1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Real Problem With Schaub

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgabriel, Dec 26, 2012.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This team has no definded leader. When a team has no leader it usually defaults to the QB. Schaub does not have the mentality.

The Minnesota Vikings have a leader. His name is All Day. When peterson is busting his arse against d lineman do you think other players want to come on the field bullcrapping. you want to go back to the huddle giving half hearted effort when your teamate is peterson?

james harden is another example. the rockets have taken on the ultra efficient no nonsense attitude of their best player to the point they are the most efficient team in the nba.

the texans need andre johnson in a perfect world to step up his leadership in the lockeroom or maybe even watt. cushing was taking on this role and i think his onfield presence isn't the only thing missed with his absence.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

And you know this... how?

These kind of arguments are so ridiculous.

Not only is it subjective, but it's based on stuff that we have absolutely no idea about or insight into.

I'll take the words of the players over yours on this issue.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/09/harvey-texans-see-schaub-develop-into-leader/

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsd...-from-matt-schaub-qb-stands-up-for-teammates/

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/cowboys/article/Schaub-leader-of-this-band-3917795.php

Seriously, there's some legit criticisms of Schaub to be made, but "derp derp derp leadership" and "derp derp derp audible" do not qualify.

1 person likes this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

hi donny

if you stop being a sensative little girl about schaub you will notice that i don't care that schaub isn't a leader, i just want a leader to step up

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

the 3 qualities every starting QB must have:

LEADERSHIP

AUDIBLE

DERP

Yes, which is why you titled the thread "The Real Problem With Schaub".

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Problems with Schaub imo.

1. Unable to improvise when a play breaks down. Some QB's have the ability to make plays out of nothing when the oline breaks down or when the WR's are covered. Schaub can't do this.

Schaub excels at making the right decision when the play is working as expected.

2. Doesn't have an elite arm. It's good enough to get the job done, but he'll miss out on hitting WR's down the field in stride from time to time.

Schaub's success depends on Kubiak drawing up a good gameplan, and the other offensive players doing their job. Since Schaub is a Kubiak system guy it's all on the coach.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its a problem because there is no leader on the team and it has defaulted to schaub and he is not a leader. if the team had a leader it would not matter. but im sure youll keep responding till i beat you into submission

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the reason i say its the real problem is because the entire offense seems to follow his lead.

look i understand this is still a playoff bound team with only three losses so i don't want to seem to be panicking. i think schaub could benefit if there was another player who got in his face when he is having subpar games.

i guess the real problem is this team has no onfield leadership and when they aren't playing from on top against a good team than its a HUGE problem. i don't want to discuss comebacks against suckky jags or lions. they won't face them in the playoffs

8. Anticope

Anticope Member

How do you know the team has "defaulted to Schaub"? Are you in the huddle with them?

The real problem with Schaub is his lack of mobility and composure under pressure which has been exposed even more lately with the troubles on the offensive line. Is Schaub's lack of leadership causing the offensive line to not want to block for him? Of all of the flaws to complain about on this team, the lack of leadership seems like the biggest reach as well as the hardest to prove.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

do you think this team has a leader? who is it?

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

donny i apologize, but i hate when i try to clarify a miscommunication that i will admit i wasn't clear on and you just continue with the "derp derp derp". i shouldn't have called you sensative but this isn't more schaub blasting.

11. Anticope

Anticope Member

Your description of a leader seems to be their best player on the field. So, going by your definition it would be either Foster or Johnson, right?. Is there something that you noticed that AD does in the huddle that makes him the leader? To me, it's just a silly argument, this team has won 12 games with these guys and while there are lots of things to criticize, this just seems like the biggest reach.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

dude if you're going to continue with the stupid in the huddle comments then obviously i can't respond. christian ponder played probably his best game. that's my evidence

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

was Adrian Peterson a leader when his team had 6 and 3 wins in 2010 and 2011 respectively?

what was so leadership like about Peterson when the Texans D kept stuffing him for losses?

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

that doesn't make any sense. you're taking Ponder's performance in one isolated game as evidence of Peterson's leadership?

15. conquistador#11

so true. if he jumped up and down like fire ants were crawling up his arse, andre and the others would respect him!!!!! fire schaub!!! fire kubiak!!! fire the whole team!!! omgz we sucks hard!!!!

( the players, from their own words, believe in him. that's all that matters)

16. Anticope

Anticope Member

What was making Ponder elevate his performance? Peterson was having his worst game in weeks!

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

It is not just skill level, it is temperament. Fiery leaders tend to infect their whole team with their attitude. The Texans have so many "laid back" leaders and players. Kubiak looks like he is almost dozing through the games. Schaub is no ball of fire. Even Wade is a mellow, slow talking guy. Yes, I know, Tom Landry was known for the same quality, and Belichek doesn't appear excited. Nevertheless, the "fire" has to come from some where.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

I just think Schaub in general isn't that good. I said in the Schaub is Elite thread that Schaub can't beat a good team when the run game and the defense are not performing well, which was oddly countered by Schaub fans by stating he beat Detroit and Jacksonville. Like they're actually good teams or something. So TBH, his performance against Minnesota was very predicable once I saw the LOS being dominated by the Vikings DLine.

I don't think the solution is some weird meta chemistry issue. But rather something fairly tangible. The run game can be dominant again to take pressure off of him. The pass blocking can get better so he has a clean pocket. Or Schaub himself can stand tall in the pocket to deliver strikes in the face of pressure.

19. Pringles

Pringles Member

Doesn't Belichek get pretty fired up?

I put this lack of leadership on Kubiak. He needs to fire the team up when the team needs someone to get on their asses.

Kubiak needs to go Jeff Van Gundy on the players if we keep playing the lackadaisically style that we have been for the second half of the season.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Texans have leaders. what they're missing is intimidation. Players don't look across the line of scrimmage and are scared of them. No punishing back. No light-em-up QB. No screaming-for-blood LB. They're finesse players. It doesn't mean they don't have good leaders. Tom Brady doesn't have great leadership skills but he does intimidate defenses because of his play.

Schaub's problem isn't leadership. It's that he doesn't scare defenses. His personality doesn't and his play isn't dominating enough. Johnson shows flashes of this when he catches pass after pass and take hit after hit without "breaking a sweat". But it's not nearly enough.