1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The REAL reason why Yao is injured - not what you think.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jul 2, 2009.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

Yao Ming coming into the league, was an opportunistic offensive option, francis and mobley mostly had the ball, and most of his points were opportinistic postups or dishes off penetration. He was very healthy his first 3 years.

The conventional wisdom is that this only changed when JVG came in and turned him into a primary postup offensive option. The conventional wisdom is that because he is now a primary offensive player and posting up a lot more, somehow his injuries have started to mount.

I reject this.

Look at his injuries during the JVG years. osteomyelitis of the toe, kirilenko stepping on his foot, breaking his knee going for a blocked shot on tim thomas. The theme is that these were accidents, you could point to a definitive cause, and you could say that his body was brittle but you could point to the cause of the injuries. And Yao was doing things to limit his injuries, like you would never see him goingn recklessly for a blocked shot, and he rarely if ever dives on the floor for a loose ball these days.

Then JVG got fired.

His really bad injuries came during adleman's first two years, stress fractures both years, this years worse than last years.

Why?

3 factors.

1. When JVG got fired, he became a broadcaster, and he went on air and told everyone that the best way to defend Yao Ming was to front him.

2. Tracy Mcgrady's game worsed over these two years because he is not a good fit for Adleman's offense and natural wear and tear.

3. A combination of 1 and 2 meant that now teams are fronting Yao way more than before.

Basically fronting is causing the huge stresses on Yao Ming, you can see it in games, he is constantly wrestling all the time, and the contact is worse than during postups. During a postup, the level of contact is actually minimal because the refs look to protect the offensive player and the worst contacts are usually a slap on the arm or scratches on the arm or back. During fronting however, the players are pushing or pulling Yao on his feet, creating huge stresses on his foot.

That's why he has had the stress fractures over the last two years, because of the huge increase in fronting defenses. If you eliminate fronting defenses, Yao's injury problems become a thing of the past.

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

it was only a matter of time till someone blamed JVG for this

you are right there is no WAY other teams scouts and coaches would have figured out that front was the one way to stop Yao.

man they all should send JVG gift baskets for dropping that secret knowledge for everyone to hear for free on tv

1 person likes this.
  3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

JVG blaming aside, the fronting part might be a pretty good point

4. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Very interesting perspective. I mean if you're gonna blame it on something, this could be a scenario. But do you really think this is the real reason?

5. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I don't think teams fronted Yao more frequently last year. Teams have known about that weakness for about 5 years. It does seem like teams play him straight up for 3 quarters, and then switch to fronting in the 4th. It usually throws us off because our guards struggle to adjust.

JVG hasn't told opponents anything they didn't already know, though casual fans are probably more aware of it now.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Winner

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

A side argument you just made is that Yao's body is too brittle to handle fronting. Either way, his body is part of the equation.

9. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

/thread

10. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

People woudlve figured that fronting is the best way to guard him..if teams turn to wat i say on national TV..then they should think about firing their scouts..

11. trugoy

trugoy Member

I don't think so, I think the consensus around the league is that fronting is a gimmick defense and it wasn't used that much.

I think teams clued in when the Warriors under Don Nelson used the front successfully against the rockets and many more people started to use it.

12. TreP3

TreP3 Contributing Member

So basically, he was injured because he's a post player? What else would he be at 7'6"? If he can't post up without breaking his feet, then I guess he can't play post defense, either...or basketball period. I think the rigors of the NBA game just caught up with him.

That, and he's brittle. I guess they didn't have the "Milk: Does a Body Good" campaign when Yao was growing up.

13. trugoy

trugoy Member

Err lots of things that are common knowledge now started out as unconventional, NBA teams are not as smart as you think. most tend to follow the herd.

14. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Fronting was not an issue because we had.................

Healthy SF
    than a
    Semi Healthy Tmac

those 2 player will make them pay for fronting.

Last year, we had a bench player, who nobody else wanted, be our primary threat against fronting..........

Of course Teams are going to front.

15. trugoy

trugoy Member

I think any human's body is too brittle for fronting, at least the fronting that happens to Yao. I can't think of any other NBA player in history that has been fronted as much.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

you have got to be kidding me

fronting the post is one of the oldest strategies in the NBA

let me see I have a really big guy who isnt that mobile and will kill me if I am behind him, what am I going to do?

Yao was fronted from game 1 against the Pacers his rookie year.

17. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Correct...however there is one difference.

Today's fronting on Yao in many cases would be illegal defense back than. (Sandwich style)

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

lol at the OP. i haven't laughed out loud in a while in regards to basketball talk.

19. Glacier

Glacier Member

Combination of Yao's battling against the fronting defense and his weight caused the stress in his foot. When fronted, Yao always fights back in a way that his foot has to sustain his own weight and part of his defender's. If Yao returns to the court again, he should try to avoid too much physical battling with the defender. Instead, he should try to move away from the defender to save energy and in the meantime reduce the stress to his lower body.

20. trugoy

trugoy Member

Let me be more clear, there is a difference between how Yao is fronted and how normal fronting works. Normal fronting is a ball denial tactic, it works when you put a stronger player on a taller player and back the taller player towards the basket.

A Yao front is different because although Yao is taller he is also stronger than any fronter, so instead the fronter will try to affect Yao's balance by basically wrestling with him to affect his balance. Basically a Yao front is much more damaging to his feet.