care since: a) Rockets won obviously and b) Curry didn't even get the shot off in time anyway.