1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The reason why Lin is not consistent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tom84128, Mar 27, 2013.

1. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Rockets were already down 19-9, the 2 careless back to back turnovers lead to easy break baskets which made it 23-9. Dude was just careless and making silly mistakes. As a pg he needs to set better pace/tempo.

2. Karolik

Karolik Member

No because then you'll be punishing Lin too. Get a Lin cardboard cutout and put it in front of the basket and have them stare at it for $10.

3. davek

davek Member

When you mean hitting home runs by throwing the hail mary pass?? How about some logic...if he can get it 50% of the time thats an almost guaranteed basket!!!! 50% FG is high wouldn't you agree? Basic math people!! Looks ugly when it doesn't work but I'm sure those plays are above 50%. If someone can run some stats i'm sure i'm right.

4. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Every single thread talking about the same exact things: McFail, Harden-Iso, how bad Beverley is compared to Lin, and Asik's stone hands taking away 2 assists from Lin. You can start a thread about cats and somehow they'll steer the conversation into one of those 4 topics.

5. davek

davek Member

I'm a JLin and Harden fan. Lin EARLY benching was deserved.....But if you had the guy doing well 2nd half....then u pull him off for PB...ok I get it PB played good during the 1st...and you believe he can win the game for us....well stick with it...don't put in JLin in the last 5 min to cover your sorry ass for your PB Mcfailer plan.
    Had Jlin not played the extra 5 min we can logically assume PB loss this game as the main PG. Add Jlin in smooths out the stats min...What a friggin' Dick Mcfail is.

6. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

The reason he is not consistent? He is just not that great. Solid point guard but he will never be a superstar this board either thinks he already is or thinks he can become. I dont hate him on this team but to blame Mchale is incorrect. He is an average PG. Thats it.

7. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I don't see how that covers McHale from anything.

8. davek

davek Member

EXACTLY because everyone can see right thru his lame plan.

1 person likes this.
  9. doggoneit

doggoneit Member

Trade Lin for a PF.

Already got a future superstar PG in Beverley. Superstars have it in their blood, they don't need BS like training camp or first 2 months of season. Joined the team late in January, immediately got ahead of main backup Douglas in rotation, and now seriously possibly replacing Lin as the starter... two guys who have been with team since July.

"Rookie"? No, more "Like A Boss".

On more serious note, to be fair to Bev, he is a good player, certainly not a scrub, he's humble and respectful, and I'm sure the whole rotation/ playing time is not his own calling. Which means...

10. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

What plan was that? Make it seem like it's Lin's fault for the loss?

11. davek

davek Member

Did you even watch the game? McHale wanted to win the game with PB and Jam. :)) I'm gonna call him that from now on. :)
    That game plan didn't pan out so he put JLin back for the last 5 min...covering up his mcFailer PB & Jam plan. :)

12. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Bev had an overall better game. Letting Lin have more minutes wouldn't change the outcome. I don't see how it covers up McHale's plan.

13. seven7seven

seven7seven Member

I know you're joking but in all seriousness, what even half-decent PG would want to go to Houston with a coach that's so PG-unfriendly?

McHale seems to have alienated almost all the PGs he's coached at the Rockets and it looks being that way with Lin too, and Lin is one of the more patient and easy-going players in the NBA. Can you imagine a new star-caliber PG, that many want at Houston, being happy sharing ball-handling duties with the Harden and the rest of the team?

Can the Rockets get a better PG than Lin? Sure, of course, but would they be happy playing the role Lin has had to? I doubt it.

As a LOF who's not ashamed of it, trading him to any team that will let him play as a true PG, even off the bench, I would gladly take it. Feel so bad for Jeremy at the moment and would just like to see him enjoy playing again, even if it's in a crappy team.

14. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

Maybe your boy will put up some good stats tonight, and your world view will get brighter.

In the meantime, have a cookie. I promise when you finish eating it you'll be feeling right as rain.

15. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

How did you know? If Lin get back his PG role, I won't surprise to get different outcome.

16. seven7seven

seven7seven Member

I'm not just talking about the recent games. Lin has not looked too happy playing in this Rockets team for big parts of this season, even when he's putting up decent stats. It's frustrating watching him get yanked out when he's just getting hot and I guess it must be many times more painful for Jeremy to endure that, I would guess. I personally don't care what stats Lin gets, as long as he's being played in the right way and given a good shot of playing well and not being put on a short leash.

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Who stole his pg role?

Unless he can stop Hibbert from getting 28/13, Hansbrough 16/8, and Stephenson 21pts. I don't see how it's possible with Lin playing the way he was. Pacers are a top defensive team.

18. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Man I still can't believe we allowed stephenson of all people to dump 21 on us.....

19. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Harden's man? If so, it's understandable :)

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Already posted somewhere?

Rockets, Lin to try to get scoring going again

Rockets guard Jeremy Lin went from three-consecutive games scoring at least 20 points to three games failing to reach double figures. But Rockets coach Kevin McHale said that might indicate sluggishness and breakdowns of the Rockets’ offense as a whole more than Lin’s play, especially Wednesday against the Pacers.

That can be especially problematic because the Rockets run few plays to determine shots, instead preferring to run an offense built around pace and space. When they do play in the halfcourt and call a set, it is more often for James Harden to handle the ball in pick-and-roll.

“We’re a little more read and react,” McHale said. “It’s systemic to our team not moving the ball, not moving bodies enough, just being a little bit stagnant. Indiana puts you in positions, they do stymie you a little bit. We have to pick our pace back up. We have slowed back down some. This time of year, everybody is getting a little worn out, a little tired. We have to get our pace up.”

Lin’s minutes had been limited by Patrick Beverley’s strong play against San Antonio and the Pacers, and by the rout of the Cavaliers. In the past three games, he averaged six points per game. In the previous three games he averaged 21.7 points.

“I don’t play well without spacing and I don’t play well when we’re really not getting out in transition,” Lin said. “Those are two things we need to get better at, that coach has talked to us about, is pushing the ball more, having the wings run down all the way to the corners, having the bigs run to the post area and having me and Pat pushing the ball and trying to make something happen.

“We have to get back to that formula. It hurts me. It hurts everybody. We’re all figuring it out. I have to keep reminding myself to stay patient and see this as growth. There’s always going to be certain parts of growth you don’t like. You wish you could speed through the process, but it doesn’t work like that.”

For the point guard a lack of ball movement can be especially difficult because he is most likely to give the ball up early in the possession, but not get it back.

“It’s ebb and flow of the season,” McHale said. “Sometimes, it’s going to be there, sometimes not quite as much. He’s had some really good stretches. He’ll find it.”

1 person likes this.